Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Torn triceps tendon/triceps/elbow fracture.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
So despite making it decades of lifting without ever needing surgery. I’m having OPEN REDUCTION INTERNAL FIXATION FRACTURE ELBOW WITH TRICEP RE-ATTACHMENT surgery tomorrow because some guy decide to rent his beach house to families on air BNB and not attach his pavers on his patio.

Took a pretty hard fall lighting a tiki torch. luckily I was able to turn an land the 4 feet down on my hands unfortunately I felt it all explode as I hit the ground . Then surgery was delayed because I had my first hospital stay of my life because of colitis which I suspect is from sitting in bed for ten days with my arm elevated and taking tons of Advil for pain. Has anyone else delt with a similar injury? I’ve read wildly different outcomes on how well people recovered. I have little kids I’d like to be able to pick up an play with ASAP if anyone has any advice feel free to put it here or PM me.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Sorry to hear brother. IMO, each person's outcome is different regardless of the surgery. A good Ortho is important but after that, PT and time. The delay in surgery sucks; best to get to those things before the scaring and atrophy starts. I can't emphasize the importance of not rushing the recovery. There will be dark days ahead but there will also be a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there and best wishes.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Very sorry to hear that, especially because it shouldn't have happened. I had my bicep reattached last yr and it has turned out well. As TOS said a good ortho is key. Best wishes!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
One side note; Take some of the pain meds for the first day or 2 that they give you. Surgery pain comes on fast right after and if it gets away from you, there's not many drugs that will pull it back in.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I will. If they aren’t too stingy about the pain meds. No one knows wanted to give me any pain meds and I met with my primary finally today (to sign off on the surgery after the again infection) and he said he wouldn’t be shy about give me pain meds because it’s such a significant injury. But I didn’t need them anymore.

The way they have swung from giving 60 pain pills for a minor injury to giving 7 5mg pain pills for a major injury has gotten out of control. They are so scared now. I didn’t destroy my arm to get a few pain pills. It sucks that the surgery has been delayed this long (3 weeks) the pain was blinding the first 10-14 days but now it’s starting to heal and hurt less which is a bad thing because when I take the brace off my arm it looks like a disaster.
Also the fact that they give everyone the same dosage is also infuriating. An effective dose for 6’4 275 pound man is the same as you give to my 5’7 139 pound wife?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic