Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Training Lats

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
OK, I am seeing some FAD in the weight room as of late that makes little sense to me. We have the Hammer Strength plate loaded seated lat pulldown which is an iso-lateral machine. Now matter what you say, each side of th ebody is working independently. Yest some sit sideways and swear it works the lats more.

Muscles Targeted - Latissimus Dorsi

Synergists
Brachialis
Brachioradialis
Biceps Brachii
Teres Major
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Pectoralis Minor
Trapezius, Lower
Pectoralis Major, Sternal

Dynamic Stabilizers - Triceps, Long Head

Tell me why one of these is better than the other. I remember reading that Dorian Yates stayed away from using one arm or body part at a time movements just because you get exhausted on the 1st side and aren't able to train the 2nd side as hard.

Last edited:
Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
LMAO one more stupid fucking thing to waste time.
When using these I will on occasion do one side and then the other but not standing on my head or seated side saddle with a scrotum full of nuts in my mouth.
People are so ignorant sometimes.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
At my heaviest I think I was doing 5 plates on that, no way to do 1 side at a time, you need the offset weight of the other side.
Even with 1 plate it hurts my lower back if I don't have balance.
I do love the handles on that Hammer though, really nice for the wrist.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Don't see the advantage!!!....

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
When you sit sideways you use the same damn muscles in the same plance of movement. So there is no advantage. Like I pointed out HammerStrength plate loaded machines are ALL ISO LATERAL. So you work each side of the body independently. Of course the obvious, look at the physique of those who do this. My gym is full of people like this. Fucking women putting matts on the floor and doing an inverted leg press under the Smith Machine.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
Throw alittle dbol In the mix .. then assault them like a prisoner getting his first piece with Pussy in 5 years

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
We have Natalus machines at the Golds gym I go to. They have a simular lat machine except the handles are not fixed and rotate so you can have your palms facing in or out which can take alot of pressure off at the shoulder to bi tendon. This works great for me as I did have to have my left tendon repaired a couple yrs ago and this allowed me to do pulldowns with less fear of re-injuring.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
The Hammer has rotating handles as well @searay such a smooth motion.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Deadlifts, barbell and cable rows, and pullups are all I do...I hate 1 hand shit. I use a tennis racket to wash my back - so I guess it's working.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Honestly, I just tell people to be sure to perform horizontal and vertical rows. So something like wide grip pulldowns and something like bent over rows. Gotta work both to get the most development. I think people are just trying to look relevant with the nonsense they're doing these days. Wanna be IG sensations.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
The Hammer has rotating handles as well @searay such a smooth motion.
Is the machine you speak of different than what's in the video? The Nat. handles can rotate while pulling down so you can go from having your palms forward at the top and rotate to palms facing in or towards you at the bottom and vice versa.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic