Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Want to buy a Bench Shirt - Need Advice Please

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
So I think (knock on wood) my shoulder issues may be behind me. I tore my bicep tendon off at the shoulder last July. Took 3.5 months off from training.

Started again in November. Was weak as fuck and still in pain. Was refused repair surgery.

Pain has subsided and I am prepping for a PL meet in April.

I am trying to catch up on bench so I'm doing 2 sessions a week (Wed and Sat).

I thought I might get a bench shirt for one session to give my shoulders a break. So the plan would be to train Wednesday raw and Saturday train with a shirt.

I don't want anything too crazy; just a bit of support.

What should I get and how do I know what size?

Thanks in advance,

FLEX

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I wouldn't do the shirt. Not the same technique at all.

Check out a shoulder saver from elitefts or benchblox.

The_Northman1522

The_Northman1522

Jul 11, 2016
There are some benefits to a bench shirt, but saving your shoulder bicep isn't one of them. I've the same injury about ten years ago. Bodybuilding training made it stronger. Also training with a slingshot helped tremendously.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I have the bench blox. Don't like using them.

Also have a slingshot. I only use it for overload training.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The slingshot provides zero shoulder support. A shirt will.

My suggestion is to get a single ply that you can pull on easily yourself. Something a size or three too large and already broken in. Cut the back open so it's easier to get in to.
I have a loose, old Titan F6 that I use when I'm training "raw" after tearing a pec chasing a 600 (actually raw) bench in contest...... it gives a tiny bit of support and gives compression to actually keep you safe. It's loose and old enough that I can use my raw bench technique in it and can touch with 135. Zero learning curve and it probably doesn't give as much support as a slingshot.
Even better if you can find someone selling an old Frantz or Crain poly like what the old timers used.

Get on powerlifting watch's classified section or look on outlaw powerlifting. There's always stuff on there.

With that said, if it's a muscle tear it'll heal fine, tendon tears are trickier.

If you're not looking to compete in gear there's no reason to even go full range in a shirt. Another option is to get in to a shirt that's a little loose but close to your size and just use it to overload off of boards. You'll build your forearms and triceps and your raw weights will feel light.... just an option to think about.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thank you sir.

I bought an Inzer "Standard Blast" shirt this weekend. Mrs Flex measured my shoulders at 56 and I bought a 58 shirt based on their suggestion to add 2 for first timers.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Thank you sir.

I bought an Inzer "Standard Blast" shirt this weekend. Mrs Flex measured my shoulders at 56 and I bought a 58 shirt based on their suggestion to add 2 for first timers.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
That should be a great starter shirt..... if you're not going to compete single ply, do yourself a favor and cut the back open so you can get in without looking like one of those flailing inflatable tube men that stores use to advertise sales.....

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Got my shirt today.

I don't think there is any way in hell I can get into it. :(

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic