Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Weighted side bends....yay or nay?

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
My waist is 24 lean and I never do anything to the side to prevent widening it.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Coach just schooled me for continuing to do weighted abs....so not anymore.

Ripitup

Ripitup

MuscleHead
Aug 29, 2013
I disagree here, you don't have to do one crunch, or sit-up, or leg raise, or any direct ab workouts to have a rock solid abdomen. You use your stomach muscles in almost every single weighted movement that you do in the gym. You get a rock solid abdomen by using your mouth properly (i.e. diet).

if you want tight abs, you have to work them everyday, or almost every day. i work mine M-F every morning. have done as many as 300 HLRs every day for 2 months with ankle weights. bothered my back so now i am keeping to less than 100 and added back crunches.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I disagree here, you don't have to do one crunch, or sit-up, or leg raise, or any direct ab workouts to have a rock solid abdomen. You use your stomach muscles in almost every single weighted movement that you do in the gym. You get a rock solid abdomen by using your mouth properly (i.e. diet).

Direct ab work is actually completely unneeded. I agree with this statement. However, I do prefer to have some indirect work through some lower intensity core movements, like the ab wheel, planks, hanging leg raises, alternating supermans etc.

Even if you never did ab or core work, the abs don't actually grow a tremendous amount to begin with, so a nice, full 6 pack is still very obtainable without anything at all save for a good diet.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
Weighted side bends have to be the stupidest movement ever invented. I only ever see fat people doing them anyway. They seem to mistake flab for oblique's.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
NAY

You'll thicken your obliques.

Developing atrophic muscle is a GOOD THING since it pulls the fat, fascia and overlying dermis INWARD providing a thinner appearance.

The best way to achieve this benefit is no different than any other muscle group INCLUDING ABS, high repetitions and low weight.

I found obliques as an 'isolation exercise" can be helpful providing they are performed as an agonist/antagonist exercise (the static contractile forces of one oblique works against the rotary contractile force of the opposing oblige) WITHOUT USING ADDED WEIGHT.

This is best accomplished using an approximately 4 foot horizontal cylindrical "stick" placed over the Traps and grasped with both hands. The motion involves SLOW rotation AND side bending against the opposing set of obliques.

jim

Last edited:
Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Love them and incorporate DB Axe chops as a superset. I also believe in Nutrition timing, the toothe fairy, doing things people say can't be done.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic