Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Training after Cortisone Injection

Spilz

Spilz

Apr 6, 2017
Ok this may be a silly question.

But I had an injection yesterday into my elbow area for "Golfer's Elbow" - Any injury I got years ago after a broken wrist etc.

I am feeling really good today - Would it be silly to lift? Or should I allow a decent amount of recovery time?

Advice from anyone who's had cortisone would be great :)

Spilz

Spilz

Apr 6, 2017
Sorry this post should be in another section.

I am new and it wont let me move to the Injury and prevention Section :(

Spilz

Spilz

Apr 6, 2017
Ended up training and was fine :)

Injection worked nicely.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Biggest issue is you need to be cognizant that the cortisone shot masks pain and is not helping to repair anything. As long as you go slow and methodical, I see no reason why not. My only worry is that your body lets you know when you are in pain to tell you whatever is hurting you to essentially tell you to stop.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Cortisone shots could end up being a crutch IMO, and the underlying issues should be evaluated by an ortho for correction through surgery.

Spilz

Spilz

Apr 6, 2017
Yes I understand that the shot masks the pain - but the pain is gone and I am still able to rest/stretch and be aware of the injury.

I have only had two injections and they have been around the area in the elbow (not directly into a tendon) and massaged around and it has worked well.

After trying physiotherapy, Doctors, rest, and stopping training entirely it was the best option for me - Surgery would be a final resort wayyyy down the track.

I am careful with the exercises I do and go for strict form rather than huge amounts of weight.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I always heard to wait about a week after a shot before lifting heavy, and I've followed the advice myself. Never had an issue coming back.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
over the coarse of 10 years I've had one cortisone shot in each shoulder for rot cuff pain. In both cases the tear was minor and no reason for surgery. In my experience you just keep on training and as you feel the pain subsiding your level of training will improve. It's a natural progression.

I haven't found the shots be a negative at all, quite the opposite. They've kept me out of surgery and in the gym.

I'd be very cautious though. Several cortisone shots on one area / muscle is not the advisable solution. Surgery most likely would be better.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic