pbtom
What's New?

Viral Arthritis

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Hello TID,

I've been out of lifting for about 1.5 years for basically something doctors couldn't ever figure out and basically said I had viral arthritis. Had every blood test they could throw at me along with nerve conduction studies. Whatever it was I couldn't lift a milk jug without pain for over a year. Couldn't lift due to pain. It' sucked. Felt like I had severe tendon strain in my shoulders, hips, and arms from heavy lifting except I've never had pain like this from lifting. Hit me when I was on hiatus so it wasn't lifting. But I'm finally over it enough to get back in gym. I hope to be visiting here regularly again and hope all the members have been training and doing well. Peace.

Prime

Last edited:
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
wow, Welcome back prime. If you or they ever figure out what caused it to begin, or what is causing it to subside, clue us in. Sounds like you're in mid-recovery, hoping you can declare FULL recovery soon. As long as you didn't have viral muscle memory loss too your comeback should start way better than someone who just walked into his first gym. Looking forward to progress reports.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
wow, Welcome back prime. If you or they ever figure out what caused it to begin, or what is causing it to subside, clue us in. Sounds like you're in mid-recovery, hoping you can declare FULL recovery soon. As long as you didn't have viral muscle memory loss too your comeback should start way better than someone who just walked into his first gym. Looking forward to progress reports.

Thanks brother. I've managed to keep a decent physique(considering no lifting) but am very weak. I'm not completely over it but almost(fingers crossed) My shoulders and right arm still complain so I'm working super lightweight sets.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011

I am fairly confident that I had the chikungunya virus looking over my travel history and symptoms of this virus. Some people have joint issues for years after being exposed to this virus. There is a test to look for antibodies but my HMO doesn't offer it.

Lifting does seem to aggravate my shoulders a bit so it's still a slow start. I can only do presses with a block on my chest right now because of my rom and the pain i get when the bar is close to my chest. I do think I will continue to lift with blocks as part of my training as a go forward because it's so much easier on my shoulders.

https://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/index.html

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
sorry to hear about your condition, it really sucks when you have disabling pain and Drs. can't find anything wrong. My left shoulder is causing me major pain and ive had xrays and an mri with no definitive issue. Many small things that could add up to the issue but nothing for sure. Anyway, ive been trying everything to work around the shoulder pain on ALL upper body lifts and have found I need to keep my elbows tucked even on pulling movements so I stick to low row movements and for pressing I saw a dumbbell movement on mike o'hearn's utube video's where you use db and hold them together palms facing each other and the pain is minimal. have you tried using deca for joint pain relief? good luck on your recovery.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
sorry to hear about your condition, it really sucks when you have disabling pain and Drs. can't find anything wrong. My left shoulder is causing me major pain and ive had xrays and an mri with no definitive issue. Many small things that could add up to the issue but nothing for sure. Anyway, ive been trying everything to work around the shoulder pain on ALL upper body lifts and have found I need to keep my elbows tucked even on pulling movements so I stick to low row movements and for pressing I saw a dumbbell movement on mike o'hearn's utube video's where you use db and hold them together palms facing each other and the pain is minimal. have you tried using deca for joint pain relief? good luck on your recovery.

Thank you . Actually I was trying out some NPP for last 3 months and and I felt good enough to start working out again. I stopped it because of sexual sides(or perceived) and my shoulders are hurting again and I am sidelined until shoulders are able. So I am not sure its coincidence. I will probably try it again after more time and see if joints feel better. I have also changed my grips in my presses and keeping shoulders in to avoid extra stress on shoulders. I think I have bursitis and my left definitely feels impinged at certain angles.

I hope your shoulders improve with time. it's frustrating when injury or disease holds you back from making progress.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic