Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Training in Gear and Programming it?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
To the guys who have trained in gear, how do you program it?

I've done a few Raw programs. Can I just stick to my Raw Programs and plug in higher Maxes and suit up on my heavy sets?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That's a fine way to start but not ideal. Geared programming is all about being in gear as much as possible. Raw training becomes your accessory work.
You can use the same programming but knowing when to push and back off becomes more important because gear beats you up differently.

I'm out of the gym for a few weeks from knee surgery and have some extra time. If you need something written out for you PM me and we can work something out.
If you don't need that much help I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
That's a fine way to start but not ideal. Geared programming is all about being in gear as much as possible. Raw training becomes your accessory work.
You can use the same programming but knowing when to push and back off becomes more important because gear beats you up differently.

I'm out of the gym for a few weeks from knee surgery and have some extra time. If you need something written out for you PM me and we can work something out.
If you don't need that much help I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Thanks I'll shoot you a PM..

I do have a quick Question on my Squat Suit...

I have a Wide Stance Suit, but I don't squat crazy wide. The suit doesn't push my knees in like my old RS suit did. I'm I losing pounds in my suit from not having to push my knees out? I still have my old RS suit, but I cut it down into briefs.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A wide stance suit won't take anything away as long as the hips are still tight. It does look like you're breaking forward in to your wraps instead of back in to the suit on your initial break, though. It could be that the gear is loose and you're not feeling the support so you're not trusting it to be there when you sit back. OR, it could be that the gear is so tight that it's overpowering your hips and throwing you forward........ or just a carryover habit from raw training...... I can't tell from the video. I'd definitely suggest learning how to box squat. It'll help a lot to reinforce the feel of breaking back and keeping your chest up more.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
My lockout sucks in my Shirt. I seem to get stuck about 8in or so off the chest and have a crazy time locking out weights.

I've been doing Floor Presses and reverse Bands. Anything else help out on lockouts?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I need Help sitting back in my Squat more to load my suit.. I keep trying it and seem off balanced and lean forward.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
My lockout sucks in my Shirt. I seem to get stuck about 8in or so off the chest and have a crazy time locking out weights.

I've been doing Floor Presses and reverse Bands. Anything else help out on lockouts?

I have been watching a lot of your practice in the gear. Your technique needs major work. Porky pointed out some issues with the squat above.

As for the bench and missing the lockout. Your problem isn't triceps. It's technique - your set up.

Look at a still image of you after unracking the bar. Your chest is flat and lower back is arched. Your arch should be in the thoracic spine.

Essentially work on thoracic extension, focus on chest up as you lower and press the bar. By this I mean think about having your sternum meet the bar halfway down. This will also force you to keep your shoulders mashed into the pad.

Once you nail that the lockout with go off without a hitch until you start getting into high 4's. But really by then the triceps will adapt on their own as you go up.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I will work on all of it.

Bench Shirt...
I'm having a hard time (can't) Arching or getting my shoulders pulled back in the Shirt. The Sleeves are crazy tight, I'm not sure if I'm getting the sleeves far enough in the pits.

Squat Suit...
Was order when I was in the 181 class and is a 40. I'm now 202lbs and in the 40 which is a Comp fit for Titan for the 198s.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I'm getting a little worried for my meet that I wont have this down good enough. Or maybe just do a pull only meet in gear. Shoot for high 600s maybe...or maybe just do Raw again. If I go raw, I might want to drop back down to 181????

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I have been watching a lot of your practice in the gear. Your technique needs major work. Porky pointed out some issues with the squat above.

As for the bench and missing the lockout. Your problem isn't triceps. It's technique - your set up.

Look at a still image of you after unracking the bar. Your chest is flat and lower back is arched. Your arch should be in the thoracic spine.

Essentially work on thoracic extension, focus on chest up as you lower and press the bar. By this I mean think about having your sternum meet the bar halfway down. This will also force you to keep your shoulders mashed into the pad.

Once you nail that the lockout with go off without a hitch until you start getting into high 4's. But really by then the triceps will adapt on their own as you go up.

Nailed it.....

As for the suit...... box squat. And, start at a high box...... we teach guys the suit groove like the bench groove. Light weight to a high box for reps until it becomes second nature, then drop the box an inch and get back to it until you're at parallel or below.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Is there a trick to Arch and have your shoulders pulled back in the Shirt?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic