Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Trap injury?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
In the end of Sept. I was training my first real heavy Squat day in my Squat suit.

Then I had 2 Weeks Vacation, followed up by 4 weeks till meet day. Nov. 19th. So almost 2 months ago.

I took 635 for a Single off a crappy Barbell. When I unracked it the barbell rotated and slide down my back due to the bar being Bent. When it slide down it pulled (or something) right Trap. After it happened I was on Vacation for 2 weeks. No Training at all. When I got back I didn't have time to really rest before my meet. So I cont. Training and it cont. to hurt but worked through it.

Squats are what hurt it. Just the weight on it. Not the getting into position. Bothers me a little on Bench, but really only after a Squat day already pissed it off.

I seemed to be able to work through it most the time, but it's getting really a pain in my butt to deal with. I've tried Muscle relaxers and ibuprofen and creams. They seem to dull it some, but not getting any better.

Anyone else have an issue like this before?

My plan is to just stop Back Squatting and do Front Squats, Leg Press and maybe try the Manta Ray attachment.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
635 Lb x 1 reps.. Should be the Last Squat in the Video. If you notice the Bar shifts down when I un-rack it.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Thought you might me able to see it in the Video but Can't.

StriKing_Cobra

StriKing_Cobra

Trybal T&A Conveyor
Nov 30, 2016
what exact area are you talking about of the trap? I used to get a pop at the collarbone area of the trap when I unracked weights that were heavy enough to really bend the texas squat bar we used to use. Just the tiny bit of flex in the bar I swear caused it. I never really had issues with the Iron Wolfe bar. Everytime it popped, it'd take a few weeks to heal, there was a point where it was popping every session so I would have to use a buffalo bar to get some relief.

What I did was warmed up my shoulders, and traps. There was a point where I was doing "rainbow presses" to get some flexibility in that area back. Typical doorway stretches on off days too.

Switch up bars if you can or just try training with a wider grip so it can heal.

S

SQM

Nov 28, 2016
It's possible you could aggravated a nasty trigger point in that spot. Prob cost you $40-$50 for 30-45min for a excellent massage therapist. But if rest and stretching aren't helping then go for it. I know 100% 1st hand how beneficial a great MT is for these kinda issues. Do you get any referred sensations in the neck or lower trap area?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
what exact area are you talking about of the trap? I used to get a pop at the collarbone area of the trap when I unracked weights that were heavy enough to really bend the texas squat bar we used to use. Just the tiny bit of flex in the bar I swear caused it. I never really had issues with the Iron Wolfe bar. Everytime it popped, it'd take a few weeks to heal, there was a point where it was popping every session so I would have to use a buffalo bar to get some relief.

What I did was warmed up my shoulders, and traps. There was a point where I was doing "rainbow presses" to get some flexibility in that area back. Typical doorway stretches on off days too.

Switch up bars if you can or just try training with a wider grip so it can heal.

Nothing Popped and it's all in the Trap area. It feels like the Bar raked down my trap when the Bar rotated, but the muscle (trap) stretched/torn instead of the bar just sliding over.

Notice the Plates rotating. That same rotation is happening in the Bar as well, not just the Collars... I don't use this bar anymore for anything.

It's possible you could aggravated a nasty trigger point in that spot. Prob cost you $40-$50 for 30-45min for a excellent massage therapist. But if rest and stretching aren't helping then go for it. I know 100% 1st hand how beneficial a great MT is for these kinda issues. Do you get any referred sensations in the neck or lower trap area?

It's been close to 9 weeks and it's not much better yet. It gets stiff quick which suck. Going to try Ice, Heat and Tens unit.

If it's a partial tear would MT still Help?

S

starquest maniac

Oct 11, 2012
Tell you this much, a bad ass MT will tell you if you have a partial tear, real shit! Ice and heat back and forth rolling out with 1min in between switches does miracles. It would require you not stress area for a week and you need to do that back and forth treatment no less than twice a day. Once again though, not gonna heal over night. That's if u tore something at all. Trigger points can stick around for yeeeeeeeears bro and depending on person and area affected. Will determine pain level. From what you described though on how it happened. You Simple smashed trap location at a bad angle and created a bruised area with a trigger point. Trap area a bitch to cause it's hard to touch or work out with flexion or extension. So it just sits there and highly aggravating. It's basically a spot small or large that has a knot of Lactic Acid just chilling, acting like it pays rent to be there or some shit. Found Rhomboids and trap area to be the worst. Cause you can't really do as mentioned above. If you go MT route with a good one only. Put a oil drain pan under face cradle cause when they release it, it's gonna hit your stomach like spoiled milk. Please believe it!

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Tell you this much, a bad ass MT will tell you if you have a partial tear, real shit! Ice and heat back and forth rolling out with 1min in between switches does miracles. It would require you not stress area for a week and you need to do that back and forth treatment no less than twice a day. Once again though, not gonna heal over night. That's if u tore something at all. Trigger points can stick around for yeeeeeeeears bro and depending on person and area affected. Will determine pain level. From what you described though on how it happened. You Simple smashed trap location at a bad angle and created a bruised area with a trigger point. Trap area a bitch to cause it's hard to touch or work out with flexion or extension. So it just sits there and highly aggravating. It's basically a spot small or large that has a knot of Lactic Acid just chilling, acting like it pays rent to be there or some shit. Found Rhomboids and trap area to be the worst. Cause you can't really do as mentioned above. If you go MT route with a good one only. Put a oil drain pan under face cradle cause when they release it, it's gonna hit your stomach like spoiled milk. Please believe it!

Thanks for the help, makes sense...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic