Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What cardio machine is best to use at the gym?

V

Vernon

Hello guys....!
What cardio machine is best to use at the gym? Also what are some good strength training exercises? please help me. Thanks in advance.....!

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
Hey Vernon. Experience? Time off? Just starting for first time?

[I am assuming you have worked out before...but you are way out of shape. (Like I was) :)]

I used the AMT (variable elliptical) to lose some weight and prepare for lifting after several years off. Worked great. It's a machine where you can get your whole body into it and get out what you put in.
After about 6 months, I began to mix in circuit training and moved up in weight with longer rests between sets as my strength came back.
About 4-6 months into the hard circuit, I began lifting heavier weight in a more traditional split.

Hope this helps...but let us know what your experience level is and what goals you have. There are some folks here that REALLY know their stuff. Given the right info from you, they can help you a lot!

Best,
-CC-

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I like the elliptical, mostly because they are behind the hot girls jogging on the treadmills. That and they don't hurt my knees :)

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
I use a Jump rope, best cardio EVER!!!

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
I like the elliptical, mostly because they are behind the hot girls jogging on the treadmills. That and they don't hurt my knees :)

I have told my gym owner to put the ellipticals BEHIND the treadmills, as you have at your gym. Not big enough I suppose. But the weights are not too far from the treadmills so I can act like I am watching TV or resting while site seeing. LOL

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Rowing ERG is one of the best pieces of equipment that you will find in your gym. Performed correctly it will hit most parts of your body. I perform tabata intervals on that machine, so I'll get something lke a 5-10 minute warm up then go into 8 intervals of 20 second full on and 10 seconds rest. HIIT positively effects cardiovascular ability, body composition, glycogen recomposition ability and amount, this all translates into being a more superior athlete as well as more effective lifting.

Best strength and power exercises. As far as strength and power go, squats, benching, deadlifts, rows, presses and pullups/weighted pull ups and any variations of these exercises within proper reason are great to build strength and power. For more explosively dedicated excerises, Olympic lifts like the snatch and cleans. For general strength building purposes, sled pulling and pushing, stone lifting.

BGMRC

BGMRC

Dec 24, 2010
1 swimming
1a jump rope
3 stepmill

but yall need to remember that if ur not able to breath correctly durning the excersize....ur not burning ur fat sources as energy....ur burning anything...and that protien/muscle...

ull never see a mid to top level bodyduild doing anything to hard or fast...they are looking to hit the fat storage only....and that how its done....controled but good carido....usally in the morning before food....or right after workout due to the fact that there carb source is burned out durning the workout...they usally hit the medium speed tredmill...or ollipitcal...or bike...never to challanging....cant be if u want to hit the fat only

burning fat and cardovascular endurance is 2 totally different things bro...

can ya tell i was a trainer for 10 years....haaaaaaa

BG

Last edited:
W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Well the question was, which machine was the best. As far as fat burning goes during exercise it's pretty irrelevant, a majority of fat burning takes place after a routine is complete and the body goes into oxygen debt. Sure you'll see top level bodybuilders do intense cardio, Layne Norton was pretty high on the natural bodybuilder level and used HIIT. You'll never see huge 280 pound guys who have been using anabolics, peptides, gh and slin do it, frankly because it's too hard on their body. It's also scientific fact that HIIT is more effective at visceral and subcutaneous fat burning than LISS is.

Fasted cardio is an archaic training style. There have been studies that have shown that even moderately trained people will not suffer any sort of fatty oxidation interruption by the consumption of glucose even when ingested at half hour intervals over a period of running for 2 hours at around 65% of VO2max. Same exact levels of fatty oxidation as when they performed fasted cardio. With the same train of thought, post workout cardio because glycogen levels have been diminished also makes little sense. Both in the realm that there's no real reason why cardio directly after working out would burn any more fat, when fat oxidation has a finite limit and to why someone would choose one of the best opportunities to reintroduce carbohydrate into the body when it is at one of its most sensitive points for glycogen recomposition would replace it with cardio.

Cardiovascular ability directly correlates with the ability to burn fat. A person in superior cardiovascular condition will have better nutrition partitioning, higher levels of glycogen stores and the ability to perform cardio at a higher intensity than an untrained person while remaining at a lower percent of their own VO2 max.

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
I like using either the elliptical or the arm bicycle (both from Technogym). The elliptical makes you burn a lot of calories and the arm bicycle is great as a warm up before a shoulder workout or if you don't wanna use your legs.

BGMRC

BGMRC

Dec 24, 2010
Cardiovascular ability directly correlates with the ability to burn fat. A person in superior cardiovascular condition will have better nutrition partitioning, higher levels of glycogen stores and the ability to perform cardio at a higher intensity than an untrained person while remaining at a lower percent of their own VO2 max

while i deff agree to that...

what i was trying to say that when i see a guy mostly untrained in the gym going as hard as he can and just killing himself to no end is not burning fat.....

and attackin ur body 100% to build up ur cardio endurance...while a great thing...is not fat burning

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
stepmill...........hands down (don't be a pussy and lean on the hand rails)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic