Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Turbolag's Back Surgery And Recovery Log

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey everyone. I had back surgery 07/03/2013 to repair two herniated discs in my lower back. (L4-L5, L5-S1). I wanted to start this log to document my recovery process so other people interested in surgery can see how my progress is after surgery.

So yesterday morning (07/03/2013) we arrived at Methodist Hospital in Houston, Tx at 9:30AM. We checked in and I was called back to get into a room and change and get ready. The staff at the Methodist Hospital is awesome, everyone was so nice and professional.

So I stayed in the room until Pre Op was ready for me. I think they came to get me around 3:30PM. So I go back and the nurse starts the IV. I waited in there about 20 minutes and talked with the anasthesia team and the Dr. Performing surgery. He scribed my back and told me they would be coming to get me soon.

So the anasthesia nurse comes in and gives me a generous dose of Verset, then they started wheeling me off to the OR. That's all I remember for the surgery part.

Next I woke up and the nurse had me eat some ice chips and wake up a little. Then they rolled me back into a room so I could take my walk around the floor with a nurse. It felt so great to walk with no sciatica pain. My posture instantly improved.

Next we came back into the room and I put my street clothes back on and I asked any questions I could think of. Then they rolled me out to the parking garage and we left the Hospital. This was about 9:00PM.

Next I was extremely hungry, I hadn't eaten anything since 07/02/2013 at around 8PM. We stopped at Sonic and I had a grilled chicken Cibata sandwich and a small order of fries and RT 44 Diet Dr Pepper. Ate all that and about 20 mins later we stopped at McDonalds and I had a Southwestern salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing and large order of fries. The next stop was the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions. We also went to Kroger and I had a pint of Purley Decadent Dairy Free Ice Cream: Turtle Trails. I counted all my macros on my phone and I was under my calorie intake by like 100 calories I think. So I was alright diet wise.

Next we arrived at home and I changed clothes and pretty much went to bed. It felt great to be able to sleep on my left or right side. I have been sleeping on my back for about two months now.

I'm going to update this log every couple days or if anything changes, and also any changes in pain levels. Right now I have minor sciatica pain still, very minor, but I've read and been told this is completely normal. Nothing like before. The incision wound is a little sore also. But I'm able to sit on the couch and not have to sit in a certain position to be comfortable. I'm still trying to not put pressure on my back so I don't open the incision.

I can't lift weights for about two months i think. I'm gonna take it easy and try to do everything the Dr. Tells me. The next two weeks I need to move very little and take it real easy. No long walks or anything. No lifting over 5 pounds. I can start my post op walking program in two weeks.

I think that's everything for now, ill update more and try to give everyone an idea of what's going on.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks for the update, I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way buddy.

Sounds like all went well with the op, hopefully you encounter no problems with the recovery side of things. Just yell if you need anything (not sure what I could help you with actually, but I'm here regardless lol). Even if you just want a chat or something on Skype because you're bored haha.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Mini.

I can't wait to get back in the gym man.

Thanks for the support.

:cool:

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hey everyone. I had back surgery 07/03/2013 to repair two herniated discs in my lower back. (L4-L5, L5-S1). I wanted to start this log to document my recovery process so other people interested in surgery can see how my progress is after surgery.

So yesterday morning (07/03/2013) we arrived at Methodist Hospital in Houston, Tx at 9:30AM. We checked in and I was called back to get into a room and change and get ready. The staff at the Methodist Hospital is awesome, everyone was so nice and professional.

So I stayed in the room until Pre Op was ready for me. I think they came to get me around 3:30PM. So I go back and the nurse starts the IV. I waited in there about 20 minutes and talked with the anasthesia team and the Dr. Performing surgery. He scribed my back and told me they would be coming to get me soon.

So the anasthesia nurse comes in and gives me a generous dose of Verset, then they started wheeling me off to the OR. That's all I remember for the surgery part.

Next I woke up and the nurse had me eat some ice chips and wake up a little. Then they rolled me back into a room so I could take my walk around the floor with a nurse. It felt so great to walk with no sciatica pain. My posture instantly improved.

Next we came back into the room and I put my street clothes back on and I asked any questions I could think of. Then they rolled me out to the parking garage and we left the Hospital. This was about 9:00PM.

Next I was extremely hungry, I hadn't eaten anything since 07/02/2013 at around 8PM. We stopped at Sonic and I had a grilled chicken Cibata sandwich and a small order of fries and RT 44 Diet Dr Pepper. Ate all that and about 20 mins later we stopped at McDonalds and I had a Southwestern salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing and large order of fries. The next stop was the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions. We also went to Kroger and I had a pint of Purley Decadent Dairy Free Ice Cream: Turtle Trails. I counted all my macros on my phone and I was under my calorie intake by like 100 calories I think. So I was alright diet wise.

Next we arrived at home and I changed clothes and pretty much went to bed. It felt great to be able to sleep on my left or right side. I have been sleeping on my back for about two months now.

I'm going to update this log every couple days or if anything changes, and also any changes in pain levels. Right now I have minor sciatica pain still, very minor, but I've read and been told this is completely normal. Nothing like before. The incision wound is a little sore also. But I'm able to sit on the couch and not have to sit in a certain position to be comfortable. I'm still trying to not put pressure on my back so I don't open the incision.

I can't lift weights for about two months i think. I'm gonna take it easy and try to do everything the Dr. Tells me. The next two weeks I need to move very little and take it real easy. No long walks or anything. No lifting over 5 pounds. I can start my post op walking program in two weeks.

I think that's everything for now, ill update more and try to give everyone an idea of what's going on.

Can I get the cliff's on this?

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
Turbo how's the back? Your mom still running it for you!

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Back problems suck ass. Even when you start lifting, you'll still have to take it easy.

Does the doc know what type of lifting you do?

HDH

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Back problems suck ass. Even when you start lifting, you'll still have to take it easy.

Does the doc know what type of lifting you do?

HDH

I'm not sure. I didn't tell him I compete. I told the nurse in his office i have have competed before. They said there is a 10% chance of re injury.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Update 2 Days After Surgery

Incision pain is pretty uncomfortable, but not too bad.

Anastesthia is still wearing off, I just woke up from about a two hour nap. I got tired all of a sudden and had to lie down.

Had a little pain in my glute earlier when I was lying on my back in the recliner. Changed positions and it helped.

A little nauseated too but not real bad.

That's about it for now.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Can I get the cliff's on this?

Turbo got his back cut and he ate a bunch of food.

Now, he's tired and his Mom just called me for a booty call once he takes his nappy nap.

Good to hear you finally got it done Turbs....best of luck pal.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Turbo got his back cut and he ate a bunch of food.

Now, he's tired and his Mom just called me for a booty call once he takes his nappy nap.

Good to hear you finally got it done Turbs....best of luck pal.

=))

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Well Turbo best of luck with your recovery and like MF I also will be sending a VIBRATOR your way:homo:

take care man

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic