Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Thyroid Questions - affecting fatloss

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
I put this here cause I feel like this issue is affecting my fatloss abilities at the moment.

I'm possibly dealing with hypothyroidism. My thyroid is enlarged and although a scan shows no tumor, it remains enlarged and has for a 6 week time period now. My thyroxine, t4, levels are low and have been since my last show. Adrenal fatigue could be the reason, I was pounding stims, nonetheless the problem is still existing. I'm researching as much as I can, My doctor doesn't seem to wanna try anything which pisses me off because the symptoms are hurting my day to day life. If I'm reading correctly, t4 or thyroxine is what the thyroid actually produces and mine is hovering just above LOW in the range (6 on a 4.5-12 scale). I think the t3 I've added in the past has suppressed my t4 production too much. I'm thinking of actually adding 100-200mcg t4 ED split in 2 doses and a very small amount of t3 like 25mg or possibly none at all. My symptoms are all classic hypo symptoms and the lethargy and weight gain (lack of loss) is killing me right now. Even for everyday function.

If you have any thoughts on this before I go jump off and self medicate, please let me know.

Last edited:
gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
First thought is go to a different doc. Someone more geared to specializing in this area.
Im not sure how long you have been off your last cycle? It always takes longer then we like to
recover. If you just go and start to self medicate that is going to get shit moving but does not
answer any questions as to WTF is really happen with your body. I think 400mcg of t4 is way over kill
and I'm no doc. You are just needing to tweek it up not blow it up.

Again different doc with different opinion. If it was a doc that knows what we do even better.
Good luck
GC

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks gotclen. To ellaborate just a little, I started hGH in my offseason and after my first bloodwork my t4 was below range so my coach and I decided I needed to add t4 assuming the low level was due to hGH rapidly increasing the t3 uptake conversion and leaving my t4 levels tanked. Now I'm no so sure that was the entire issue.

I was fine while on 200mcg t4 and my hGH therapy, but I stoped hGH abruptly when they found skin cancer on my head. That is honestly when most of the symptoms started as I trace back.

What Doc would specialize in this? My TRT doc? or an Endo? I'm afraid the Endo will check test levels which will be very high right now.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
Yes, T4 should be run beside along with gh. I would have maxed at 50 to 100mcg. Once you dropped the gh I would have run the t4 for another 2 weeks or so. No t3. So, you are still on your trt plus extra? I would think your trt doc could help get your levels back. I'm thinking it is just time. It always takes so much more time then we realize to get regulated again.
What kind of skin cancer you talking about? Basel?

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Ok so you think I'm still rebounding? I stopped hGH and t4 in first of March. I had a Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cool thing is I used a natural remedy and baffled the Dr. It's gone, completely. I figured I'd give it a shot first before surgery and, well it worked. crazy as it sounds.

I'm not on t3, I quit t3 back in may of last year after my show and didn't start t4 with my HGH till november.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Yes, T4 should be run beside along with gh. I would have maxed at 50 to 100mcg. Once you dropped the gh I would have run the t4 for another 2 weeks or so. No t3. So, you are still on your trt plus extra? I would think your trt doc could help get your levels back. I'm thinking it is just time. It always takes so much more time then we realize to get regulated again.
What kind of skin cancer you talking about? Basel?

So you say t4 should be maxed at 100mcg while on HGH? All that I've read suggested 150-200mcg

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
An endo specializes in the thyroid. 400mcg of T4 (ie, Synthroid) is a massive dose. People without thyroid glands at all typically take about 150mcg/day. Splitting the doses is unnecessary as the half life is long. You need to take T4 every morning on an empty stomach and cannot eat for an hour afterwards if you want it all to be absorbed properly. An enlarged thyroid is called a goiter. Did they find any nodules?

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
An endo specializes in the thyroid. 400mcg of T4 (ie, Synthroid) is a massive dose. People without thyroid glands at all typically take about 150mcg/day. Splitting the doses is unnecessary as the half life is long. You need to take T4 every morning on an empty stomach and cannot eat for an hour afterwards if you want it all to be absorbed properly. An enlarged thyroid is called a goiter. Did they find any nodules?

They didn't mention nodules. said no tumors or irregularities other than enlargement.
Yeah I don't know why I put 400mcg, i changed that. Even if I tried 50mcg to see how I feel on it. What I'm concerned about is it going too long. I'm already getting desensitization of smell and taste.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
We both are not doctors Im guessing. It has been my understanding 50mcg might be enough to get that morning temp back to normal. or 75 or 100mcg. Never have I heard 150 to 200. The goal is to just help the surpressed thyroid out. Not shut it done and go 100% with the supplement. AJ, I wont act like I have the answers. I would much error on the side less is more then going over board. Most I talk to just add 50mcg daily period.

So you say t4 should be maxed at 100mcg while on HGH? All that I've read suggested 150-200mcg

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
We both are not doctors Im guessing. It has been my understanding 50mcg might be enough to get that morning temp back to normal. or 75 or 100mcg. Never have I heard 150 to 200. The goal is to just help the surpressed thyroid out. Not shut it done and go 100% with the supplement. AJ, I wont act like I have the answers. I would much error on the side less is more then going over board. Most I talk to just add 50mcg daily period.

Ok cool, I wasn't saying you didn't know, cause I myself don't know a lot about t4. Just when I did my research everyone seemed to be running 150-200mcg alongside their GH. I've been doing anywhere from 120-160, usually 120-140. I may back it down to 80..

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I lived with hypo thyroid for several years (without knowing it after a head injury screwed up that and my test levels). I had no problems dropping weight when I just ate at a deficit. Your body is not magic. If you eat less then you burn, you will lose weight. Now that I am medicated for my thyroid (25mcg T3) and TRT, my BMR rose about 150cals as well as my body temp coming back to normal instead of a full deg low.

Long story short, I dont know how lean you are trying for, but I had no trouble getting 10% range with just a simple deficit. Weight loss is not magic.... While hypo may decrease your TDEE a little, if you eat less then you burn you will lose weight.

I have only been on T3 for 3 months now. (been on TRT for 1.5 years). I will evaluate over time the difference. But like I said....even low-t and hypo thyroid, weight loss happens at a deficit regardless.

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Well I'm actually prepping for a show and am stuck at 8.5-9%. I am eating at a deficit but it seems to only be adding to the lethargy. So you are being treated for hypo with t3?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic