Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

To Build up Home Gym or Not

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
The question is....to build or not to build. Ever since the pandemic and gyms were closed, i have been debating. I thought to myself, well, this is a good time to take off and let the body rest, etc.
But it is a constant struggle because i miss the weights.
My state (IL) has just extended stay at home orders through 5/30 with some modifications, but gyms are not in those mods. I am hearing of my gym that is secretly training people, not sure I want to go there....just fear of getting caught, etc.

So I have been struggling to build up a home gym or not.
The question is...once i do that....then what.....would i continue on even when the gyms re open? Maybe/maybe not.
Certainly home gym equipment will be plentiful once everything is back to normal. But the problem is not then, the problem is the now and how long the now is. My now has been extended for another 5 weeks....so that is what i have to decide on. What to do in these next 5 weeks.
I say let the pocketbook decide, it may be tough to get decent pricing. It does sound like you will be down for another 5, you could always get the minimum to get you by. I don't mind working out at the house but I don't keep the same long term motivation. I feel like I'm not pushing myself as hard after a period. Pretty sure that's just my ego and insecurities that keep me pushing harder at the gym. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to be without stuff at the house. Sometimes it's just a great convenience factor.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
A large part of that decision for anyone will be determined by the local political climate and how it affects opening/closing mandates. I'd lean toward a home gym strategy in NY for instance, and toward waiting for your gym to re-open in Georgia. I guess IL is somewhere in between strategy-wise, but closer to NY than to GA?

And of course, any 2nd wave pandemic and how it might vary in different states throws today's strategy out the window.

Have you considered ditching Bodybuilding and taking up Quilting or Water Color instead?
@rawdeal WTF?! What is this quilting or water coloring you speak of?? And quit talking like that to me or i'll ____. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Ha, ha, I was wondering how well that was going to go over...

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
She always resists my ideas ... at first.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Home gym all the way!! Nothing compares. You’ll never look back. Craigslist!

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
I’m pretty spoiled. The week the gyms closed my daughters BF and his brother brought pretty much a full gym and set it up in me basement. Squat rack, cable machine, hundreds of pounds plates, DBs, bands, benches, bars etc.

the question is now which one of you boys wants to marry my daughter?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Pics and a home address or it didn't happen ...

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
This is a bad time to build a home gym. All of the used equipment is priced double or triple or more compared to pre-shut down, and the gym suppliers are out of a lot of the most basic stuff.

that said, you can do a lot with a set of dumbbells that tops out at 50 lbs, a pullup bar, dip station and an olympic bar and bench.

I feel lucky because I have a really well equiped home gym (deadlift bar, squat rack, flat bench, incline-decline bench, dumbbells every 5 lbs to 110 lbs, dip station and pullup bar, plus bands and 700 lbs in olympic plates) and my coach is giving me some really great programming so I can train at home. So far I haven't lost any of my strength and seem to be making some slight progress.

On a side note: I sold some of my extra equipment to a friend, for what I paid for it. So he now has the ability to deadlift, squat and bench press. I could have sold it for quite a bit more on craigslist, but I decided I would rather sell it to a friend, than to price gouge.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Update: OH MAN I'M SOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.......so i've been allowed back in the gym and whats even better is that i'm going to now train with my coach too! First workout was tonight. We did back and chest. I'm so sore....this was my first time working out with him too. He coached me in my last prep. But i've never been trained by him.
Was an awesome work out too! I think I PR'd everything bwahaha. And he listened to me when i was apprehensive about my shoulder, but in addition showed me ways to do my lifts that helped overall.
I'm so super pumped right now.....

So in the mean time, i get to go back to the gym......only a few are allowed, going to try to get below the radar type of deal. They are keepin it low and on the DL...and keep your mouth shut about it lol. Hey, i aint sayin nothing! I'm just so super happy to get my hands on iron.....awwww.....what a feeling.

I do think, however, I will be capitalizing on those craigs lists posts of people getting rid of their gear after this pandemic.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Found my old dumbbells from when I was a kid in my garage, old Hayward Hollywood plates on them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic