Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Tiny Meeker First Man to Bench 1,100lbs in Multiply!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
The amount of pressure the shirt puts on your head is rediculous. It feels like its going to pop.

I've only benched in a single ply shirt, and I thought I was gonna pass out on multiple occasions with it on.

The pressure on your temples is tremendous.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A few things.... and I definitely don't take criticism of Tiny's bench as an attack on all geared lifting.

There's another video he posted with his warmups. He manhandles 1000+ with a full lockout. So, I don't want to take anything away from him. He's clearly strong as shit. Probably the strongest competing right now, top 5 all time...... BUT that 1102 and 1080 were sketchy at best. He moved the weight but it didn't look locked out to me.

The thing to remember with lifting is that everything is relative. When I was first handling 500 I felt like I was going to get crushed. Same with 600, 700, 800, and now getting really close to 900. Muscle, tendon, and bone all adapt to the stress.

True though, the pressure in gear is tremendous and the weight is still on you, crushing everything. That's the part of the game that I like about geared lifting. There's a lot more technique, strategy, and skill to learn on top of the brute strength. Raw lifting isn't easy by any means, just easier to dial in and easier to learn. To some that difference steers them towards raw, some go to gear because of it. No big deal either way, just different ways to compete.

As for nerve damage and internal pressure..... no doubt that the increased weights and gear add up to more risk with both. When I got my heart checked out my cardiologist said it best... " well, if you had an aneurism or weak aorta your wife would know about it by now".... for what it's worth - my heart is healthy despite years of competing geared. Having the mindset to fight through that pressure is what separates good from great geared lifters. Conquer your mind, mother****er.

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
I don't know, as someone who has been in powerlifting since the beginning and seen the changes the gear has made, I really don't know. Massive weights, very strong people but where is the sport going.
Tiny is a great guy and super strong, enough said.

Reactions: SAD
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I don't know, as someone who has been in powerlifting since the beginning and seen the changes the gear has made, I really don't know. Massive weights, very strong people but where is the sport going.
Tiny is a great guy and super strong, enough said.

1968 Senior Nationals in LA, Inzer, etc were just kids then, PL's used thin OL belts turned backwards, wore several pair of tight blue jean cutoffs, wrapped bedsheets or inner tubes around their waists, this meet was what opened peoples' eyes to how you could "demonstrate your strength." and opened some ppl's eyes to how you could make money inventing and marketing all different variations of squat suits, deadlift suits, bench shirts, PL panties, and wraps for wrists, elbows and knees.

Phooey. Tiny and others ARE really way stronger than I am, but the numbers are meaningless. Many ppl first got into iron originally to get bigger/better at HS football or other sports, or to fare better in street fights, and none of that allows you and your helpers time to get your gear on just right so you can demonstrate what you can do.

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
I remember the 1968 Nationals and it was a joke, and things haven't gotten any better since then, just more sophisticated.

OK I just gave away my age. Damn I am old.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
1968 Senior Nationals in LA, Inzer, etc were just kids then, PL's used thin OL belts turned backwards, wore several pair of tight blue jean cutoffs, wrapped bedsheets or inner tubes around their waists, this meet was what opened peoples' eyes to how you could "demonstrate your strength." and opened some ppl's eyes to how you could make money inventing and marketing all different variations of squat suits, deadlift suits, bench shirts, PL panties, and wraps for wrists, elbows and knees.

Phooey. Tiny and others ARE really way stronger than I am, but the numbers are meaningless. Many ppl first got into iron originally to get bigger/better at HS football or other sports, or to fare better in street fights, and none of that allows you and your helpers time to get your gear on just right so you can demonstrate what you can do.

The numbers are meaningless ..... to you.

And they should be. You don't compete in that class. It's like me, as a geared lifter, keeping tabs on the raw records. Unless a friend of mine is looking to break one I don't know any of the numbers or most of the lifters and I don't care. I just follow the type of lifting that I like.

Now, that doesn't make one better than the other. It's like racing. Both F1 racing and drag racing show the power of a car and skill of the driver, they just do it in different ways.
Comparing the two is just as ridiculous. This isn't a thread on geared lifting, it was about a single lift.....

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'd be far more impressed with one honest rep to lockout with no shirt and 800 pounds. Hell, bench is my weakest lift but put one of those shirts on me so it takes 200 pounds to even bend my arms and I could half assed hold 300 pounds more than I can actually bench for a few seconds too.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The reality is 3/4 of that weight would be to much for the majority of us shirt or no shirt and the idea that the shirt does all the work is nothing more than ignorance. Putting on a bench shirt doesn't add 200lbs to someone's bench. If it was that easy everyone would do it. There are some who try to lift equipped and fail miserably. They actually lift LESS equipped than they do raw.

