Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Torn Muscle HELP....

K

KKRake

Dec 13, 2011
Hey Ive torn my bicep muscle, the belly part. Right in the middle, im wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with soft tissue tears like this, barely any info online. So im trying to go by word of mouth and past experiences. Just wondering if you guys could help a brother out. What rehab or supplements to help me out?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
have you seen a doctor and had an MRI? how bad is the tear? how old are you?

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Not that Im doubting you but are sure its a full tear? or just a really bad pull?
Do you have discoloration, bruising and has the muscle 'rolled up'?
As ATW pointed out Dr and MRI is really the only way to know for sure...in the meantime get plenty of ICE on it and dont do anything to aggravate it.

K

KKRake

Dec 13, 2011
have you seen a doctor and had an MRI? how bad is the tear? how old are you?

I've seen my family doctor, he said it was a muscle belly tear, he couldn't really give me any other answers, he referred me to an ortho this thursday. The only sucky part is that I believe it was torn back in july when i was doing some bad form with curls and couldnt get it checked out due to lack of insurance. Im 18. There was a loud ripping sound and sensation. But no bruising or too much swelling. But there is a divot in the muscle and it balls up towards my elbow/forearm after i get a "pump"

Not that Im doubting you but are sure its a full tear? or just a really bad pull?
Do you have discoloration, bruising and has the muscle 'rolled up'?
As ATW pointed out Dr and MRI is really the only way to know for sure...in the meantime get plenty of ICE on it and dont do anything to aggravate it.

Yeah, I believe its considered chronic. Just wondering what the stages of healing are for a torn muscle. I read that surgery is ill-advised because its like sewing two pieces of meat together. Thanks for the quick replies guys

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Yeah I hear ya, I had a friend tear biceps 3 times one 2x's and the other once, the last one was an upper bicep tear and the Dr told him that it was better to let that one heal on its own, there was some partial disfigurement sounds a bit like your scenario...give it rest and let it heal.

K

KKRake

Dec 13, 2011
Yeah I hear ya, I had a friend tear biceps 3 times one 2x's and the other once, the last one was an upper bicep tear and the Dr told him that it was better to let that one heal on its own, there was some partial disfigurement sounds a bit like your scenario...give it rest and let it heal.

Wow, but he came back and was lifting at full strength again? The disfigurement doesnt bother me one bit, just miss hitting the weights hard.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Wow, but he came back and was lifting at full strength again? The disfigurement doesnt bother me one bit, just miss hitting the weights hard.
No he had to take some time off, he was stubborn too, tried to lift on it once in a while before it healed and it slowed down the healing process.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I tore my bicep tendon and my bicep in August of this year. I had swelling and discoloration and my muscle rolled up my arm. My advice to you is go get a referral from your family physician for an MRI and then a referral to a sports doc or surgeon to see what your next step is. Sometimes the tear is not too great where they may say "let it heal". Mine was a bad tear. I actually was referred to one surgeon who would not touch me due to my muscle density and thick tendons. I got lucky because his ego didn't overide his ability and he sent me to an awesome doc. My recovery is supposedly 6 months. So far so good. Hope you find the right answers. Just remember that being on the shelf due to injury is so much better than never being able to do it again. Hang in there. Good luck.

J

james_s_carroll

May 29, 2011
I would definetely get it looked at by a qualified therapist. I am a physical therapist and see alot of injuries. It isnt just the muscle that could be damaged, there are other structures at play like fascia etc. Go get an MRI etc but definetly get a uqualified 'sports' practitioner to assess it .... your local GP wont see to many of these so I would look elsewhere.

E

Ed Green

Jun 4, 2013
I've managed to do a partial tear of a bicep - I've seen a consultant and booked in for a scan and re-appointment with him once its done and I've lined up a session with a physio to plan out what work-around training I can do while I rest it up - anyone got any idea how long the rest and rehab phases are likely to take?

E

Ed Green

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the response - I think its a two - hoping to get the scan done on monday

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic