Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Tiny Meeker First Man to Bench 1,100lbs in Multiply!

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Gs you keep saying the equipment is an advantage and it just isnt.

Nobody is comparing raw to geared pl

Records are entirely separate

Lifting in gear is actually harder, more complicated, more technical, more stressful and significantly more dangerous. For some that's more fun as well.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying if non-equipped lifting did not exist at all (so there could be no comparison to equipped lifting) The gear is still allowing the person to lift more weight. That's all I'm saying. It's not honest strength. I respect honest strength more. That's it.

No one competes running against a car do they? The car is "equipment". You cannot run as fast as you can drive a car. Correct? Cars compete against cars and runners compete against runners. Fair enough? Someone comes to a forum and says they run 1/4 mile in 13 seconds. Do you see how absurd this is? I'm not saying Lifting in gear is not harder, more complicated, more technical, more stressful and significantly more dangerous. I'm saying its not a true representation of how strong the person actually is.

Again look at the above Jiu-jitsu example. They don't "compete" against each other either. Two different things. I respect one more than the other for the same reasons. But they both call an arm bar and arm bar and a choke a choke. And I'll bet the equipped lifters still call deadlifts deadlifts and bench press a bench press don't they?

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying if non-equipped lifting did not exist at all (so there could be no comparison to equipped lifting) The gear is still allowing the person to lift more weight. That's all I'm saying. It's not honest strength. I respect honest strength more. That's it.

No one competes running against a car do they? The car is "equipment". You cannot run as fast as you can drive a car. Correct? Cars compete against cars and runners compete against runners. Fair enough? Someone comes to a forum and says they run 1/4 mile in 13 seconds. Do you see how absurd this is? I'm not saying Lifting in gear is not harder, more complicated, more technical, more stressful and significantly more dangerous. I'm saying its not a true representation of how strong the person actually is.

Again look at the above Jiu-jitsu example. They don't "compete" against each other either. Two different things. I respect one more than the other for the same reasons. But they both call an arm bar and arm bar and a choke a choke. And I'll bet the equipped lifters still call deadlifts deadlifts and bench press a bench press don't they?

Honest strength is a term you are defining yourself though.

Holding 1000 pounds over your face requires enormous mental fortitude and hell bone density too. Plus at some point you do have to lock out 1000 pounds. Would you be impressed by a guy who can pin press 700?

ITS not for you. I get it. It's not for everyone that's for damn sure. Doesn't make it worth criticizing imo.

I kinda see this like you don't get why people lift equipped. And I don't get why you would pay 2 seconds of attention to it. That would be like if I paid attention to BJJ as a sport versus a defense. While I realize that's a thing from what I see you and ketsugo talk about, I don't care.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Honest strength is a term you are defining yourself though.

Holding 1000 pounds over your face requires enormous mental fortitude and hell bone density too. Plus at some point you do have to lock out 1000 pounds. Would you be impressed by a guy who can pin press 700?

ITS not for you. I get it. It's not for everyone that's for damn sure. Doesn't make it worth criticizing imo.

I kinda see this like you don't get why people lift equipped. And I don't get why you would pay 2 seconds of attention to it. That would be like if I paid attention to BJJ as a sport versus a defense. While I realize that's a thing from what I see you and ketsugo talk about, I don't care.

Honest strength in the sense that you are using your body and nothing else that gives you a mechanical advantage to lift the weight. Yes, I'm sure holding 1000 pounds over your face requires enormous mental fortitude. The same as me sliding under a car with a jack. It could fall and kill me because I sure as hell do not have the strength to keep it from killing me. I guess thats kinda my point. If it was not for the equipment the 1000 pounds would kill him.

Notice my first post said "I'd be far more impressed with one honest rep to lockout with no shirt and 800 pounds". Not really criticizing just saying I don't find it as impressive as someone moving honest weight. I get why ppl lift equipped. It's fun. And some like to brag about their artificially inflated numbers.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic