Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

TRAINING DAYS! | The wife and I killing bro splits.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
When you are attempting fame and fortune as a YouTube star, you need to expect to take a little abuse now and then. Goes with the territory.
As far as your back problems, Most of us have them some, myself included quite severe.
the rowing is much harder on your low back than the deadlift. My suggestion would be to increase the weight and drop the reps. If you want to rep it out, consider a trap bar.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
IAnother shot from the supportive community of brothers and sisters? Are you a real person with a life or just a talking head?

Yes, I am a real person with a real youtube channel too:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXbR7lZJC9eaHhL1VxaTIfA

And **** man, if you're gonna post tons of vids on a lifting forum of oddball shit that has nothing to do with lifting then expect a little good-natured ribbing, because that was all I did.

Just busting your chops.

I think most members here will vouch for me that I'm a supportive member. If you've got questions about lifting I'll do my best to help.

If you're gonna post vids of you cleaning your kitchen or walking through a mall on Halloween or roller-skating then I got nothin'.

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
When you are attempting fame and fortune as a YouTube star, you need to expect to take a little abuse now and then. Goes with the territory.
As far as your back problems, Most of us have them some, myself included quite severe.
the rowing is much harder on your low back than the deadlift. My suggestion would be to increase the weight and drop the reps. If you want to rep it out, consider a trap bar.

What kind of weight should I be lifting? Should I change anything in my form?

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
Yes, I am a real person with a real youtube channel too:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXbR7lZJC9eaHhL1VxaTIfA

And **** man, if you're gonna post tons of vids on a lifting forum of oddball shit that has nothing to do with lifting then expect a little good-natured ribbing, because that was all I did.

Just busting your chops.

I think most members here will vouch for me that I'm a supportive member. If you've got questions about lifting I'll do my best to help.

If you're gonna post vids of you cleaning your kitchen or walking through a mall on Halloween or roller-skating then I got nothin'.

I know, I get it. In my defense though, I posted those in the "off topic" section. I just watched some of your videos, you got some impressive lifts.
...I may or may not have subscribed.

A

albadalba

Oct 18, 2015
Great vid! Love the "old fashioned" rustic garage gym-you need to spend $$$$'s to kick it in the ass!

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
What kind of weight should I be lifting? Should I change anything in my form?
At least 500lbs.

I can't tell you what to use. That's up to you. IMO, deads are a ME lift. Maybe find you 5rep max and do sets of 3. Once in awhile, you can do high reps for fun and conditioning, but again, a trap bar or frame would be easier on the back. For me getting in position to pull is the hardest part. With back issues doing it again and again 15-20 times is murder. The trap bar allows a more comfortable set up.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Haymaker you would do well to directly address your back issues first thru strength. Then with stabilizing muscles in place you can get back to hypertrophy if you wish.

Uphill speaks from experience. His spine is a weak point. Him and I trained back to a significant degree with heavy ass weight. Low reps to avoid slips in form from fatigue.

So one example of what to do - build 4 inch sturdy wood boxes to deadlift off of (plates rest on box instead of floor)

Then start doing sets of 2 or 3 reps off the blocks. Use a weight that you feel is like an 8 to 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty. Do as many sets as you can until you feel like you will miss the next rep.

Deadlifting 135 pounds will not cause an adaptation in the body. You must use use progressive overloads to do that.

To understand this better look at your wife's leg day. She squatted 65lbs. That's a full body lift. She then did 80lb extensions and that's just quad.

Warming up is key - use exercises like bird dog
Form must be precise
Weight must be a challenge
Keep reps low
First sign of red flag type pain and stop

It will just take time.

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
At least 500lbs.

I can't tell you what to use. That's up to you. IMO, deads are a ME lift. Maybe find you 5rep max and do sets of 3. Once in awhile, you can do high reps for fun and conditioning, but again, a trap bar or frame would be easier on the back. For me getting in position to pull is the hardest part. With back issues doing it again and again 15-20 times is murder. The trap bar allows a more comfortable set up.
Geez that seems like a lot, I will try going heavier though and look into trap bars, on that note, do you know anywhere online that sells good equipment for a decent price? I get most of my stuff from Dick's sporting goods.

Haymaker you would do well to directly address your back issues first thru strength. Then with stabilizing muscles in place you can get back to hypertrophy if you wish.

Uphill speaks from experience. His spine is a weak point. Him and I trained back to a significant degree with heavy ass weight. Low reps to avoid slips in form from fatigue.

So one example of what to do - build 4 inch sturdy wood boxes to deadlift off of (plates rest on box instead of floor)

Then start doing sets of 2 or 3 reps off the blocks. Use a weight that you feel is like an 8 to 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty. Do as many sets as you can until you feel like you will miss the next rep.

Deadlifting 135 pounds will not cause an adaptation in the body. You must use use progressive overloads to do that.

To understand this better look at your wife's leg day. She squatted 65lbs. That's a full body lift. She then did 80lb extensions and that's just quad.

Form must be precise
Keep reps low

It will just take time.
Thanks, I will try this.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
The 500 was a joke. Listen to POB and use what's heavy for you. He has another thread on RPE.
As far as equipment, Dicks is probably the last place I would go. When I first started my gym, I bought a package to save on freight cost. Since you already have a start, keep an eye on Craig's list and the like.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011

Form must be precise
Keep reps low

It will just take time.

Best advice you can get is right here^^^ I can candidly report that this methodology has been the most beneficial for me with the myriad of spinal issues that I've had. My back has gotten worse without heavy training in fact, due to the erectors in my sacrum area losing strength to support the rest of my lower back.

Monsoon is right on too (and why I initially asked why you're doing 15 reps etc), that rowing 10-15 rep sets is actually worse for your back. But he's also right that if you want to promote your youtube channel, you need to have some thicker skin because you're on a forum with a bunch of dudes all hopped up on synthetic drugs

A lot of us have information to share because we've all trained at some points in our years without proper direction. It's there for the taking if you're interested in getting better.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
This thread made my morning. Well done on all parts. UHC and Flex and Monsoon, perfect amount of ribbing. Haymaker, big props on being able to admit that you overreacted. Now the thread is actually really meaningful instead of just being a lighthearted video to watch (no offense Haymaker, keep your panties loose).
PillarofBalance , perhaps in your infinite spare time (sarcasm) you could delve into your bevy of knowledge and drop a thread about exercises and stretches that help keep the lower back healthy, happy, and strong while lifting like we do. I've been having issues since I'm coming back to lifting heavy, and I know you have some answers.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This thread made my morning. Well done on all parts. UHC and Flex and Monsoon, perfect amount of ribbing. Haymaker, big props on being able to admit that you overreacted. Now the thread is actually really meaningful instead of just being a lighthearted video to watch (no offense Haymaker, keep your panties loose).
PillarofBalance , perhaps in your infinite spare time (sarcasm) you could delve into your bevy of knowledge and drop a thread about exercises and stretches that help keep the lower back healthy, happy, and strong while lifting like we do. I've been having issues since I'm coming back to lifting heavy, and I know you have some answers.

Its half written (mostly). Need to Polish and do citations. School semester ends in a couple weeks so after that I should have some time.

Reactions: SAD
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic