Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

UFC Fight Night 221: Yan vs. Dvalishvili 03/11 7 cst

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
This card will have some fireworks. Kryov vs Spann will be a banger!

135 lbs.: Petr Yan vs. Merab Dvalishvili Very interesting matchup. Yan has shown he can beat wrestlers. This will be a step up for Merab
206+ lbs.: Alexander Volkov vs. Alexandr Romanov This fight does nothing in the ranks really but is a good match. Big 6'7" Volk vs 6'2" Romanov
205 lbs.: Nikita Krylov vs. Ryan Spann Great matchup. Both guys have won 2 in a row. Both guys are at home on the feet or the ground. If Spann can take Nikita's back it's all over.
145 lbs.: Ricardo Ramos vs. Austin Lingo Ramos has the experience advantage, the up and comer Lingo is a well rounded fighter that has not beaten any names yet. Ramos is a gatekeeper at this point but should be a competitive matchup.
135 lbs.: Said Nurmagomedov vs. Jonathan Martinez Said beat Ramos who is above him in the card. Said will do what he does, wrestle vs Martinez who is a good striker and fun to watch.
205 lbs.: Vitor Petrino vs. Anton Turkalj

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I'm interested to see how this Nurmagomedov vs Martinez fight goes. Martinez dominated Cub Swanson in his last fight, and he looked amazing. I know it's a totally whole different fight style against Said, but i'm interested to see how it fizzles out.

Krylov has looked phenomenal in his last couple of fights. Spann completely obliviated Dominick Reyes in his last fight. I agree, it's a great matchup!

I like watching Yan fight, he is fun to watch, but his attitude bugs me. I feel he got ripped-off the last couple of decisions, so he probably wants to end the fight before putting it back in the judges' hands. Merab has looked phenomenal in all of his last many fights. He is non-stop action, like a ball of energy similar to Volkanovski. I can't wait for this fight. I can't put down a prediction, but i'm hoping Merab wins.

I'm kind of tired of watching Volkov. He is pretty much a gatekeeper at this point. I'm hoping Romanov wins so that he can rebuild another run upward in the rankings. His only loss, his last fight, was against Tybura who is tough as nails, but at most is a gatekeeper as well. I feel Romanov is better than Tybura, and if they fought again, it would be a different outcome in his favor......BUT, lackluster fights will not move him up the ranks, so until he fixes that, then it's his own fault.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Asuncao vs Grant should be fun on the prelim card.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Ramos missed weight by 8 pounds! Soooo.....the fight was called off.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Just caught the last 2 fights:

Bautista/Cannetti
Petrino/Turkalj

Both fights were damn good. The Petrino/Turkalj was pretty insane. Bautista will break into the top 15 and will make his mark, he is pretty damn good!

Nurmagomedov/Martinez coming up next!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not sure I agree with the Martinez decision. I'd have to rewatch it again though. Seemed as if Said did just enough to win despite slowing down some toward the end. Martinez didn't really inflict much damage after losing some time control to Said....imo. Thoughts?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Krylov/Spann fight was pretty good. It ended in the first round.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Absolute domination in the final fight!

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
BantamweightMerab Dvalishvilidef.Petr YanDecision (unanimous) (50–45, 50–45, 50–45)55:00
HeavyweightAlexander Volkovdef.Alexander RomanovTKO (punches)12:16
Catchweight (215 lb)Nikita Krylovdef.Ryan SpannSubmission (triangle choke)13:38
BantamweightJonathan Martinezdef.Said NurmagomedovDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)35:00
BantamweightMario Bautistadef.Guido CannettiSubmission (rear-naked choke)13:18
Light HeavyweightVitor Petrinodef.Anton TurkaljDecision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 30–27)35:00

WOW! Merab is as his name suggests, a MACHINE! His entrance on those takedowns is incredible. Also, if he does not get it, he lets go and strikes rather than grind. Most exiting wrestler in the UFC, change my mind! Yan is a beast, Merab vs Cejudo? WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES Let's hope this plays out.

Volkov stuffed a TD that apparently Romanov shot his whole wad on and easy finish with ZERO damage. Good for him

I told my son, Spann needs to keep it striking. Then he jumped into that triangle. it was tight from the start. Spann lost momentum and Krylov gained some.

Happy Martinez won, I missed it but was pleasantly suurprised as I thought they were just feeding Said a tomato can. NOPE!

Davey grant comes back from getting owned to get a reverse triangle win. I heard they stood it up at one point which lead to the sub but need to read some more.

• Fight of the Night: Vitor Petrino vs. Anton Turkalj
  • Performance of the Night: Davey Grant and Bruno Gustavo da Silva

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
It was a super good card!

It's amazing that the Merab/Yan fight did not get one of the 2 bonuses!!! It was a crazy good fight, so it says something about the rest of the card. I would have had no issues with Merab getting performance of the night after being a cardio nightmare for a full 5 rounds. I missed the Grant/Silva fight, but knew it was gonna be a good one. I just missed it by a fight or 2 when I logged in to watch the event:( I could see how the Petrino/Turkalj fight got fight of the night, it was back and forth with submissions, escapes, and reverse submissions, and stand-up!

Yea @jipped genes a Merab vs. Cejudo fight would be super fun to watch.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Oh, and I agree about Romanov! What a gdamn joke of a performance that was. If he got cut, i'd understand. Two very lackluster fights in a row with no effin' heart in either one. Get your damn cardio in line and stop gassing out after 1-2 minutes. I mean, this is the top of the top in the UFC....get with it or suffer getting cut. At least show some damn heart and passion.

I agree with the Spann fight too. It was fun while it lasted.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic