Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Training Lats

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Honestly, I just tell people to be sure to perform horizontal and vertical rows. So something like wide grip pulldowns and something like bent over rows. Gotta work both to get the most development. I think people are just trying to look relevant with the nonsense they're doing these days. Wanna be IG sensations.
Yup, Dante T. recommends the same. Pull down of some type ie. pull ups, cable pull downs, machine type pull down, etc etc for width and a rowing motion, ie. bb rows, db rows, cable rows, etc etc. for thickness.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Is the machine you speak of different than what's in the video? The Nat. handles can rotate while pulling down so you can go from having your palms forward at the top and rotate to palms facing in or towards you at the bottom and vice versa.
Yes, different than the one in the video, same as the one you described above.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Is the machine you speak of different than what's in the video? The Nat. handles can rotate while pulling down so you can go from having your palms forward at the top and rotate to palms facing in or towards you at the bottom and vice versa.

The handles on the Hammer Lat Pull do not rotate, they are static. We also have the the Nautulus iso lateral lat pull and the handles rotate. Very good machine.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
The handles on the Hammer Lat Pull do not rotate, they are static. We also have the the Nautulus iso lateral lat pull and the handles rotate. Very good machine.
Maybe I just assumed it was a Hammer, it was in a Gold's gym I went to years ago

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
No different than doing unilateral work with anything else. It does look sort of weird because the machine wasn't made for unilateral work though but who cares. If the person using it feels they are getting the contraction/protraction needed to breakdown the muscle efficiently then do it. That being said I only use two hammer strength machines for back and they are supinated close grip pull downs (bilateral) and standing rows (unilateral and bilateral, just depends on what I'm feeling that day). Both machines are made for both bilateral/unilateral work.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Fuck that one arm at a time bullshit... Dead lifts, Tbar Rows, bent barbel Rows, Dumbell rows, strict pull ups, That’s all you need, Leave the cables for the girls...

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Ya, I really like most of the Nat. machines as they have the least restrictive movements. And it's been well documented that the more fixed a machine is the bigger the chance for inj.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I thought you guys knew your way around a gym???? You can't build big muscles unless you look cool doing stupid exercises in the gym.

Isolateral machines are great to work each side independently but just because you're pulling with one arm at a time going back and forth is not any more of an advantage than working and isolateral machine pulling at the same time. Now with that said doing a pull-up with two arms versus one arm is something completely different because of the way your shoulders are going to rotate and it's near impossible to keep your body perfectly straight like you would with both arms.

People make up stuff in the gym so they look relevant and smart but all they're doing is being counterproductive because like it was set in the first post if you do all one side and then do the other side you are using some energy and the second side is not going to be hit quite as hard. Energy expenditure or I should say energy wasted doing it like that is actually holding you back now nothing wrong with doing single arm but if you're doing four sets try and do the opposite side every other set so you have a slightly even expenditure of energy and fatigue on each side but again the idea of an isolateral machine is to work each side independently without the help from the other just like dumbbells. There's a difference in doing a dumbbell row or a bent barbell row.

Rotation during a movement depending on the machine can make a slight difference sitting sideways but no in my opinion there's no benefit because when you sit sideways there's more of a tendency to lean into the weight rather than just using your back watch people in the gym that do it that way and they're almost doing a side bend to pull the weight down rather than sitting straight and pulling with good form.

But on the other hand what do I know??

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Ya, I really like most of the Nat. machines as they have the least restrictive movements. And it's been well documented that the more fixed a machine is the bigger the chance for inj.

I am sure that is correct. Especially as you start deviating away from what they consider the average size person.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
What ever happened to lower cable rows and lat pull downs? Fuuk, 4 sets of each and that's all I do. Never had anyone say my back was a weak point.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic