Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What’s everyone’s hobbies?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I collect stuff. My favorite athlete..Mike Tyson! Have tons of stuff signed, gloves, magazines, boxing shorts, boots, photos. Even met him a few times in Vegas when he does private signings and meet and greets.

I have a huge sports memorabilia autograph collection (balls, bats, magazines, shoes, gloves, etc)
Everything from signed baseballs from Mickey Mantle to Joe Dimaggio to signed Air Jordan 11s by Michael Jordan, to autographed fielding gloves from Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols. Signed jerseys from Barry Bonds to Michael Jordan to Kobe Bryant to Miguel Cabrera.

Waiting on my $100 bill I sent to Chicago a few weeks ago to be signed by Johnny Manziel.. LOL

I also collect Air Jordan 11s. Have like 30 pair from the last 15-16 years.

That can’t be easy stuff to acquire.?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
@ItalianMuscle I imagine he could get a small fortune for one of Holyfield's ears. Downsides there are it's hard to sign one to increase its value, his inventory would be limited, and counterfeit ears made out of godknowswhat would make people hesitate before buying.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
That can’t be easy stuff to acquire.?

Ive been collecting stuff since the late 70s. I used to have a Star Wars collection that I never should have sold, but I was getting married, I wasn't really working a lot, and I needed money to pay for wedding and ring. I guess you could say it was worth it, because Im still married after 13 years. :)
(Comic books, action figures still in their boxes, etc)

But I was really involved with sports collecting in the 80s, back when athletes like Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken, Darryl Strawberry, George Brett, etc were very popular. Had a huge baseball card collection I also sold off, that I wish I never did. I used to just collect rookie cards. My prize and joy were my Carl Yzstremski and Pete Rose rookie cards. (Both were near mint/mint) I had a 52 mickey mantle, but it wasn't mint. More/less just in good condition, but I had one.

It also helps to know people. During my years of collecting, my dad has helped out too. He has been scalping tickets for over 40 years, so he knows the right people in the box offices, and gets access to athletes, etc. Ive picked up team signed balls like Detroit Pistons from the 89/90 championships. And I also have a few team signed hockey sticks. And some individuals. Never paid anything for them, but I have purchased alot over the years too.
Back in the80s and 90s you could get stuff signed for free or maybe pay like $10-20 for an auto. Nowadays, you want a Pujols autograph, be prepared to pay $300 at a signing. I had a chance to goto Tom Brady private signing, but they were charging like $1000 per, and inscriptions were a few hundred extra. Ridiculous..

I also know an upper deck dealer, thats how I was able to acquire some Michael Jordan stuff. He wont even signed send in items anymore. But I should have bought his account like 5-6 years ago when he offered it to me. Only reason I didn't buy it, because Jordan didn't renew his contract with Upper Deck. Otherwise I would be dealing Upper Deck signed stuff on the side. I could have made a killing. I could basically undercut everyone, and beat any online price.
At the time, Lebron James was their top athlete, but Lebron has a love/hate relationship with the fans, so his stuff doesn't sell as fast as Jordan. But its still collectable.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Wow. Never got into collectables, but I am a Boxing fan. If you ever want advice or hints there, Dan Raphael, the espn head boxing writer, is a batshit crazy collector of Boxing items. Not sure if he trades or sells, but he might point you in the right directions. HE of course is connected in the Boxing world and would enjoy advantages you don't, but he (might) be helpful. I can envision the possibility of him having Tyson stuff even Mike doesn't, esp. from his early career.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Only thing I really collect (other than guns) is autographed photos of muscle babez I hang in my workout area. I've got the likes of DLB, Nicole Wilkins, Raye Hollitt, plus some "fitness models" like Cindy Landolt, Linda Steele, and Savanna Rehm.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Only thing I really collect (other than guns) is autographed photos of muscle babez I hang in my workout area. I've got the likes of DLB, Nicole Wilkins, Raye Hollitt, plus some "fitness models" like Cindy Landolt, Linda Steele, and Savanna Rehm.

You had my attention at “guns”!!!

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017

My pistol collection is DEEP.
If I didnt live in fascist era italy I would start collecting rifles, but im not buying these gay ass post ban assault riffles they are shit.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Wow. Never got into collectables, but I am a Boxing fan. If you ever want advice or hints there, Dan Raphael, the espn head boxing writer, is a batshit crazy collector of Boxing items. Not sure if he trades or sells, but he might point you in the right directions. HE of course is connected in the Boxing world and would enjoy advantages you don't, but he (might) be helpful. I can envision the possibility of him having Tyson stuff even Mike doesn't, esp. from his early career.

I have gloves signed by Tyson with his full name.. Michael Gerard Tyson. You cant even find them like this anymore, and Tyson wont sign it that way either. His signature has changed over the years. I have another pair of gloves where you can actually see all his lines/strokes, they are beautiful signatures. Now when he signs, its pretty quick and painless for him. Only other boxing athlete I started to collect is Mayweather. I have a pair of boots signed already. Im waiting for him to do another public signing in Vegas, which is rare, so I can get these black boxing gloves signed, and probably have him sign a $100 bill too. LOL

I know who Raphael is, but like you said, Im not sure if he trades or sells either. I would have to talk to him.
Boxing stuff is hard to find. IF you ever goto sports collectable shows, there maybe 1 or 2 collectors selling and thats it.
Ive met both of them in the past, but they don't have anything I really need or want. Maybe a rocky Marciano auto, but those are ridiculously priced too if you can even find a real one.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
My pistol collection is DEEP.
If I didnt live in fascist era italy I would start collecting rifles, but im not buying these gay ass post ban assault riffles they are shit.

I have a few. ;-) I went from a state that wanted to keep you on lockdown back to about the most 2nd amendment friendly state you can imagine!

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I have a few. ;-) I went from a state that wanted to keep you on lockdown back to about the most 2nd amendment friendly state you can imagine!

Texas I assume..

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
@ItalianMuscle that's some cool stuff. I sold a shit ton on my baseball cards back in the 90's, bought a used car which was great timing, right before Ebay and all that shit. Still have sealed boxes in the basement, I give my kids sealed packs from the 80's and 90's cause they are cheaper than 2019 Topps, lol
Had a ton of autographed cards, think my best is my 1958 Billy Martin. Had him sign in some church in Brooklyn or Queens, pretty sure he was drunk at the time, was late 80's early 90's. Still have like 10K comics in my basement, need to inventory them, same with baseball, football and all other assorted cards. Have a bunch of old Brooklyn Dodger stuff, my dad grew up close to Ebbet's Field in the 50's.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic