Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Was thinking of adding front squats to increase depth

J

james_s_carroll

May 29, 2011
I was thinking of adding front squats to increase my hip flexion and deepen my back squat.

Thoughts?

does anybody know a tried and tested approach for improving competition squat depth for a RAW competitor.

thanks and warm regards,

Jc

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think training for depth in the squat is mostly about hams and glutes whereas the front squat blasts the quads. You should have a large variety of squats in your repertoire including front squats. But for depth, make sure you are doing accessory exercises like glute ham raises, stiff legged deads et al; as well as box squats and quite simply - back squats hams to calves.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I see lots of raw guys on my team ( won't name names, but a few guys totaling at or above 2000 raw) do front squats once in a great while.... but not for the purpose of stretching anything or hitting depth.

If you aren't hitting depth raw it's a form issue. No muscle is so tight that it won't let you hit depth, your singlet isn't too tight..... just form. Usually just bending over so far that your hips come up.
If you post a video I can say for sure.... but 90% of the time its either:
1) you're afraid of the weight, so you're cutting it high..... solution: man up.
2) You are sitting back to far and putting the weight in your back. Because I train in gear 99% of the time I do this when I squat heavy raw...... solution: unlike a geared competitor who wants to sit back in to the suit and load the hips/gear. A raw squatter wants to drop the hips straighter down. It's harder on your knees but easier on hips and it lets you drive with your quads and hit depth easy.
3) you are too wide ( feet) or are bent over and your belly/belt/chest is hitting your knees, but your ass is up in the air way above //..... solution: keep your head UP and your chest UP...

either way, good luck

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Nothing to add here.

Great replies.

Hawk

J

james_s_carroll

May 29, 2011
Thanks guys - video'd myself a few times. brought my stance in a few inches and hit hams to calves no issue.

knew it had to be something simple .....

looked back in the training log and yep - I have had the issue since i widened my stance

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I was thinking of adding front squats to increase my hip flexion and deepen my back squat.

Thoughts?

does anybody know a tried and tested approach for improving competition squat depth for a RAW competitor.

thanks and warm regards,

Jc

Front Squat are done by many Powerlifter to build quad strength I do them as well.

If you want to train your body to go lower 1st you need to lower the weight and I would use a box, set it as low as needed.

Why I say lower the weight is once the weight starts getting really challenging you start to squat higher and it takes a lot of practice to learn to take max weight to a good depth.

Last edited:
TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
Nice responses by Porky Little Keg and SFGiants.

I work front squats occasionally for two main reasons. One is to strength the quads. Two, and this is the big one for me, is to force me to keep my weight back and upright. In the past I've had issues with my weight trying to drift forward coming out of the hole on my really heavy squats. Working front squats forced me to sit back and not let my weight get forward at all. Put 405 on your shoulders on a front squat and try letting your weight drift forward just the slightest bit.. guarantee you're dumping the weight.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
If u want a bigger squat stick with your box squats and standard squats...focus on depth every rep..Front squats will not help your squat go up.For me it more of a bb movement...Its a awesome exercize to build the lower tear drops.......Same as hack squats....dw

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Helluva great responses here. Shows alot when true experience is talking.

M

moya

Sep 1, 2011
anyone have thoughts/opinions on front squats as deadlift accessory work?... that is how i have implemented them lately, and i was able to get through a nasty plateau...

F

Flathead

Jul 20, 2011
Agree with pretty much everthing mentioned above.

Another good tool to work on squat depth/out of the hole strength would be to incorporate some BB Hack squats w/ elevated heel configuration.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Some great answers. I also like box squats. Definitely builds power out of "the hole" and Oly squats are nice too (but are a bitch to do).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic