Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Tore my triceps yesterday

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Didn't warm up properly apparently and ended up with a partial tear in the long head of my right tricep. I've popped a bicep tendon and pull hamstrings a few times, but this is a first for me. Any thoughts on recovery times and things I could do to help.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I've never suffered a partial tricep tear, but I have suffered a partial bicep tear (about 10 years ago).

Lots of bruising, and basically did nothing with it for about 4 weeks. The started doing extremely light dumbbell work (like 5lb dumbbells). Just getting some blood flow to the muscle really helped the healing process, but I 'm still glad I didn't start working that muscle too soon. Better to take it slow and steady.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I tore mine back in '04 do I g weighted dips. Whole back side of my arm turned dark purple almost immediately. No arm related training for about a month and then I had to ease back into it for another month. I was lucky enough to not need surgery though. It is worth it to get it looked at. I saw another guy do something similar but his tear was closer to the elbow and he had to have doc go in to repair. Hope yours isn't that bad and wish you a speedy recovery. I've been gunshy of heavy dips ever since...

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm not even real sure how I did it. I Just got done with pullups and went over to tricep press-downs. About 7-8 reps in and I felt this shock down my arm. I went on for another few reps but after my fingers started going numb. I got home and looked at it and it looks like I been beat with a sledge hammer from my upper lat all the way down the back of the tricep. I can only guess It was the lack of any real warm up on the press downs. I was in a rush and wasn't thinking I guess. Shit it was not even a lot of weight...lol

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Ice and NSAID's for first 24. Very important to start light stretching 24-48 hours after. Massage, as well as heat. Avoids scar tissue and promotes bloodflow. Depending on degree of bruising, ultra sound can help. The sooner you clear out the clotting blood, the better flow to the area.

I made the mistake on not properly re-habbing a stage II tear of my hamstring. I ended up re-injuring the same area years later.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Guns did you not feel a snap near the elbow? Did you feel that someplace else like near the armpit?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Guns did you not feel a snap near the elbow? Did you feel that someplace else like near the armpit?

I felt it in my armpit. Then like a shock went down my arm. About few reps later my fingers started to tingle and went numb. I had to stop. I took a minute, tried lowering the weight and doing another set and the weight wouldn't move. Then the pain set in. Like the worst cramp ever. I got home, iced and ibuprofen. Now its purple from my tricep down my lat. I heard something but I'm not sure it was me...lol. Had the music pretty loud.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic