Weighted side bends....yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Female Training Discussion' started by shan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. tightglutes

tightglutes TID VIP Lady Member

May 1, 2012
    My waist is 24 lean and I never do anything to the side to prevent widening it.

2. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    Suitcase Deadlifts are good.

3. TenaciousA

TenaciousA VIP Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Coach just schooled me for continuing to do weighted abs....so not anymore.

4. Jenner

Jenner LeanMachine Staff Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Would never do them...waste of time IMO

5. Ripitup

Ripitup VIP Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I disagree here, you don't have to do one crunch, or sit-up, or leg raise, or any direct ab workouts to have a rock solid abdomen. You use your stomach muscles in almost every single weighted movement that you do in the gym. You get a rock solid abdomen by using your mouth properly (i.e. diet).

6. shortz

shortz Beard of Knowledge VIP

May 6, 2013
    Direct ab work is actually completely unneeded. I agree with this statement. However, I do prefer to have some indirect work through some lower intensity core movements, like the ab wheel, planks, hanging leg raises, alternating supermans etc.

Even if you never did ab or core work, the abs don't actually grow a tremendous amount to begin with, so a nice, full 6 pack is still very obtainable without anything at all save for a good diet.

7. kbordner

kbordner <b>VIP Pops</b>

Dec 18, 2012
    Weighted side bends have to be the stupidest movement ever invented. I only ever see fat people doing them anyway. They seem to mistake flab for oblique's.

8. dr jim

dr jim MuscleHead

Apr 7, 2014
    Developing atrophic muscle is a GOOD THING since it pulls the fat, fascia and overlying dermis INWARD providing a thinner appearance.

The best way to achieve this benefit is no different than any other muscle group INCLUDING ABS, high repetitions and low weight.

I found obliques as an 'isolation exercise" can be helpful providing they are performed as an agonist/antagonist exercise (the static contractile forces of one oblique works against the rotary contractile force of the opposing oblige) WITHOUT USING ADDED WEIGHT.

This is best accomplished using an approximately 4 foot horizontal cylindrical "stick" placed over the Traps and grasped with both hands. The motion involves SLOW rotation AND side bending against the opposing set of obliques.

jim

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit MuscleHead

Jun 7, 2012
    Love them and incorporate DB Axe chops as a superset. I also believe in Nutrition timing, the toothe fairy, doing things people say can't be done.