I can honestly say I was guilty of this same thought process a long time ago. It wasn't till I got to train with Curtis Leslie and Steve Goggins that my eyes were opened to what it really is. It's hard work either way and the lifter still has to do ALL the work. The equipment provides a safer enviornment to lift in and the gear does aid the lifter BUT if you put a bench shirt on a bench it won't lift the bar by itself.

We can debate whether we feel the lift was good or not but in the end ALL that matters is the lift was good in the eyes of the judges. Congrats to Tiny for moving superhuman weight.

You don't have to like equipped lifting but you have to respect it. Those guys/girls who compete equipped are pushing their bodies to the limit just like us raw lifters. Those who think the shirt, suits, briefs, wraps do all the work.... go to any PLing gym, ask to try someone's old equipment, and show them how easy it is.

Last edited:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
The reality is 3/4 of that weight would be to much for the majority of us shirt or no shirt and the idea that the shirt does all the work is nothing more than ignorance. Putting on a bench shirt doesn't add 200lbs to someone's bench. If it was that easy everyone would do it. There are some who try to lift equipped and fail miserably. They actually lift LESS equipped than they do raw.

I can honestly say I was guilty of this same thought process a long time ago. It wasn't till I got to train with Curtis Leslie and Steve Goggins that my eyes were opened to what it really is. It's hard work either way and the lifter still has to do ALL the work. The equipment provides a safer enviornment to lift in and the gear does aid the lifter BUT if you put a bench shirt on a bench it won't lift the bar by itself.

We can debate whether we feel the lift was good or not but in the end ALL that matters is the lift was good in the eyes of the judges. Congrats to Tiny for moving superhuman weight.

You don't have to like equipped lifting but you have to respect it. Those guys/girls who compete equipped are pushing their bodies to the limit just like us raw lifters. Those who think the shirt, suits, briefs, wraps do all the work.... go to any PLing gym, ask to try someone's old equipment, and show them how easy it is.

I'm not saying I don't respect these guys for what they do. Anyone willing to lay under 1100 pounds and trust 3 people to be able to get it off them has my respect. But the equipment does add a hell of a lot and lets not pretend it does not. I'm pretty good friends with a few power lifters at my gym and they pretty much across the board say they can bench "at least 100-120 lbs more with a shirt." Are their bench presses already impressive without one? Sure. And I'm more impressed with Frank when he does 405 for 8 reps than I am when he does 600 for one looking like fuc kin robocop with shirt, wraps, pulleys, ropes, and 3 spoters. Personal preferences.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I can actually agree with all the posts above, incl. those that seem to disagree with mine, and, yeah, I did like the racing analogy. In my defense, I did say Tiny and many others may be way stronger than I am under any circumstances. I think my issues are more with how artificial PL has made itself look to mainstream folk over the years. The first equipment you could run out and buy in lieu of using the 1968 Macgiver crap was the PL belts, knee wraps and suits aimed at the Squat. Although these have continued to be tweaked over the years, they came before specific Deadlift suits and Bench shirts. Anyone who is even a somewhat accomplished recreational gym rat will be amazed by the advent of the Monolift too. They all are not gonna sell the sport to the general public or ever help it get approved as an Olympics event. I DO realize the hardcore competitors could care less, but when a guy needs others to help him get dressed to lift, and walks to the platform like Frankenstein, it limits fan appeal and makes it hard for us old fogies from back in the raw and near-raw days to accept gracefully. I guess the same argument could be made by natty guys who look at us PED users, but at least when we lift x lbs in whatever lift it is our bodies doing it with no help from supportive gear, and it is something we could theoretically repeat a half hour or a day later, without having to tighten up or put everything back on again after that earlier lift. We have seen Strongman gain in popularity as PL has invented more and more equipment, imho there is a cause- - effect thing going on there.

Having just burned up a bunch of bandwidth, I'll bow out noting anybody wearing anything who can do anything with anywhere near 1100 lbs, other than leg press, IS a beast, and, this was a pretty good point too:

This isn't a thread on geared lifting, it was about a single lift.....

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I find it interesting that so many are fine with PED's but aren't ok with the idea of equipment. So many say that those who wear the suits and everything wouldn't be able to perform their lifts without them but could those who use PED's perform their lifts without their supps?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic