Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Turmeric for Diabetes - Clinical Results

strongarm

strongarm

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2010
Research is ongoing concerning the benefits of curcuma longa or turmeric for diabetes. The results of a recent study from Sweden indicate that curcuma longa may stimulate insulin secretion.

There are two main types of diabetes; type I and type II. There are some variants, including gestational diabetes which only affects pregnant women.

In type I diabetes, the insulin producing cells are damaged. Without insulin, the cells of the body cannot absorb energy from glucose. It is a life-threatening situation. Type I typically shows up in young people. It was at one time referred to as juvenile diabetes.

Type II has been called age-related or adult-onset. What researchers have learned is that normal aging does not cause the condition. It is caused by unhealthy diet and lifestyle. There may be some genetics involved, as it seems to run in families. But the increased incidence among family members could actually be due to the family diet.

In type II, insulin is still produced, but the cells of the body have become resistant to it. They no longer recognize it. Once again, the cells cannot absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

Because of the differences in the two types, the recent study about turmeric for diabetes indicates that curcuma longa could be beneficial for type I, but not for type II. There is a long list of nutrients that could be beneficial for both types.

Alpha lipoic acid improves insulin sensitivity, which helps to decrease blood sugar levels. Bilberry extract helps to prevent the complications common in diabetics.

Corosolic acid mimics insulin. For type I patients, it could reduce the need for insulin. For type II patients, it could correct the high blood sugar levels caused by insulin resistance.

Green tea, gymnema sylvestre, inositol, bitter melon and many other plant extracts or nutrients have proven benefits for both types of the disease. They also help reduce the risk of complications.

There are many diabetic-specific supplements on the market. I believe the best is Diabet-Eze by Xtendlife. It contains everything mentioned here except for turmeric.

If future research provides more evidence about the benefits of turmeric for diabetes, Xtendlife is likely to add it to Diabet-Eze. It is already included in their Total Balance supplements.

By Valerie Rosenbaum

RandallSmith30

RandallSmith30

Nov 28, 2011
I am diabetic, specifically Type 2 diabetic. I love turmeric and i hope it will also help me control my diabetes. i also take some green tea, omega 3 and love to eat bitter melon. this is very great and helpful information to us who are suffering from the said chronic disease. thanks so much!

F

FitnessFreek

Dec 11, 2011
Good information here. Diabetes runs in my fam so I bookmarked this!

lymbo

lymbo

TID Lady Member
Dec 21, 2011
I use turmeric extract powder it all the time it has great benifits...I read studies it can fight cancer

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Dr. OZ recommends turmeric

I take the capsule form, can't seem to find a tea or powder

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic