Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Trying to help the GF's kid lose weight, help if ya got it.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I have been dating a girl that has three kids for a few years now. Her oldest is now almost 16 and weighs in at 215 or so at 5"10. He has steadily gained weight over the past few months despite diet changes and making him work out. This has been a battle to get the kid on track for years. She used to take him to a chiro that did that hocus pocus shit where he would have you hold your arm out and he would push it, based on what "toxin" he was holding and how many times your arm moved you took that many pills of this supplement. Kid was taking like 40 pills a day, however he was working out and eating ok, he started to lose weight, then he broke his foot. He has been adding weight pretty much monthly, I am guessing 3-5lbs per month. The kids dad doesn't give two squirts of piss about diet despite being the high school wrestling coach. Most meals when he has the kids comes from a box or a bag. Frozen chicken patties, nuggets, fries, hot dogs, mac and cheese. So two to 3 days the kid eats garbage. Our meals are fresh meat from a butcher, some form of veggie and sometimes oven baked fries.

The kid never ate breakfast even though I rode him about it. I also wanted him to track everything he put in his mouth. It wasn't so we could be shitty about what he ate, it was so we could see what could change and he could cut out. He was told it only hurts him to not list things, if we don't know, we can't fix it. So, we have started making him dedicate one hour per day to the gym. Since school has started he has to go at 5AM, I also gave him a journal to write down is calories burned. I checked it today. He is going 30-45 minutes per day and burning about 200 calories while doing purely cardio. Clearly he is not trying. I downloaded some charts that show someone his size jogging for one hour at at 5mph should burn about 750 calories. He was told he can't get his license until he has dropped to 180-185lbs yet he still has not lost much. In the first two weeks of him going, he lost 4 lbs. I told my gf today that she should give him a goal of something like 205, when he reaches that he can start back to weight training 2 days per week with me overseeing him. I have seen him work out before, its all about how much you can lift form is out the window, so he must be supervised which is why I said I have to go too.

The kid has new stretch marks coming in weekly and despite being told they are permanent, they keep coming. The kid is self conscious about his weight yet isn't doing anything to improve it. I went as far as giving her a macro breakdown but with the kid being in school it will be hard to get 5 meals in. I also told him he needs a gallon per day and he always says "I'm just not thirsty" so he doesn't drink. So anyone got ideas?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Any chance he is depressed?

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
prepare to have some thick skin, but are you sure you're not being a dick about it all? if he's 16 and you aren't his father, he may already have issues with you telling him what to do, much less sit him down with a macro chart to show him why he's a fat ass....that can also cause depression.

I come from something similar...only with a stepmother...no one told me I was fat, but I was 220 at 16 at 5'10, so yes I was....my mom and my dad both have weight problems...not obese, but problems that now in their 60s that causing serious health problems now....Realized I was drinking almost 2 liters of coke a day and getting mcdonals and donuts thanks to my dad...

I dusted off the badass aluminum frame mongoose my dad got me for $100, put some trigger shifters on it, and rode my ass off a few hours a DAY after my morning situps and pushups and only drank water all summer...i lost about 40-50 lbs in i think 4 months...then just maintained.....everyone thought I did drugs and shit, but it was just my personal motivation that got me to do it.

So I think you may be going about it wrong...if losing weight isn't personally motivating, he ain't gonna do it, ya know?

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
He's not eating ok if he is gaining . So somewhere he Is eating too much . No teen would gAin if they were dieting . He is either not being honest or needs to keep a food journal of every morsel that passes his lips. Then you sit and evaluate

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I don't think its depression related, he is a pretty happy go lucky kid. As for me being a dick, I don't think that is the case. I am not telling him he is fat or coming down on him. I haven't sat him down with the chart either. He says he wants to lose the weight so that is when I add my two cents. His mom has even said to him that she knows nothing about diet/work out/weight loss which is why she is asking me to help him. I think ketsugo hit the nail on the head. He goes to his friends house 5 -6 days per week and eats "salad" when he is there. He got busted when we checked his bank records and saw dunkin donut, wendys and cirlce K charges. A two pound weight loss while "dieting" and going to the gym for a whole week clearly says something doesn't add up. He wants his license, but she has told him not until he hits his target weight. I think he is under the impression he isn't going to hold him to that. She knows once he starts driving its wendys and junk food.
Also, I have made it clear to her and her kids I won't TELL them what to do, it isn't my job to parent them, they have their own. I will ask them, or relay to them what their mother wants. Also at their age, they should have an idea of what needs done in their life. I might say, I sure hope your mom doesn't come home to see the house like this. And I will leave it at that, its up to them!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Is he interested in a group sport ? Maybe even mma or boxing ?

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
He is on the wrestling team, he trains hard for that and of course does the retard method of "cutting" to get down. The run with a sweatshirt on for hours, eat 2 peas a day way. He broke his foot last year so he couldn't wrestle which is when the weight really started to climb.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Why can't he weight train with you now? Why does he have to lose weight first? Not like he's going to get on a cycle lol... kF said it he's got to be self motivated... I say let him lift under ur wing and get his form down, once he builds some quality muscle he might find tht self motivation to show off some of it or lose the weight to kill some lil ****ers in a smaller weight class in wrestling.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Just curious, why does he need to lose weight?

If he's on the wrestling team he can use that to his advantage.

It would be pretty hard NOT to lose weight after a wrestling/grappling practice.

You use up so many calories during them you should be able to eat whatever.

Plus add in weight training, AND grappling and you are a calorie burning machine.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't understand why he needs to lose weight.

Let him compete in the heavy weight class if he wants to.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
His mom wants him to perform the cardio to get his fat down. The kid is 5'10 and needs a 36" waisted pant and if I had to guess is 30-40% in the BF range which we all know is severely unhealthy. Add to that he has high blood pressure and back issues already. He doesn't want to be as big as he is which is another reason. Our school requires you to weigh in and that is the class you wrestle all year so if he wants to get to his class he needs to get there before the season starts. I can't train with him every day and he needs someone to train him. I don't have the time to train myself and him, if I did the workout would take over two hours so that is why I offered 2 days per week to train with him as those are my off days. The kid struggled to make weight when he WAS in wrestling so its going to be hard to LOSE while in wrestling! I have been dating this girl for almost 4 years, in that time I bet he has put on between 70 and 90 pounds, and he wasn't weight training then. And he has only grown about 4 inches during that time!

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I'd start him on SL 5x5
you don't have to sit there threw his whole work out the program starts out real light an you can tweek and improve on his form as you have time... By the time he gets into some heavy lbs he should have form down pat.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
kids that age need incentive... apparently he has most everything he wants... throw some cash at him... $2 per pound if he can lose 50lbs in 6 months... a hundo is a small fortune at that age... and then you can mask the fact you are buying his love and affection ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic