Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Tik Tok ban.... Please explain to me

blm

blm

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2023
Bytedance Tiktoks parent company is required by the chinese govt to give them access to every thing. While that might not seem like a big deal it gives them broad analytics on times people are active , good bought , services used , networking possiblities. As well as all the other fake news , ai pics and nonsense they put out.
I believe this to be true as well. I don't disagree with any argument made from this perspective. There should be efficient security measures in place. The conundrum is, who leads this task? The same people who used Twitter for their information wars?

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Don't underestimate the Chinese. I've seen them take over and dominate in science, infiltrate areas and block out other researchers by taking over journal editorial boards etc. They are smart and they are fast and they work 20 hours a day. And a lot of them are racist, more than any KKK member and genocidal. Our current leaders are no better.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
A platform that could potentially allow the CCP to whisper propaganda into the ears of American youths, shaping their morals and values 24/7, 365? I'm sure it's fine.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
As been stated, its a ban on government phones. And its not about the average Joe blow, its about people in critical positions who can now be tracked via Tik Tok and conceivably that information used for nefarious purposes.

From diplomats to people just working for a diplomat, or politician, or military... top scientists working in secret weapons labs. Using any and all information to either determine what they are doing or using it to extort and blackmail.

And since its through a Chinese company the Chinese government can do their own type of FISA warrant and get any information it wants from Tik Tok quite secretly (not that our FISA system seems any safer).

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
It is a bit more than government phones the government(s) are banning. There is an actual ban on state university property/networks being implemented in Florida.

My guess is it will be red state v blue state bullsh*t somehow too

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
My thinking is that there shouldn't be access to ANY social or entertainment media on government devices..... my taxes should pay for them to WORK... not to take internet video of their jiggly bits...

blm

blm

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2023
A platform that could potentially allow the CCP to whisper propaganda into the ears of American youths, shaping their morals and values 24/7, 365? I'm

My thinking is that there shouldn't be access to ANY social or entertainment media on government devices..... my taxes should pay for them to WORK... not to take internet video of their jiggly bits...
Agreed. My company does not allow any personal devices inside the work areas and any mobile work devices or computer systems are strictly monitored and controlled to eliminate the possibility of external threats or access. The security concerns from a foreign actor on TT and every other social app is legitimate and needs properly addressed. My argument was that this is a bipartisan attempt to control something that threatens their agendas. Anyone that thinks their true concern is about security is kidding themselves and forgetting about the NSA, Facebook, Cambridge Analytica, and Twitter.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I did not read the entire thread, so I may be repeating things.

*ANY* program, or for that matter, phone originating in China (hello, iPhone users) is potentially compromised. China has a very advanced spying program. You or I may not have anything the Chinese may be interested in, but we may have contacts on our phone who do. When I was in law enforcement, I had pretty good access on my phone to databases which would have been useful to foreign governments, but am also absolutely anal about security. Needed that access while out in the field. No national security stuff, but certainly access to a ton of stuff that might have been useful as part of a larger scheme.

Here is one confirmed incidence of Tik Tok spying, and you can be sure there's more: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...tedance-workers-fired-data-access-journalists

However....access to this stuff can also be accomplished by placing a tech worker at Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft, Instagram, etc. I mean, how many foreign tech workers are at these companies? Lots.

The fact that Tik Tok as been confirmed to have been used as spying on anybody in this country is enough for me to say ban it. It will also send a message to other social media companies that failure to ensure proper security for their users may result in a similar ban, and it should. No company too big to ban.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
A few political donations and this issue quietly disappears.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
“US GOVERNMENT HAD ‘FULL ACCESS’ TO PRIVATE TWITTER DMS, SAYS ELON MUSK

“The degree to which government agencies effectively had full access to everything that was going on on Twitter blew my mind,” says Musk. “I was not aware of that.”

“Would that include people’s DMs?” Carlson asked.

“Yes,” Musk replied.”

Im sure this is happening at all the major social media platforms.

What’s the difference between this and what the CCP is capable of doing?

Not much.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I can get covid walking down the street without a mask, so of course I believe I am being tracked.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
It is said that no government in history has ever taken a step back once they have achieved a spying capability. they do not ever surrender it, no matter what is said to the public. spying software developers have said this in interviews and no reason for them not to benefit from the money as someone else will just get it.

I fear and respect the Chinese so much I openly admit its intelligent to monitor them. am I prejudice, am I a racist? fuck it. COOL

I don't want to deal or do any business on US soil with the Chinese. I made up my mind on this when I was on the west coast and witnessed how they act when they own something in the US and what they will demand and attempt to do, as they trespass on American standards and traditions. it is vile and offensive. I will never support nor assist China on US soil. I'm pretty sure that if you are a bootlicker to the Chinese, the day will come when you will finally regret it.

Have you not had a conversation yet and a commercial or videos on the topic come up? coincidence? really?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic