Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

What builds/spares more muscle high carb moderate protein or high protein low carb when calories are equal?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
It's going to take some time to reach that goal, so look at it from a long-term goal.

I would not cut down carbs that much if you are actually trying to gain muscle...at least personally I wouldn't do it. Like Wilson6 stated, it all depends on how you want to go about all this. For me, when trying to gain extra muscle size, I like to consistently bump my calories as needed through the year. I wouldn't go from say 3,000 to 7,000 right off the bat (i'm exaggerating here, but making a point). I like to always have 'tricks in the bag' to pull out when I get to a sticking point. From a caloric standpoint, i'd bump it a few hundred calories every few months or so. How you do that will probably come down to your carbs and proteins. I like to keep my fats constant.

There are so many ways to do this.

Let's say I am at 1.0-1.3g per pound of LBM, I would ride that until I hit a sticking point, then bump it up 0.1g, then ride that out. I would keep doing this until I get around 1.5g/pound of LBM. I would slowly bump carbs up before pushing more protein at this point....for me. After you do that, then you can come back and start increasing protein again.

For carbs, lets say I am at 150g/d (just using as an arbitrary example). If I hit a sticking point, i'll increase it 25-50 grams on training days probably. Then eventually every day. Then, like protein, i'd bump it another 25-50 grams, etc, etc. as time goes on.

I like my carbs to be moderate-high when gaining size, and protein right around 1.5'ish g/LBM or BW.

The problem with going from 1g/pound of LBM (or weight if you want to use that) to 2g, is that it can muck up digestion if you are not used to eating that much, especially as calories continue to go higher and higher. That's why I like to bring it up a little slower and feel it out, and I rely a little more on carbs. I do good with that personally.

For leaning down, I keep my protein constant right at 1.5g/LBM or in weight.

That said, for me, staying consistent on eating and training is what gets me to my goals. Breaking strength barriers and getting progressively stronger on my movements throughout the year. Once you sort of max out your diet (you can only eat so much until you have to start eating a lot more junk food), the training is what makes the difference for me, long-term.

That's kind of how I go about it, but i've tried many ways that work. For me in importance: total calories > Macros>

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
CRAP! I read your long post above wrong. I'll keep my post above, but you are wanting to cut down some.....and not gain size. My bad.

I always rely more heavily on protein when dieting down. By the time I get to the point where I am cutting down, i'm usually right at, or around 1.5g of protein per LBM or BW. I will usually keep it constant, and fluctuate my carbs downward from there. Maybe eventually fats the final months as needed. I usually don't ever go too excessive with fats. However, I would make sure you are at least getting 2-4g/d of EPA/DHA at all times though from fish oil, even at your lowest amounts.

Your goal is not that far off. My weight can fluctuate 5'ish pounds easily day to day.

That's roughly and quickly what I do.

D

dashriprock

Aug 30, 2022
It's going to take some time to reach that goal, so look at it from a long-term goal.
I'm making progress. In another year or so I should have it.

111111.png

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Generally lower the total calories, more protein you will need. So earlier in the diet phase where carbs and calories are higher, less protein needed. Then as you cut your carbs and even fats to further drop calories, you will want more protein.

D

dashriprock

Aug 30, 2022
Now you’re looking at daily averages? You were just talking about 400g a fucking day of protein.
You said get the fat to 75g

I asked why.

I pointed out my daily average fat is 51g.

Depends on the cut of meat.

19Norris

19Norris

Feb 5, 2023
You said get the fat to 75g

I asked why.

I pointed out my daily average fat is 51g.

Depends on the cut of meat.
You can get fat from other sources. Nut butters and olive oil etc. You’re pretty low with carbs so adding fats would be a major benefit for you. You’ll notice more energy in the gym. 51g a day is pretty low to me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic