Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Thougts and advice on deadlift

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so i started deadlifting in january of this year. i have really enjoyed it and it is one of the lifts that i like to go heavy on. i also think it is a lift that form is very important to do correctly to avoid injury.

the basic deadlift movement is something that i use everyday in my job. lifting hay bales, laying down horses, manipulating horses, picking up dogs etc etc. so i want to get it down perfect :)

i have gotten much better about moving hips and shoulders together. there are still times when i am tired that i dont get it completely right but i am way better than i used to be. my big thing now is that i round my back too much. i am concentrating on trying to keep my shoulders back and chest out but i am still rounding in my lumbar area when i start the pull. i need to figure out what i need to do to stop this.

so i didnt go heavy. these are three sets at 225# each set videoed at a different angle. i would appreciate the thoughts of you guys who actually deadlift.

PLEASE NO RUDE OR CRUDE COMMENTS. THANKS :)

Last edited by a moderator:
KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Whatever you do, dont ask deadweight.. He doesnt know anything about deadlifts... :p

Just pullin ur chain man haha.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I personally only know of 3 women who actually go to the gym and deadlift... So you're already light years ahead... I've only got two comments that I think you wanna focus on...

1. When you step up to the bar and get ready to lift, watch your shoulder position. Is it in front of the bar or behind it? Keep your shoulders behind the bar and that will help you "sit back" a bit just before you lift. Don't sit back all the way to parallel though - its not a squat.

2. Drive the motion with your hips. As if you were trying to hump the bar. I know I know, no crude comments but really, push your pelvis forward as you ascend. And me conscious of that fact until it becomes ingrained in your being. If you watch in slow mo you begin the lift with your lower back instead of your hips. The very first few seconds your hips aren't moving at all but your back is. Maybe only an inch but its there. I'll watch a few more times and add to this if I can. Deadlifting pays dividends and I owe much of the success in my life to it :)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Pulls looked smooth. Back was rounding a little by the time of your third vid, but that's normal for form to start breaking down with volume deads, even at a weight that you can easily handle for 10 reps.

Deads 9/10
Pink Chucks 10/10

:D

Last edited:
KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Just smell some ammonia and smack yourself in the head a few times lol and yank it off the floor. With good form...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just smell some ammonia and smack yourself in the head a few times lol and yank it off the floor. With good form...

You forgot that she's supposed to eat a stack of pancakes first... Ever seen a LEAN powerlifter? lol

ATW- other than those two little comments from me above, you're doing great work ;)

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
You forgot that she's supposed to eat a stack of pancakes first... Ever seen a LEAN powerlifter? lol

ATW- other than those two little comments from me above, you're doing great work ;)

I eat 5 pancakes every morning. and im LEAN

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
actually your form is pretty good, the bar moves first, before hips and that is something not many people are able to do.
Now just work on getting hips down some and that will give a better angle for your back, when u do that dont let hips move first.
You have the difficult parts of the lift down, just get hips down so u are using legs more than back.
As someone said it is about angles as well as strength.
Good Job

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I personally only know of 3 women who actually go to the gym and deadlift... So you're already light years ahead... I've only got two comments that I think you wanna focus on...

1. When you step up to the bar and get ready to lift, watch your shoulder position. Is it in front of the bar or behind it? Keep your shoulders behind the bar and that will help you "sit back" a bit just before you lift. Don't sit back all the way to parallel though - its not a squat.

i have subscribed to the mark rippetoe version of deadlifting and he says that the shoulderblades are to be over the bar which puts the shoulders in front of the bar. if you havent watched his anatomy of the deadlift it is very good. it helped me a lot. so that is why i am positioned the way i am in regards to my shoulders and their position to the bar.

2. Drive the motion with your hips. As if you were trying to hump the bar. I know I know, no crude comments but really, push your pelvis forward as you ascend. And me conscious of that fact until it becomes ingrained in your being. If you watch in slow mo you begin the lift with your lower back instead of your hips. The very first few seconds your hips aren't moving at all but your back is. Maybe only an inch but its there. I'll watch a few more times and add to this if I can. Deadlifting pays dividends and I owe much of the success in my life to it :)

i will work on this. thanks

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
actually your form is pretty good, the bar moves first, before hips and that is something not many people are able to do.
Now just work on getting hips down some and that will give a better angle for your back, when u do that dont let hips move first.
You have the difficult parts of the lift down, just get hips down so u are using legs more than back.
As someone said it is about angles as well as strength.
Good Job

i used to try and keep my hips much lower but than i was really bad about moving them first. so after watching rippetoes videos on the deadlift, i started not sitting as deep with the hips and it helped a lot with that. i think as i get better at the movement i will try to sit deeper. thank you for the advice and thoughts.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you like having your shoulders over the bar like that, then consider trying a snatch grip dead lift. Basically, take a wider grip, as wide as is comfortable... It can help sit back too :)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
If you like having your shoulders over the bar like that, then consider trying a snatch grip dead lift. Basically, take a wider grip, as wide as is comfortable... It can help sit back too :)

video your deadlift and show me how you do it and than i will compare your method to rippetoes and see which one fits better.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic