Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Triathlon

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
Has anyone here competed in a triathlon? I have begun training for one a bit. I'm trying to heal a partial patellar tendon tear before getting hot and heavy into it. I'm not looking to place. I just want to finish. Call it a mid-life crisis event.

I have to find that delicate balance of training while maintaining muscle. I don't want to get below 200#, so the training, food, and supplements will be top priority to keep from losing mass.

I'm really looking for tips on a subject I'm foreign to.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Best of luck. Takes a lot of hard work to finish one of them.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
nothing to offer except good luck

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
ive done 2, and 10 mini tris---i was also a mt bike pro back in the early 90's--no shit legit pro raced all the big ones---pm me and i can help with a training routine and do you have a goal??? is it just to finish, do you have a time you want to beat? how far is the swim, bike and run sections not all tris are the same

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
You should def log your training once you figure out your program.. i would be interested in following your progress

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
I'm just looking to finish, for now. No time to beat, just cross the finish line. As it gets closer, I may become more competitive. There's only 13 entrants in my age group this year. I'll be doing the International/Olympic length (1.5-km swim, 40-km bike, 10-km run).

I have to get my patellar tendon healed before I get real serious about it. There's so many products, that choosing the best will be difficult, especially being my first time around. Money isn't an object and I have no problem spending it on items that help or will make it easier or more comfortable.

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
A few things, It's been a very long time since I competed but I was obsessed with triathlon at one time and was actually pretty good and concidered trying to make a living with it, but that was long ago.

One very good workout that'd id suggest doing a good share of is what I called transition intervals. I'd set up my trainer in my garage and had a one mile course I knew well, I would ride for a set period of time on the bike, say 5 minutes, and then run the mile, repeat. Mixed intervals work great, vary the lengths and intensities but regardless it really helps strengthen both events while being pretty easy to get in some good distance and the transitions are tough, it helps alot to practice it- getting off the bike after almost 25 miles riding and the trying to run can be pretty tough and doing it alot will do wonders for your strength in those events. Swim to bikes pretty tough too but I liked the bike/run for training alot. A big challenge in training for tris is balancing work and recovery, get your miles in, but pay real close attention to your body cuz overtraining is easy. I was obsessive about training and would occasionally get very very sick from overtraining. Have fun. That distance is perfect.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
How long before the event did you get serious about training?

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
I'm just looking to finish, for now. No time to beat, just cross the finish line. As it gets closer, I may become more competitive. There's only 13 entrants in my age group this year. I'll be doing the International/Olympic length (1.5-km swim, 40-km bike, 10-km run).

I have to get my patellar tendon healed before I get real serious about it. There's so many products, that choosing the best will be difficult, especially being my first time around. Money isn't an object and I have no problem spending it on items that help or will make it easier or more comfortable.

okay so whats your weak event? mine was the swimming part--you will finish i dont doubt that

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic