Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

To Be A Bodybuilder, Eat Like A Bodybuilder

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
To Be a Bodybuilder, Eat Like A Bodybuilder, by Woodswise. September 21, 2013.

It took me years to learn how to eat like a bodybuilder.

I had been lifting recreationally for more than 15 years, but was not making the progress I wanted. The muscle gains were slow because I wasn't eating enough. Then when I started eating enough, I got fat and in the end gained only a small amount of muscle. For my bulk, I ate a normal diet, only a lot more than normal and used bulking as an excuse to eat more of the goodies (dessert, sweets, etc.). I read a few places how you needed to eat more protein, so I added more meats and eggs, but no one actually sat me down and told me how to eat or helped me structure a diet. Finally, tired of not seeing the gains i wanted, and especially tired of the permabulk, I decided to make drastic changes to everything, including diet.

Protein is the foundation of the bodybuilding diet, whether bulking or cutting.

After quite a bit of reading online, I found a common thread that made sense to me: Eat 1 to 1.5 and possible as much as 2g protein per lb of lean bodyweight each day. When bulking, eat an excess of Kcals -- 500 to 1000 Kcals above maintenance. When cutting, eat in a defecit of Kcals -- 250 to 500 Kcals below maintenance. When bulking most of the macros to make up the Kcals will be the protein and carbs, with little fat (100g or less).

When cutting you can diet on protein and carbs or on protein and fat (ketogenic diet). You can eat less protein during a cut, than on a bulk.

Fat and carbs should not be mixed in large quantities, because it is easier to get fat while eating like that. To stay lean, if you are going to eat a diet heavy on carbs, keep the fats low. If you are going to eat a diet heavy on fats, keep the carbs low.

Measuring / Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

To know how much to eat, you need to know how much your body is burning each day. The amount of energy your body burns at rest, is called your basal metabolic rate. It is not easy to determine your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Experts with the right tools might put you in a sealed room and measure how much CO2 your body gives off during a period of time, then calculate how much energy it took your body to generate that much CO2 as a byproduct of its energy consumption. This could take a significant amount of time and money to accomplish.

There are many online metabolic calculators that will help you determine your BMR and how many Kcals you burn up during daily activities. Most of them focus on your bodyweight and composition, with the idea being that the leaner you are, the more muscle you have that is burning energy, and therefore the higher your BMR. I have found these calculators to be universally crap.

There are a few formulas that come close to getting it right. But ultimately, you will need to determine it by trial and error yourself.

Here is one I like: BMR = 500 + (10 x LBM)

To get your body's actual caloric expenditure, multiply by a factor between 1.2 to 1.9, depending on how active you are. 1.2 = sedate; 1.5 = moderately active. 1.9 = works hard all day long (i.e. hard physical work).

To calculate your LBM start by measuring your percentage bodyfat. You can do this with calipers, or you can go to a university with an immersion machine that measures bodyfat vs lean bodymass. To do this with calipers, measure the following three places: side of belly, near waist, where the fat is fairly thick; back of your triceps muscle, wing of your shoulderblade. You will need help with these. Take the average (add the three together and divide by 3 to get the average). The calipers should come with a chart. Use the chart to determine your percentage bodyfat. Use this percentage, and multiply it by your bodyweight, to determine how much fat is on your body. then subtract that from your bodyweight, to determine your lean bodymass (LBM).

The key to the whole thing (Getting Your Diet Right & Calculatiing Your BMR) is measuring your food and calculating your macros.

Now that you know roughly your total daily caloric expenditure, you need to synchronize your diet with your caloric expenditure, to eat like a bodybuilder.

The best way to do this, is to create a food journal, where you log the foods and qantities you eat each day. I like Fitday.com. This and other sites like Livestrong.com allow you to keep a journal where you can log your food and calculate your daily Kcals consumed, and how much protein, carbs and fat you are eating.

You should buy a scale and use a measuring cup or the scale for everything you eat. do that for a month and you will learn a lot about the foods you eat and your diet. Eventually you won't need to log and weigh every meal, and will be able to stay on diet with only occasional weighing and logging to be sure you are staying on track.

. . . there is more to come!

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Nice man.

Thanks for sharing.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
Nice man! Def gonna sub to this thread!

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Nice man.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Glad you liked it.

Nice man! Def gonna sub to this thread!

Thanks for reading it.

You eat big! To get big!.

True in general, however it definitely matters how you eat big. If you eat pizza and candy and ice cream and you have my bodytype (mesomorph) you will gain more fat than muscle. Maybe a skinny guy (ectomorph) can get away with the junk, but I cannot.

My last two bulks, while eating clean and according to the above formula, I gained significant weight, while my percentage bodyfat decreased. You hear people claiming that does happen, then you read experts who say it is impossible. Well I know that if you eat right, you can gain muscle and lose percentage bodyfat at the same time (at least with the right supplents added in).

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
So let's calculate my BMR and then total daily caloric expenditure.

I weigh 245lbs. My % bodyfat is around 17% leaving me with 83% lean bodymass. 245 x .83 = 203.35. That means my lean bodymass (LBM) is around 203 lbs.

Using the formula I posted above BMR = 500 + (10 x LBM), my BMR = 500 + (10 x 203) = 2530.

To get my body's actual caloric expenditure, multiply by a factor between 1.2 to 1.9, depending on how active I am. 1.2 = sedate; 1.5 = moderately active. 1.9 = works hard all day long (i.e. hard physical work).

I have a desk job. But I work out hard for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening most days, so 2 hours of hard physical activity each day. Weekends I am pretty active, though it varies. Sometimes I spend an entire day doing firewood. If I worked hard all day long, that would be 9-10 hours of hard physical labor each day. So I guess my multiplier should be a 1.4.

2,530 x 1.4 = 3,542. So 3,542 should be the amount of Kcals I need each day to maintain my current weight. If I eat 3,542 Kcals per day, then I should neither gain, nor lose weight.

It is important to realize these metabolic formulas can only give you a very rough idea what is actually going on. The real proof is in running a test diet. To know if the calculation is right, eat that much food for two weeks and watch whether you gain or lose weight. If you gain, then the result is too high. If you lose, then it was too low. Once you know if the number is right or not, you can start your next phase of bodybuilding diet.

So, for example, if I lost a few lbs while eating this much food, I would know it was probably a little low. If my next phase was to be a bulk, then I would adjust the initial weight gain formula up a little bit to make up for the short fall in the calculated result. So instead of adding 500 Kcals above maintenance, I might add 750 to start the bulk.

Some folks add more than that to their bulk (on my current bulk, I am about 1,500 Kcals per day above maintenance). But you get the idea.

Conversely, if my next phase were a cut, and I was losing weight on the 3,500 Kcals per day, I might stay there if I lost 2 lbs per week, and if I lost less, then I might drop my daily Kcals down to 3,250 for a couple weeks to see how it goes. The goal on fat loss is an average of 2 lbs per week after the initial loss of water (some folks lose 10 lbs the first couple weeks, that is mostly water and glycogen as they start to deplete their bodies).

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
You eat big! To get big!.

I used to think this too, then I got really fat and didn't have much more muscle to show for it. This is such a terrible approach to diet, IMO. Now, I eat a bit above maintenance, with the right macros, and gains have been WAY better than simply "eating big". Macros are highly under rated, as well as tracking what you eat.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I have always just eaten as much clean food as I can put down my face when bulking. With the occasional crap junk food, like Mcdoubles I'll eat 5 of those in a sitting at least once a week. I prefer to eat healthy anyways so its usually not a big deal with putting on a bunch of fat during bulking.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Now that we have calculated 3,500 as maintenance, and I have decided to eat 1,500 kcals per day above maintenance, the next question is how I should be eating to achieve this goal.

For a bulk, I should get at least 1.5g of protein per lb of lean bodymass, and possibly as much as 2g protein. 1.5 x 203LBM = 307.5g protein and 2 x 203LBM = 406g protein. Each gram of protein holds about 4Kcals of energy. So 307g protein = 1,228 Kcals and 406g protein = 1,624 Kcals. If I were doing a bulk with an excess of 500Kcals I would eat closer to 1.5g protein. For a bulk with an excess of 1,500 Kcals, I can afford a little higher protein in my diet so I will eat closer to 2.0g protein, which is exactly what I am doing.

So in my current 5,000 Kcal per day diet I am eating 400g protein or 1,600Kcals of protein each day, which leaves 3,400 Kcals per day for other macros. Since I am bulking on carbs, I want to keep the fats fairly low, to 100g or less per day. Each g of fat contains 9Kcals, so if I am eating around 100g fat, I am getting around 1,000 Kcals from fat each day, which leaves 2,400 Kcals per day for carbs. Carbs contain 4Kcals per gram, so that is 600g of carbs each day.

So to summarize my ideal bulk diet:

Aim for 1,500 Kcals above maintenance.

Eat 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per lb of lean bodymass (in my case 400g protein).
Keep fats at or below 100g per day.
Fill the gap with carbs (in my case 600g carbs).

1g Protein = 4Kcals so 4 x 400g = 1,600Kcals from protein
1g Carbs = 4 Kcals so 4 x 600g = 2,400Kcals from carbs
1g Fat = 9 Kcals so 9 x 110g = 1,000Kcals from fats
Total Kcals = 5,000Kcals

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
So, if you are new to this, you are asking yourself, what does 5,000 Kcals, broken down into 400g protein, 600g carbs and 100g fats look like? Well here is what mine looks like (more or less).

Meal 1, 6:00 am.

6 whole eggs
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup whole milk

Meal 2, 8:30 am
10 oz chicken
10 oz rice

Meal 3, 12:00 noon
10 oz chicken
10 oz rice
1 cup peas (or corn or another fibrous veggie)

Meal 4, 4:00 pm
10 oz chicken
10 oz rice
1 cup corn

Meal 5
8 oz steak
green salad

Meal 6
cottage cheese
1 cup milk

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Great thread and conversation, woodswise! Thanks, bro.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Great thread and conversation, woodswise! Thanks, bro.

Thanks bud. I wish I had this information 20+ years ago. My bodybuilding would have gone a lot different. At least I discovered it before it was too late for me to see some serious progress.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic