Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Tiny Meeker Hits New All Time Bench Press World Record!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
i dont really get the shirted bench thing.

how is the world record deadlift LOWER than the world record benchpress?

Lifters get more out of a bench shirt than they get out of a deadlift suit.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Mendleson aka ugliest dude ever went after it at super training gym. Tore his pec though. So it's in the horizon.

Spoto and a couple others are chasing it. Spoto got an official 700lbs bench at a meet (I don't remember which one). I think he'll be the one to break it.

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
All that being said, still impressive lift by tiny

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Lifters get more out of a bench shirt than they get out of a deadlift suit.
You can say that again. DL suit, 10-15% at most by all accounts.

Spoto will break the raw record at some point, I think it will fall this year IMHO.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Spoto and a couple others are chasing it. Spoto got an official 700lbs bench at a meet (I don't remember which one). I think he'll be the one to break it.
Pretty sure it was Sean Katterle's 'Kings of the Bench' meet earlier this year, then he did 700 again in the Animal Cage.

He missed all three attempts at the 'Backyard meet', although he very nearly had the last attempt and I believe that was with 716lb from memory?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Tell me if I'm wrong PLK cause my time in a shirt is very limited. But if you bring the bar down and you're not in the groove it can get your elbows and/or wrists out of line from the bar. So to avoid dumping the bar he may not have been able to bring it to touch.

That's happened to me before. Was about 1inch off the chest and if I tried to go any further The bar would have been in my lap. This was prior to me getting with a crew.

Not trying to answer for Porky, just thought I would put my .02 in.

What happens when you can't touch is that the shirt locks up. There are a couple things you can do when this happens:

1. Keep letting the bar put pressure on shirt and it might loosen up enough to touch. You have to be careful though because there is a TON of pressure in your head while this is going on.

2. You can VERY SLOWLY move the bar forward towards your stomach. The bar will have a better chance of touching if you do this.

I tried doing the moving the bar forward a little at my last meet. It takes some getting used to. You don't need to do that unless your in a REALLY tight single ply shirt or a multi ply shirt thats real tight.

My shirt is easy to touch in so I don't think I needed to roll it forward. The shirt I have is easy to touch is so you don't have to do it. But when I did it, the bar touched easier.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Pretty sure it was Sean Katterle's 'Kings of the Bench' meet earlier this year, then he did 700 again in the Animal Cage.

He missed all three attempts at the 'Backyard meet', although he very nearly had the last attempt and I believe that was with 716lb from memory?

I was pretty sure he wasn't gonna make that lift at Bell's meet and it's not b/c I was bashing him. I just think the 2 meets were to close to each other. Only having 4 weeks (I believe) isn't enough time to try for something like that.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Some shirts you actually have to pull the bar down to touch. Moving the bar forward or down towards your stomach may also get you red lighted.

PLing has come a long ways. A lot of thought in form and technique has gone into benching. One reason why lifts have gone through the roof over past years. You really don't see that much going into improve or find new lifting techniques for deads and squats now. I remember Doyle Kennedy had pulled 1000lbs in the 80's. Admittedly there are some heavy pullers but not the huge jump that Bench has taken over the years. In the 80's it was a huge accomplishment joining the 300lb club! 500lbs were as common then as they are today. And the thought of pressing over 1000lbs was a dream. Say what you want but I feel Ryan Kennely has contributed to something towards advancing bench press. Although, I know he's not the first nor the best but close enough to it.

That said...congrats to Tiny for such a performance. Amazing strength.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Tell me if I'm wrong PLK cause my time in a shirt is very limited. But if you bring the bar down and you're not in the groove it can get your elbows and/or wrists out of line from the bar. So to avoid dumping the bar he may not have been able to bring it to touch.

That's happened to me before. Was about 1inch off the chest and if I tried to go any further The bar would have been in my lap. This was prior to me getting with a crew.

Yes and no, and TurboLag has part of it right as well..... part of it is the form required to touch in a shirt. Without the shirt you'd blow your shoulders apart trying to tuck and press off of your upper gut, but if you tried to bench with your raw form in the shirt you'd have to use a really wussy shirt or you wouldn't be able to touch.

PoB, what you were seeing is just the shirt being set to touch a weight that is heavier than what was in your hands and just locking up. And you're exactly right that a lot of guys try to slide it in like what TurboLag described and just dump the bar on their guts.

TurboLag, I've seen this from guys struggling to work shirts, sometimes it works and sometimes you dump the bar like what PoB described. If you get to this point then you already effed up though. Once the bar stops moving you're in for a bad time. The key is hitting the right groove and moving the bar with enough momentum to work the shirt. If you break slowly and try to inch the bar towards your belly it'll be a hard time coming - even in a really forgiving shirt like a SDP. You need to use speed to get a clean touch with lighter weights. Even with nearly 1100, watch how decisively Tiny brings the bar in for the touch. Have a partner call your groove and when the bar starts to slow down have them tell you to pull it in. Start pulling before it locks up and it'll keep going smoothly....

With that said - on top of having a top team to help me I've been lucky to have been able to go to one of Rob Luyando's bench seminars and that took my bench light years ahead of where it was. He's doing another one in Detroit on June 22 - the Relentless training seminar - If any of you guys can make it out - do it. I'll be there.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Some shirts you actually have to pull the bar down to touch. Moving the bar forward or down towards your stomach may also get you red lighted.

PLing has come a long ways. A lot of thought in form and technique has gone into benching. One reason why lifts have gone through the roof over past years. You really don't see that much going into improve or find new lifting techniques for deads and squats now. I remember Doyle Kennedy had pulled 1000lbs in the 80's. Admittedly there are some heavy pullers but not the huge jump that Bench has taken over the years. In the 80's it was a huge accomplishment joining the 300lb club! 500lbs were as common then as they are today. And the thought of pressing over 1000lbs was a dream. Say what you want but I feel Ryan Kennely has contributed to something towards advancing bench press. Although, I know he's not the first nor the best but close enough to it.

That said...congrats to Tiny for such a performance. Amazing strength.

Doyle Kennedy never pulled 1000lbs in the 80's. He pulled 903lbs in 1986 setting a new WR. Is that a monster pull? Hell YES, but it's not a grand. Only 2 people have done that and he's not one of them.

Last edited:
Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
Amazing thread, you guys. You all have my respect, that is for sure! Many years ago, my best friend (who sadly died from Nubain) was a power-lifter. I went to several meets w/ him, and power-lifters are a great group of guys/gals. If 2 guys were going up against each other, they were nonetheless always friendly w/ each other. Contrast that w/ bodybuilding comps, where the only thing competitors give each other are dirty looks. At one contest, a big guy did an 800 lb squat, and then walked over (smiling the whole time) to a bag from McDonald's, took out a hamburger, and ate it. I nearly pissed myself laughing. I asked "hey, is there cheese on that?'

This was about 19 years ago. I remember that it would take at least 10 minutes for my friend just to get his shirt on, and I think his bench was "only" in the high 400's (he competed at 181). His big goal was to squat 700, but he only got 661 that day.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have been on other forums, and this one (TID) seems to have more hard core competitive athletes than other boards, yes? I also think that bodybuilders should train a lot like power lifters their first 3-4 years.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
.........Correct me if I am wrong, but I have been on other forums, and this one (TID) seems to have more hard core competitive athletes than other boards, yes? I also think that bodybuilders should train a lot like power lifters their first 3-4 years.

No, you are right in that TID has a VERY large following of strength athletes esp PLers. You're also right that there is a comradery in PLing. We all want to win of course but we also help push each other, support each other, and even help each other. The only other sport I've seen that is like that is SM (strongman).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic