Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What are you guys shooting these days?

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
I am about to purchase this 12ga for another home defense weapon.
Any info or feedback before I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-153911_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-153911_Chrome.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 46
Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I am about to purchase this 12ga for another home defense weapon.
Any info or feedback before I do?
To me they are overpriced, and an AR will outperform in a home defense situation, the KSG looks cool and futuristic but a Remington 1100 with an extended tube will throw down serious firepower faster if your heart is set on a shotgun.
The AR will throw more projectiles downrange quicker and if need be is quite effective with one hand taken out of the fight.
I once was a fan of the shotgun for home defense but 3 decades of running an M-4 configured weapon changed that, throw a 30 or 60 or 100 rd Beta mag on your AR and invite the home invader to bring some friends along;)
They are also MUCH easier to operate and control for smaller (female) team members to use when backing your play.
YES a 12 ga is great for home defense, an AR is just much better in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
The only thing I shoot is my .22 rifles. Because I have buckets of ammo I got cheap. No ammo on shelves around here so just keeping what I have. Shooting a nice easy gun just for keeping sharp is where I’m at these days. And since I’m not hitting any indoor ranges anyway Its more fun.
I have had my ruger 10/22 forever and love it. Picked up a Henry AR-7 which is a really cool little gun. Have a moss berg 702 which I haven’t taken out in a while. Keep my little smith 638 locked up next to bed because My wife can handle it easy enough if need be. Both shotguns and the .357 have collected dust for a while. Was never a big gun guy, I just kept ended up getting more guns as time went on.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
The AR will throw more projectiles downrange quicker and if need be is quite effective with one hand taken out of the fight.
I once was a fan of the shotgun for home defense but 3 decades of running an M-4 configured weapon changed that, throw a 30 or 60 or 100 rd Beta mag on your AR and invite the home invader to bring some friends along;)

I mean is there anything better for home defense than the sound of pumping a shotgun? I personally wouldn’t be want to have to use it as I like my guns rifled. But how many projectiles are you going to be needing to go after the guy who is trying to steal your tv? I learned in the army that if you are having to shoot that much your probably fucked or panicking. Unless a SWAT team is breaking into your house which is probably your biggest threat to be killed by a he
Invader TBH. My five shots of 38 special P+ is going to handle just about anything I’m dealing with and to be honest I’m grabbing a baseball bat first anyway.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011

I mean is there anything better for home defense than the sound of pumping a shotgun? I personally wouldn’t be want to have to use it as I like my guns rifled. But how many projectiles are you going to be needing to go after the guy who is trying to steal your tv? I learned in the army that if you are having to shoot that much your probably fucked or panicking. Unless a SWAT team is breaking into your house which is probably your biggest threat to be killed by a he
Invader TBH. My five shots of 38 special P+ is going to handle just about anything I’m dealing with and to be honest I’m grabbing a baseball bat first anyway.

Matt, the guy breaking in at night is not after your tv, the burglars come when you are not home, the BAD guys come when you or your wife and kids are home.
The "sound of a pumping shotgun" is no deterent to someone that is hyped up on either drugs or adrenaline and is an EXCELLENT method of giving them your position, the element of surprise is on your side.
Dial 911 and then toss the phone across the room for them to listen and record get it away from you.
Swat teams are not that likely to bust in but then most of this shit doesn;t happen in the usa but nice to be prepared if it does.
I disagree on the rounds on hand if you run out then you are out and fumbling around in the dark trying to reload unless you have drilled reloading a revolver in the dark under duress.
We all have thoughts and opinions on these matters.
Cheers

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Using an AR for home defense... if you miss won't it go through the wall, the outside wall, and into your neighbors house and everything (everybody) in between? I love ARs, but it's not my planned first go-to weapon for home defense.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Using an AR for home defense... if you miss won't it go through the wall, the outside wall, and into your neighbors house and everything (everybody) in between? I love ARs, but it's not my planned first go-to weapon for home defense.
Not any worse than anything else the round choice is a big factor to consider some ammo can be obtained as "frangible"
12ga with buckshot or slugs is more likely to cause collateral damage albeit you should never pull the trigger if you have any doubt as to hitting your target, which we are talking about a human torso sized target in generally an area or hallway that is not more than 20 feet or so, any less distance and they may not be considered a credible threat in the eyes of the liberal court system.
I know what works in an urban environment and what I will stick with, generally speaking as we are because we have NO IDEA of the other fellows training and or skill level when they ask for opinions I feel obligated to give what I deem is best for the amateur/recreational shooter.
Pistol is not a great choice as it is overall less accurate and less powerfulthan any long gun and has limited magazine capacity with revolvers.
(My bedside gun is a Glock 19 though....I have ran one since the early 90's)
Shotgun is very lethal no doubt it is also cumbersome and not as accurate with quick follow up shots, has somewhat limited ammo capacity and is nearly impossible for the average female shooter to use.( in the most common 12 ga.)
AR is accurate, light and easy to maneuver has incredible magazine capacity and women and smaller people can handle them easily with very fast follow up shots.
I don't sell AR's and don't have one in my waist band daily as each weapon has it own niche, i LOVE my 870 for what it is and am very proficient with it however for home defense it is secondary.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
(My bedside gun is a Glock 19 though....I have ran one since the early 90's)
I have handguns (autos, high cap mags) in a little safe under my bed. My thinking is that, other than trap league, most my training is in handgun and I have taken lots of self defense courses including at least one in home defense. Also, given that the range in the home is going to be maybe 10 feet max I don't need rifle accuracy and with the shorter swing of a handgun's barrel its faster to get on-target. But my thinking is I will be reacting to someone already in the house. If someone is outside and threatening to break in and I have time I'd grab something bigger. Which reminds me that I've gotten lazy with my flashlight practice.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I have handguns (autos, high cap mags) in a little safe under my bed. My thinking is that, other than trap league, most my training is in handgun and I have taken lots of self defense courses including at least one in home defense. Also, given that the range in the home is going to be maybe 10 feet max I don't need rifle accuracy and with the shorter swing of a handgun's barrel its faster to get on-target. But my thinking is I will be reacting to someone already in the house. If someone is outside and threatening to break in and I have time I'd grab something bigger. Which reminds me that I've gotten lazy with my flashlight practice.

The BEST home defense gun for ANYONE is the one that they are the most proficient with;)
A moron with 5000 rds and a cannon is not very scary compared to a skilled fighter with his favorite firearm and decades of practice:)
keep the faith brother

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013

If you think buckshot will notgo through drywall you might want to think again. A shotgun slug will too. If you are shooting any type of load besides a slug you are responsible for each & every one of those BB’s flying around. I’ll take my chances keeping track of one round instead of who knows how many. A lot of people don’t realize a shotgun will go through drywall.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
A lot of people don’t realize a shotgun will go through drywall.
But a shotgun past 100 yards will tickle you. An AR is deadly at a mile.

Any gun, in an enclosed space like a house room, is going to be loud as hell too. That's got to account for something.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic