Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

Tiny Meeker First Man to Bench 1,100lbs in Multiply!

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
After recently breaking the Multply All Time record by the minimum requirement,
Tiny Meeker came roaring back to obliterate it with an astonishing 1,102lb World Record Bench Press!
This makes Tiny the first to bench over the 500kg/ 1100lb barrier. This will lift will obviously place him number one on the multiply rankings!

Last edited:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
For the last half-year, I was privileged to be a part-time powerlifting coach for a local team, all of whom are single-ply lifters in competition. I learned a lot about geared lifting, passed on what knowledge I could to the others as well, and really, truly, enjoyed every moment in that gym.

With that said, certain things still baffle me about geared benching. When is the weight "locked out"? Many many times, I've seen insanely strong geared lifters who absolutely did NOT lock out at the top, but they held it there for a little bit without coming back down so they'd rack it and green light it. What?

Look at this video. His left arm is clearly not locked out at the top. His right arm isn't either, but it's closer. I don't know if the human body is capable of locking out 1100lbs without significant assistance at the lockout. Multiply helps tremendously at the bottom, but not nearly as much at the top, which is also obvious in this video.

I don't know what else to say. I have benched in gear and it was fun, but I didn't love it. I have never squatted or deadlifted in gear, but I'm sure it's fun as well. I will very likely lift in gear at some point, single-ply, to give it a shot. But there are things about it as a whole, that just don't sit right with me.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
That is massively impressive!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
SAD, I've got to agree with you here. I've got tons of respect for this guy's strength, but that did not look like a successful lift.

nutnless220

nutnless220

Apr 13, 2012
I'm with you guys.
Seriously impressive weight, but no lock out.
If I were him, after seeing the video, I'd not claim the lift.
Sad to be a world record holder, but know in your heart that the lift was no good...

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I too agree with SAD. His left arm was no where near lock out and appeared to have not been a good lift.

Although, I have also learned, each PLing association has their own set of rules. Most of the "world records" are set in one or two of the most lenient associations and they allow a lot more. Many people won't even recognized records from those.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Please, PLK and every other serious geared lifter on here, I'm not bashing geared lifting when I say the following.

Tiny Meeker is a massively strong man. Crazy to even think about holding 1100 pounds in my hands, even if my arms were in a damn titanium cast. The bones in my forearms would shatter, seriously.

I would say Tiny Meeker is definitely capable of benching over 600 pounds raw, and quite possibly over 650, which is among the strongest ever. But, that means that the gear is allowing him to move 400 more pounds, right? That's fine, and I totally understand that that's the sport of geared lifting. My concern is only with the body's ability to actually handle that much more weight. I think we are finding the upper limits now, not of what we will TRY to do, but of what a joint such as the elbow CAN do. He simply cannot lock that weight out.

This is probably for another thread, but I also believe we are reaching a breaking point neurologically with the insane loads, and the pressure caused by the gear. I've talked with Gene Rychlak, first man to bench 900 and 1000, and he's been told by a doctor that he has suffered permanent neurological damage. He blames the geared lifting, and I tend to agree.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I was there for that conversation with Gene. It was interesting to say the least. The intracranial pressure is astounding.

That lift was a soft start and no lock. It's no lift IMO.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Crazy to even think about holding 1100 pounds in my hands, even if my arms were in a damn titanium cast. .

No doubt, It would crush me, and that's evne if I could get it unracked. LMAO!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
You could not. Neither could I.

extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
Funny I was thinking that when I was watching the video. The body has to have a limit. I know when i have benched heavy in the past the pressure is crazy in the skull. That amount geared or not can't be good I am sure we have all sat up with the almost purple face and the yellow dots flying around. I could see when going further into the 1k bench area someone having an aneurysm or popping out an eyeball. John Henry syndrome.

extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
No doubt, It would crush me, and that's evne if I could get it unracked. LMAO!

If I was able to unrack that (which I could never do) those plates would end up on the floor in .0000002 seconds with me still on the bench with my chest looking like a taco.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic