Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Vitamin C to curb Cortisol?

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Does anyone else still do this? One of Chad Nicholl's suggestions to lower cortisol during contest prep was to take 2 grams of vitamin C a day. Did it work? IDK, but I did it when I was in contest prep. Now that I'm just lifting as a hobby without intending to compete for a least a very long time, aside from having a largely stress induced auto-immune disease, there's really not much point to reducing cortisol per se, but I'm back to taking it because if nothing else, it's been ingrained in my head that cortisol is the chemical anti-Christ. What are your personal opinions, of fact based opinions on trying to minimize cortisol levels? Just curious.
Thanks!

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I've always kept my vitamin C dosage around 2,000mg per day. (1,000mg in the morning and 1,000mg in the evening) I've seen some of Chad's comments on it during contest prep, but I keep mine from 1,000-2,000mg all the time.

I've seen a lot about Ashwagandha for reducing cortisol. For a while it started to sound like the Holy Grail supplement, but more recently I've been seeing more posts about some of the possible side effects with it. I keep it in my routine here and there.

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
Ashwughanda is probably more effective but you don't want to use it for more than 14 consecutive days without a break

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
I used to throw ashwagandha in with my protein shakes, tastes horrid. Vitamin C is probably a cheaper fix to be "good enough" for my purposes I assume.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Vitamin C works I used to take upwards of 10 grams a day when blasting and it alone cut my soreness in half. NOW foods works well with the 1 gram tablets.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Vitamin C works I used to take upwards of 10 grams a day when blasting and it alone cut my soreness in half. NOW foods works well with the 1 gram tablets.
shit it's water soluble so I know side effects are low, but you didn't have any side effects from that much vitamin C? the scene from "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" where the interviewee reads a laundry list of side effects, then turns around the paper he's reading off of to show that it's all side effects to vitamin C, still sticks in my head...but maybe I'm too cautious then, hell it's a cheap vitamin.

2ndWave

Nov 16, 2020
When I hear about side effects of Vit C, in huge doses like 10 G/day, I sometimes wonder if it's the vitamin C, or all the additives in the capsule/tablet, like magnesium stearate, silica, etc etc. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I didn't have any sides that I know of which doesn't mean there aren't any. I did try Ester c and pure vitam c powder and regretted it ...bad stomach acid a loose stools. Recently tried pure vitamin c in capsules and acid again!

2ndWave

Nov 16, 2020
@ Massive G -- I was just wondering: Did you take that Vit C on an empty stomach, or with food? Sometimes, that makes a difference.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
@ Massive G -- I was just wondering: Did you take that Vit C on an empty stomach, or with food? Sometimes, that makes a difference.
Yes I take all my supplements with food.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic