Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

What do you use for blood pressure and cholesterol control?

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
What do you guys use for this? And how much does it really help with what you use?

as far as otc/herbal options I've read hawthorne berry is good for bp and niacin/red yeast rice is good for cholesterol. I'm goin to get some hberry and already take niacin/ryr for chol but haven't gotten the follow up blood work yet to confirm its working.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
25 mg's lisiniprol , 15 mg's hydczt(diuretic) most important cut sodium. I also added the hawthorne and it seems to have helped drop a few points.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My top ten tips for you :D

1) Keep your oil intake up (coconut oil, omega 3 etc)
2) Make cardio your friend ~ walking is fantastic, you don't have to turn into a runner to get results
3) Eat as close to nature as possible (lots of fruits and veges, raw, unprocessed, organic, fermented/sprouted foods)
4) You can definately get stronger as you lower your bodyfat. MUSCLE MOVES WEIGHT, NOT FAT.
5) Eat smaller portions to reduce overall calories but eat regularly
6) Stay away from sugar(s); fruit is okay though as the sugar absorption is slowed due to the fibre, minerals and other cofactors that are present
7) Look into using some of the best supplements for cholesterol (ones with the most scientific data behind them). Red yeast rice is essentially a natural statin, so this would provide the greatest benefits to you. Other ones worth consideration would be kyolic garlic, hawthorn and EFA's
8) Keep your water intake high
9) Limit coffee/caffeine intake
10) Positive mindset.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thought I would add in a bit of info since people are talking about diuretics, sodium, water manipulation etc...

Serum electrolyte levels (serum is the fluid part of your blood):

• Sodium: 3.2 grams/litre
• Potassium: 0.16 grams/litre
• Calcium: 0.1 grams/litre
• Chloride: 3.5 grams/litre

One litre of sweat typically contains about: 1.15g Sodium, 0.23g Potassium and 1.48g Chloride. These values vary widely among individuals but will be accurate to within about +/- 50%. The actual salt lost during exercise will depend upon the sweat rate (litres per hour) and the concentration of salt in the sweat. Ideally you would know these values but it is fairly easy to make a good guess based on knowledge of how much you sweat (little vs. a lot) and how salty your sweat is (not very or very). If you have salt stains on your clothes and your sweat stings your eyes, chances are that you have significant amounts of salt in your sweat. A rate of one litre per hour is not uncommon for well conditioned athlete. At that rate, typical electrolyte loss rates by sweat are ~1g/hr for sodium, and 0.2 g/hr for potassium.

Potassium is one of the underrated but important minerals, around 98% is found within our cells and it is this the intracellular potassium which is responsible for fluid balance/fluid concentrations within cells plus sodium regulation in the body. Cellular imbalance can be balanced by a simultaneous increase in potassium and reduction in sodium although there are some individuals that's cells are fairly unresponsive to this, often caused by a deficiency in magnesium. If you are looking at increasing your potassium intake and lowering your sodium intake I would suggest running a good magnesium at the same time. If you are increasing your sodium intake and experience an increase in your BP (diastolic being the more important of the two), chances are you need to also increase your hydration levels.

CelluliteBurned

CelluliteBurned

Jun 24, 2015
I take lisinopril as well as doctors prescribtion for maintaing my bp.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I take lisinopril, too. It's good med for athletes (does not cause fatigue), but a lot of people have to be taken off it because it can cause a dry cough.

scotchindn

scotchindn

VIP Member
May 10, 2012
I am on Benicar/HCTZ and amlodipene for BP. No cholesterol meds.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic