Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

What can I expect with New wraps and Oly shoes?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Referring to squatting for this topic and curious to what some of the guys say about what's to be expected once I implement new knee wraps and new squatting oly shoes.

I've only used wraps mayyyyyybe 3 times in my life and it was years ago. For those that don't know, I'm getting my feet wet for the first time in a PL meet (competing in Full Power-220lb class-raw modern) for October....only recently have I switched up training in prep for this meet and I'm a complete newb (numbers aren't impressive) when it comes to this sport but I'm learning, absorbing and implementing new things every day from a few trusted brothers.....battled a few injuries on the way but as I prep for a new program starting in july; I'm really eager to increase the numbers but also give myself the best shot at moving the most amount of weight.

I'm only squatting in socks or chucks with no wraps at all for now....just a belt. For my birthday at the end of the month, I'm treating myself to:

new Adipowers http://www.adidas.com/us/product/training-adipower-weightlifting-shoes/DA847
New wraps: http://www.roguefitness.com/sling-shot-knee-wraps.php
and although off topic, I'm grabbing a slingshot also to try and get used to heavier weight while working on my pathetic bench.

Current squats are up 30%...yes 30% since I've tweaked some things over the past 8 months.

405 x 2 is my current rep PR, I haven't done a 1RM attempt in a while but with the new program I'm running (14 weeks designed for PL'ing in prep for the meet), I'm thinking that I may have 460 or higher for the meet.

What type of difference do wraps and proper shoes make for you and what would you think I were to expect by implementing both of these into my regimen on heavy days?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry I can't comment much on the knee wraps. But you will like the sling shot. It protects your shoulders and it's fun to use.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Depending on the wraps because they're all different; but I would hazard a guess with the slingshot brand, that you will get a good rebound at the bottom. Imagine yourself squatting down but with a bunch of fabric behind the knee too. You won't truly understand what they can do for you until someone else who knows wtf they are doing wraps you.

The shoes will help keep you more upright and stable and powering thru the heels.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Depending on the wraps because they're all different; but I would hazard a guess with the slingshot brand, that you will get a good rebound at the bottom. Imagine yourself squatting down but with a bunch of fabric behind the knee too. You won't truly understand what they can do for you until someone else who knows wtf they are doing wraps you.

The shoes will help keep you more upright and stable and powering thru the heels.

We need to squat soon. I'm grabbing a membership at the other place next week...FYI. I'll be fully moved by the end of the month

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
We need to squat soon. I'm grabbing a membership at the other place next week...FYI. I'll be fully moved by the end of the month

**** yeah dude. We'll need to work out a training schedule, even if it was just once per week or something. I have such a boner right now.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
**** yeah dude. We'll need to work out a training schedule, even if it was just once per week or something. I have such a boner right now.

Well if things go well (meeting tomorrow morning at 9a with consultants and VP's up north of the city) I'll be working less hours, less driving and closer to you, me, the gyms etc which should be by mid July. Once/week is the bare min once things get sorted out for us to train.... I was thinking we could get the 2 big lifts in each week at least. Either way, I'm pumped (and crossing my fingers) that things are starting to line up well for me....first time in a while.

I can almost feel it poking through the screen by the way! :-c

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
The shoes will make a night and day difference, no compression of the soles will allow for all the power to be transferred back into the lift. I hope the surgeon is done with my shoes soon, really need em for Monday. He had a perplexed look on his face when I dropped them of, WTF are these expression.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It's different for everyone.

I have good hip and ankle flexibility so when I tried the oly shoes for my raw squatting it made no difference at all.... other guys have made huge gains and had an easier time hitting depth.

I am really good with equipment and can take a really tight wrap so wraps add a lot to my raw squat ~600 without them and 720 with..... some guys can't take a tight wrap so they don't get anywhere near as much.

Either way just make sure that you get a lot of practice using the new wraps and shoes before your meet so there are no surprises.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Getting new toys is always good for motivation, I got my haul in a few months back...

537371_10151242558038720_1278158709_n.jpg

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I agree with Porky, really important to make sure that you are well versed with whatever you are planning to use in your meet. Even something as basic as shoes or DL slippers ~ make sure you know how you perform in them and therefore you will eliminate any surprises on the day of the meet.

I think you will like the Slingshot if you go ahead and get one, well worth the money. I found it really helped my technique, especially staying tight and keeping my shoulders in.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You'll add pounds to your squat with just the shoes. With your stance and style of squatting they'll pay off big time. With the wraps it's different for everyone but it's common to get 50lbs with a semi tight wrap (I say semi tight when you have someone who knows how to wrap). I've never used those so I don't know if they are more cast like or more rebound'ish. You'll have to play with them and see.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
thanks for the input guys. POB knows my squat well and I have no problem with depth at all, biggest issue is keeping the chest up to eliminate my ass coming up and bowing my back as a result.....either way, I find a way to get the weight up but that's why having a coach is so vital to give me the calls. Weight drives from the heels, decent hip flexibility....working my way up to 500 at a fast pace.....he seems to think the shoes will get a nice boost also.

Good news is that I'm ordering the shoes in 2 weeks and the meet is 17 weeks away so I'll have ample time to acclimate.

as for the wraps, I saw those....haven't researched as much as perhaps I should.....I'm all for advice on quality and I can take a tight wrap, we went through a trial wrap last week but the material was thick and I didn't feel the snap back rebound as I have with others with more elasticity. so if anyone has ideas for wraps, shoot them to me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic