Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

What do people like to read/learn about outside the gym?

T

Tron222

Jun 24, 2022
I want to get back into reading more as i think it could be a good mindset to incorporate a healthy dose of reading to my daily schedule. I've recently started GoT but those books are going to take a lot of audio listening to struggle through. What do others read? could be inspirational, informative or just entertaining as a story, i want to add to my list if possible!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I read to learn, so for me it is always hunting, fishing, culture, history, science, etc... I have only read one fiction book in 25 years, Ender's Game, and that was because it was required reading for my profession.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
I'm very much a consumer of an eclectic variety of audiobooks. My morning commute is 40m each way and I find books are a better way to spend that time than music or podcasts.

I'm currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.
Others I've completed in recent history are:
  • The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • The Dorothy Must Die series
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
  • The Long Walk by Stephen King
  • The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by Jack Kerouac
  • Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs
  • Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • Blade Runner by Philip Dick
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  • The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
  • Doctor Who anthology
  • Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald
  • Darth Plaguis by James Luceno
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
  • Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
  • Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
I absolutely do NOT enjoy reading biographies or other works of non-fiction. My target for an audiobook needs to be something 12 hours or less that either makes me think, is pure entertainment or a combination of both. I do not target specific "age appropriate" reading because sometimes I just need something light and often the young adult adventure series fits the bill perfectly after reading something heavy. Personally, I increase the read speed depending on the narrator. Too slow or too fast and my mind is out of it.

If you want my opinion on anything I've read recently, let me know.

Last edited:
Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'm very much a consumer of an eclectic variety of audiobooks. My morning commute is 40m each way and I find books are a better way to spend that time than music or podcasts.

I'm currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.
Others I've completed in recent history are:
  • The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • The Dorothy Must Die series
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
  • The Long Walk by Stephen King
  • The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by Jack Kerouac
  • Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs
  • Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • Blade Runner by Philip Dick
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  • The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
  • Doctor Who anthology
  • Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald
  • Darth Plaguis by James Luceno
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
  • Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
  • Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
I absolutely do NOT enjoy reading biographies or other works of non-fiction. My target for an audiobook needs to be something 12 hours or less that either makes me think, is pure entertainment or a combination of both. I do not target specific "age appropriate" reading because sometimes I just need something light and often the young adult adventure series fits the bill perfectly after reading something heavy. Personally, I increase the read speed depending on the narrator. Too slow or too fast and my mind is out of it.

If you want my opinion on anything I've read recently, let me know.
My attention sucks for reading and have yet to listen to audio books but my son swears by them.. either way, I LOVE movies, and there's a few on your list I think are great.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
My attention sucks for reading and have yet to listen to audio books but my son swears by them.. either way, I LOVE movies, and there's a few on your list I think are great.

If I may make a recommendation for getting into Audiobooks if you're even remotely interested, check out the Libby or Overdrive apps. They are both completely free and work through your public library. All you need is a library card which then allows you access the materials from any library in your network. As an example, my local library card provides access to another 6 libraries across the state.

You can even apply for out-of-state library cards to larger libraries such as the New York Public Library system to expand your options even further. All those books mentioned above all came to me with no cost, no ads, nothing. Highly recommended.

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
I read to learn, so for me it is always hunting, fishing, culture, history, science, etc... I have only read one fiction book in 25 years, Ender's Game, and that was because it was required reading for my profession.

I'll read anything about physics. Especially things regarding quantum wave function collapse, computational complexity, emergent spacetime, entanglement, decoherance, black hole information loss, etc. Also, I love anthropology, sociology, history, neurology, specifically how first party consciousness is generated by the brain.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I have a form of dyslexia which makes reading a lot of text very difficult. My brain processes words out of order. When I write, it does the same thing. When I'm writing a sentence words will be written in the wrong order that I'm thinking them.

I do enjoy reading but most of things that I excel in are medical journals in some cases they are short and to the point which I enjoy gaining the knowledge. Most of my studies in the last 10-12 years have been on viruses.

Audio books are great even though it's not reading James Patterson is pretty much my go-to author

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
Austrian economics and the US Constitution

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
American history, civil war wanted to be a history teacher but didn’t pan out. But I am a history buff for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I spend a ton of time traveling for work. I read lots of true crime books or other non fiction. Listen to podcasts on life, health, true crime, and new technology. Every once in a while I read some non fiction for entertainment.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Read or Listen to Andrew Vacchs RIP. True crime prosecutor who translated true to fiction to sell books about some things he knew about.

Books are quirky, kinda like soft core versions of Thomas Harris' books about Doctor Lecter.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I read a lot. For non-fiction I tend to listen to audio books and for fiction I prefer to have the actual book in my hand.

For non-fiction, I love books about communication, persuasion, business and how all that wraps up together. Two great reads are Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss and Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini. Chris Voss was one of the FBI's lead hostage negotiators and his book contains many tactics, examples, tips and trick on negotiation. Robert Cialdini is a Psychologist and specializes in the science of influence and how it applies in business, as well as other areas of life. I also enjoyed Extreme Ownership by Jocko Wilink (former Navy Seal) and for motivation check out Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. David Goggins is a motivation power house and certified bad ass.

For fiction, I'm a thriller, horror, sci-fi fanatic. I have to have the actual book in my hand for fiction, as it's an escape from reality for me. Two good sci-fi thrillers to get started and really get your mind thinking, you can check out Dark Matter and Recursion by Blake Crouch. These were page turners for me. I couldn't put them down.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic