Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Weighted Push Ups.....

RopeandSaddle

RopeandSaddle

May 13, 2023
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to hear you guys opinions on Weighted Push Up's and what kind of gains you have seen off of them? I've read on a lot of bodybuilding forums many think they are too hard to load and such.

I've been training functional body movements with weights for 4 years, started at 130 lbs soaking wet and went to 195 over the 4 years, using mostly weighted dips and pull ups paired with a lot of rows, deadlifts, and squats. Mostly all functional movements, as my life depends on my functional body strength as an arborist / tree climber.

I recently got a Kinsui Weighted Vest that holds up to 225 lbs in plates. So far I've loaded (4) 25 lb plates (100 lbs) on it and did (5) sets of 10.

It is easy to load and I think I'm going to switch from dumbells to weighted push ups for a while as I've been on the DB's for a long time and feel like my body needs change. Not to mention with the closed chain, open chain, I feel like I can rep out more reps with the same weight resistance, because with push ups I can train to failure and drop to the ground. Absolute True Failure with a barbell would be dropping a bar on me.

Any opinions on the Kensui 225 lb max pro vest and weighted push ups??

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I love movement where the body moves through space naturally. I guess we can call it calisthenic type movement. You can definitely see serious gains so long as you’re actively using the target muscle. I always say, do what feels best for you.

L

lamarclark09

Mar 13, 2023
Your workout plan is amazing but if you want to switch then Push ups would be the best options for consideration, but it seems like they aren't good for you.
So always choose those things which are suitable for you and your fitness level.
According to me doing weighted push ups would be best because it increases the level of intensity, it helps in building muscles in your shoulders, chest and core.

Last edited by a moderator:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I guess you could say I do weighted pushups and burpees. I do them in full load out. Level 3 plate armor with full kit (likely around 30 pounds) plus battle belt with Glock, med kit, 3 loaded mags, etc.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
When using push up bars, yes, I like them. Otherwise, with just a flat palm on the ground the tricep trains to failure before the chest ever does. If you go with wider grips and different hand positions to take out emphasis off the tricep, the front delt gives out before the chest does.

It is the same with standard pull ups. Your arms and shoulders fail before your back does.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic