What's New?

Ventrogluteal Injection site

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hip (Ventrogluteal) Site For IM Injection

1. Find the trochanter. It is the knobby top portion of the long bone in your upper leg (femur). It is about the size of a golf ball.

2. Find the anterior iliac crest. The nurse will help you find the bone landmarks.

3. Place the palm of your hand over the trochanter. Point the first or index finger toward the anterior iliac crest. Spread the second or middle finger toward the back, making a 'V'. The thumb should always be pointed toward the front of the leg. Always use the index finger and middle finger to make the 'V'.

4. Give the injection between the knuckles on your index and middle fingers.

5. Stretch the skin tight.

6. Hold the syringe like a pencil or dart. Insert the needle at a right angle to the skin (90
degree).

7. You may give up to 3 ml. (cc) of fluid in this site.

Very easy site to fine, very few nerves, almost zero pain. Great spot for short esters.

Ventrogluteal Injection

Attachments

• VG-3.JPG
    VG-3.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 41,998
  • VG-4.JPG
    VG-4.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 11,485
Last edited:
AeroSpaceEngineer

AeroSpaceEngineer

Sep 19, 2010
Nice write up, if you would like another idea for a write up I know many people do not know about z-track's.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Nice write up, if you would like another idea for a write up I know many people do not know about z-track's.

I could write that up, and might actually have that already. Biggest problem I ever see are these, people don't know where the sites are, proper injection technique, and lastly they do the injection way to fast. The key fact that people forget because I think there nerves are "shot" :) pun intended, they push the plunger in to fast, then pull the dart out to quickly resulting in the oil coming back out because of pressure.

Key fact to remember is after the dart is in, hold it steady, lightly and slowly push the plunger down; should take about a minute + depending on the amount of oil, then when the dart is empty, give it about 20 seconds, grab the prep pad, slowly start pulling the dart out, then the very second the darts out, immedietly put light pressure on the site with the prep pad for about 30 seconds. Then cover the site with a bandage to prevent infection.

Any questions let me know.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Nice, I was gonna recommend that you post about this, but it seems you already have. I think this will be a sticky for now.

AeroSpaceEngineer

AeroSpaceEngineer

Sep 19, 2010
I could write that up, and might actually have that already. Biggest problem I ever see are these, people don't know where the sites are, proper injection technique, and lastly they do the injection way to fast. The key fact that people forget because I think there nerves are "shot" :) pun intended, they push the plunger in to fast, then pull the dart out to quickly resulting in the oil coming back out because of pressure.

Key fact to remember is after the dart is in, hold it steady, lightly and slowly push the plunger down; should take about a minute + depending on the amount of oil, then when the dart is empty, give it about 20 seconds, grab the prep pad, slowly start pulling the dart out, then the very second the darts out, immedietly put light pressure on the site with the prep pad for about 30 seconds. Then cover the site with a bandage to prevent infection.

Any questions let me know.

Nope, no questions here. I'm well accomplished when it comes to this. I was just merely throwing ideas out.

Last edited by a moderator:
JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Z-track injection

Definition
Z-track injection is a method of injecting medication into a large muscle using a needle and syringe. This method seals the medication deeply within the muscle and allows no exit path back into the subcutaneous tissue and skin. This is accomplished by displacing the skin and subcutaneous tissue 1–1.5 inches (2.5–3.75 cm), laterally, prior to injection and releasing the tissue immediately after the injection.

Purpose
The Z-track method of intra-muscular (I.M.) injection is used primarily when giving dark-colored medication solutions, such as iron solutions, that can stain the subcutaneous tissue or skin. It is also the method of choice when giving I.M. medications that are very irritating to the tissue, such as haloperidol or vistaril.

Precautions
Precautions taken when giving Z-track injections are all aimed at preventing the medication from leaking into the subcutaneous tissue or skin. These precautions include:

•Do not give a Z-track injection into skin that is lumpy, reddened, irritated, bruised, stained, or hardened.
•Add 0.3–0.5 ml of air into the syringe after drawing up the correct dosage of medication.
•Change the needle after drawing the medication into the syringe.
•Select a long needle (2–3 inches; 5–7.5 cm), depending upon the size of the patient, with a 21- or 22-gauge needle to place the medication deeply within the muscle.
•Give Z-track injections into a large muscle in the buttock (the gluteus medius or gluteus minimus).
•Aspirate on the syringe before injecting the medication to be sure not to hit a blood vessel. If blood appears in the syringe, a vein may have been hit. Remove and discard the syringe and medication. Start over with a new syringe, fresh medication, and a new site.
•Caution the patient not to wear restrictive clothing that could put constant pressure on the injection site.
•Rotate the injection sites from one buttock to the other and from site to site.
•Do not place injections into a disabled limb. If there is decreased circulation, the medication absorption will be affected and abscess formation can occur.
•Never inject more than 5ml of medication at a time when using the Z-track method. If a larger dose is ordered, divide it and inject it into two separate sites.
Description
To give a Z-track injection, use the non-dominant hand to move and hold the skin and subcutaneous tissue about 1–1.5 in (2.5–3.75 cm) laterally from the injection site. Alert patients when the medication is about to be injected. Ask them to breathe through their mouth and to try to relax the muscle to avoid muscle resistance. Continue holding the displaced skin and tissue until after the needle is removed. Dart the syringe rapidly into the site at a 90° angle. Aspirate on the syringe to be sure that a blood vessel has not been penetrated. Inject the medication slowly into the muscle. Be sure that the syringe is completely empty, including the air, before withdrawing the syringe. Withdraw the syringe and immediately release the skin and subcutaneous tissue.

Preparation
Wash both hands and put on gloves. Check the medication label before giving the medicine to avoid medication errors. Be sure it is the right medicine, the right dose (strength), the right time, the right person, and the right

method. Note the expiration date on the label. Do not use outdated medicine. Draw the correct dosage into the syringe including 0.3–0.5 ml of air. Discard the uncapped needle in a needle-box and attach a new sterile needle. Provide privacy and position the patient on the side with the knee slightly bent to relax the buttock muscles. Expose the buttock only, using the patient's clothing or a drape. Use the landmarks defined in the I.M. injection section to identify the desired injection site along the gluteus medius or gluteus minimus muscle. Prepare the site with an alcohol swab by rubbing the swab firmly in a 3-inch (7.5 cm) circle from the center of the site outward to remove bacteria from the skin. Allow the skin to air dry.

Aftercare
Apply gentle pressure to the site, using a dry gauze pad, if necessary. Do not rub the site. Continue pressure if bleeding occurs, and apply a bandage, if necessary. Replace the patient's clothing and allow the patient a 5-minute rest period. Then encourage the patient to walk about to enhance absorption of the medication. Discard the used syringe and uncapped needle in a needle-box. Place gloves and used swabs in a plastic trash bag that can be sealed and discarded. Wash both hands when the procedure is complete.

Complications
The complications of a Z-track injection are not common, but include tissue staining, bruising, abscess formation at the injection site, and severe pain at the injection site. Notify the physician if any of these conditions are noted.

Results
Medication administered by Z-track injection is absorbed rapidly from the muscle into the bloodstream. The effects are seen over hours to days, depending upon the medication given

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
I'm gonna have to try that ventro site, u said it was good for short esters, what about linger ones like omnedren or sust?

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Very good info, and your right about the pain free. Im well steeped in anatomy and this is a great place to inject.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm gonna have to try that ventro site, u said it was good for short esters, what about linger ones like omnedren or sust?

Its good for any ester, because of the low movement and few nerves, its hard to feel anything. It is nice having another spot for when on

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
What size pin are you using here?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
good info,but to me its a waste..i rather stick with site injections....dw

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Ummmmm, the part in bold below... FUCK THAT SHIT!

Definition
Z-track injection is a method of injecting medication into a large muscle using a needle and syringe. This method seals the medication deeply within the muscle and allows no exit path back into the subcutaneous tissue and skin. This is accomplished by displacing the skin and subcutaneous tissue 1–1.5 inches (2.5–3.75 cm), laterally, prior to injection and releasing the tissue immediately after the injection.

Purpose
The Z-track method of intra-muscular (I.M.) injection is used primarily when giving dark-colored medication solutions, such as iron solutions, that can stain the subcutaneous tissue or skin. It is also the method of choice when giving I.M. medications that are very irritating to the tissue, such as haloperidol or vistaril.

Precautions
Precautions taken when giving Z-track injections are all aimed at preventing the medication from leaking into the subcutaneous tissue or skin. These precautions include:

•Do not give a Z-track injection into skin that is lumpy, reddened, irritated, bruised, stained, or hardened.
•Add 0.3–0.5 ml of air into the syringe after drawing up the correct dosage of medication.
•Change the needle after drawing the medication into the syringe.
Select a long needle (2–3 inches; 5–7.5 cm), depending upon the size of the patient, with a 21- or 22-gauge needle to place the medication deeply within the muscle.
•Give Z-track injections into a large muscle in the buttock (the gluteus medius or gluteus minimus).
•Aspirate on the syringe before injecting the medication to be sure not to hit a blood vessel. If blood appears in the syringe, a vein may have been hit. Remove and discard the syringe and medication. Start over with a new syringe, fresh medication, and a new site.
•Caution the patient not to wear restrictive clothing that could put constant pressure on the injection site.
•Rotate the injection sites from one buttock to the other and from site to site.
•Do not place injections into a disabled limb. If there is decreased circulation, the medication absorption will be affected and abscess formation can occur.
•Never inject more than 5ml of medication at a time when using the Z-track method. If a larger dose is ordered, divide it and inject it into two separate sites.
Description
To give a Z-track injection, use the non-dominant hand to move and hold the skin and subcutaneous tissue about 1–1.5 in (2.5–3.75 cm) laterally from the injection site. Alert patients when the medication is about to be injected. Ask them to breathe through their mouth and to try to relax the muscle to avoid muscle resistance. Continue holding the displaced skin and tissue until after the needle is removed. Dart the syringe rapidly into the site at a 90° angle. Aspirate on the syringe to be sure that a blood vessel has not been penetrated. Inject the medication slowly into the muscle. Be sure that the syringe is completely empty, including the air, before withdrawing the syringe. Withdraw the syringe and immediately release the skin and subcutaneous tissue.

Preparation
Wash both hands and put on gloves. Check the medication label before giving the medicine to avoid medication errors. Be sure it is the right medicine, the right dose (strength), the right time, the right person, and the right

method. Note the expiration date on the label. Do not use outdated medicine. Draw the correct dosage into the syringe including 0.3–0.5 ml of air. Discard the uncapped needle in a needle-box and attach a new sterile needle. Provide privacy and position the patient on the side with the knee slightly bent to relax the buttock muscles. Expose the buttock only, using the patient's clothing or a drape. Use the landmarks defined in the I.M. injection section to identify the desired injection site along the gluteus medius or gluteus minimus muscle. Prepare the site with an alcohol swab by rubbing the swab firmly in a 3-inch (7.5 cm) circle from the center of the site outward to remove bacteria from the skin. Allow the skin to air dry.

Aftercare
Apply gentle pressure to the site, using a dry gauze pad, if necessary. Do not rub the site. Continue pressure if bleeding occurs, and apply a bandage, if necessary. Replace the patient's clothing and allow the patient a 5-minute rest period. Then encourage the patient to walk about to enhance absorption of the medication. Discard the used syringe and uncapped needle in a needle-box. Place gloves and used swabs in a plastic trash bag that can be sealed and discarded. Wash both hands when the procedure is complete.

Complications
The complications of a Z-track injection are not common, but include tissue staining, bruising, abscess formation at the injection site, and severe pain at the injection site. Notify the physician if any of these conditions are noted.

Results
Medication administered by Z-track injection is absorbed rapidly from the muscle into the bloodstream. The effects are seen over hours to days, depending upon the medication given

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic