What attracts you to a gym?

Discussion in 'General Health Forum' started by hoodlum, Apr 27, 2015.

1. hoodlum

hoodlum MuscleHead

Jan 3, 2012
    Help me out TID, what exactly is it that attracts you to a gym?

When you enter the door, is there a specific piece of equipment that would make you leave your current gym and sign at a new one? Do you train at your gym because it has an abundance of leg equipment? Do you train somewhere because the dumbbells go heavy as shit? Are you attracted to a functional area (sled pulls, etc) or is it a waste of space?

I know a lot of you will probably just say the atmosphere but what is it that makes that... do you want a place with heavy music, a place no one speaks to you or a place with an amazing community?

2. PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance Strength Pimp Staff Member

Feb 27, 2011
    The smell of sweaty balls

Competition bench

Monolift

Bar selection

People bigger and stronger than me

No dbag personal trainers

No bosu balls

bikrash, SFGiants and 5.0 like this.
  3. Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7 MuscleHead

Jun 11, 2014
    The above plus Chalk is allowed and noises and actual lifting.

Clanging plates

Bending bars

Teams are permitted

Good friends but no idle banter. Everyone recognizes there's a purpose here.

4. Morph83

Morph83 New Member

Feb 23, 2015
    My choice in gyms are limited. We had a new one open up near by but the monthly cost/hours aren't what I like. So, I go with anytime fitness. Paid 380 for the year, it's open 24/7 (including holidays). Downfall, DB stop at 100 at all but one of the anytime in town, and I find myself waiting "in line" for lesser experienced gym goers. But, I don't go to a gym for and piece of equipment, I make work what I've got available. That being said, if I HAD a larger gym near by, id definitely be hitting that up.....for motivational purposes.

5. Docd187123

Docd187123 VIP Member

Dec 2, 2013
    If it has better equipment than mine....

woodswise likes this.
  6. bikrash

bikrash New Member

Jun 4, 2014
    The smell of sweat and iron. The presence of some really big dudes, because they are an inspiration and usually are glad to help you with form, spotting, and just advice. A cold water fountain that comes out strong. Big iron, huge dumbells, I might never be able to lift them, but they are there just in case.

7. DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong VIP Member

May 27, 2013
    Women with skwat asses wearing Lulu Lemon?

Mike_RN likes this.
  8. RAIDEN

RAIDEN VIP Member

Feb 22, 2012
    The less people, the better.

GL77 likes this.
  9. IronCore

IronCore Bigger Than MAYO - VIP

Sep 9, 2010
    Pizza and Milk Shakes!!!!!

10. Mike_RN

Mike_RN Senior Moderators Staff Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Donkey Calf Raise
    Standing Hamstring Curl
    Vertical Leg Press.

Chances are if the gym has these three. It's got everything else a Bodybuilder needs.

11. FLEXjs

FLEXjs TID Board Of Directors

Apr 23, 2012
    All the gyms around here these days are all the same and they all suck.

Back when I first started lifting in the late 80's we had a few Gold's Gym and a couple Powerhouse gyms.

They are both long gone and the big franchise places have taken over just about everything. They are all "Fitness Centers" now with too much cardio equipment and televisions and machines and dumbbells that only go to 80 or maybe 100 if you're lucky. No chalk allowed, pop music always and they frown on deadlifting.

I train at World Gym, which is sort of kind of better but getting worse all the time. At least we have dumbbells to 150 (4 sets) but they've been trying to clamp down on chalk and deadlifting. I know the owner and have known him for 25+ years so I don't get hassled much. But this is the last club within reasonable driving distance that has some remnants of what a good gym was like back in the day but it's fading fast.

Mediocrity is sweeping the nation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    What I look for in a gym.....

• Squat Cage
    • Competition Bench (or thereabouts)
    • Specialty Bars
    • Bumpers
    • Chains
    • Bands
    • Chalk
    • Athletes training there.... and I'm not talking about bbers.

Now in a perfect world there would also be a monolift.