Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Thoughts and support needed

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
I was up the same day, my understanding is the scar tissue keeps the disk from bulging back out again. If you don't let it heal and scar over, you run the risk of it bulging again. I could be wrong on what is supposed to happen, but I remember there is a risk of it re-bulging if you don't let it heal correctly, then you are screwed since they can't cut out more!! I had a micro-discectomy on l4,5 and s1 with no fusion.

Makes sense. Mine is l4,5 as well. I'm a little scared about the anesthesia though. How does that work? Count to 10 and you just get super sleepy?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Makes sense. Mine is l4,5 as well. I'm a little scared about the anesthesia though. How does that work? Count to 10 and you just get super sleepy?

No, you just wake up and it's over. I think I made it counting backwards to 7 and I was out. You're in the best place possible man, don't sweat that stuff

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Best nap you've ever had, Dont worry about that.

At least you're doing it now, I had elbow surgery years ago and it ruined my whole summer, I got fat, no training, no pool and no beach.

You'll bounce back. Good luck

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Lol out of 4 surgeries in 2 years I only remember going into the or twice! Once was my neck and that was because I had to move all over the place, a tad disconcerting when they are tying your hands together and you're awake! The second was a shoulder flush for infection. I don't even remember the mask. I do know I am always sick waking up now and just request the anti nausea stuff been given when they wake me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
Updates:

Decompression and disectomy went well this past Wednesday. Turns out I actually broke the disc in half, so they had to remove the whole thing. However, I'm sciatic pain free! Praise the lord! Only pain I really have as of today is some soreness from the incision and some calf cramps. I'm very appreciative for all the the messages and posts of insight and encouragement. You all great! Onward and upward.

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
How's recovery been going? @daman1

It's been a godsend. No nerve pain whatsoever. I started driving yesterday and had no pain. My incision area itself, and when I sit for long periods, are the only sore aspect; and it's still pretty minimal.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Ive seen cats slowly progress into more heavy lifting. Im on the Orthopedic floor. wearing a belt becomes more a priority. MDs are concerned about throwing back out due to improper form.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
TID fam,
I've been suffering from a large herniated disc and extreme nerve sciatica. As a result, I've been told I need a lower back surgical procedure called a "micro-disectomy." My surgeon all told me I need to hang up the heavy lifting and focus on lightweight machine exercises or I'd keep messing it up. I'm struggling because this has been my second love next to my wife. I feel psychologically scared to even do the machine because of the extreme, crippling pain I've experienced. I'm just not sure how to deal with the surgeons response or the subconscious fear. It's really depressing.

I had lower back reconstructed 1995. Get second and third opinion always . I went to orthopedic surgeon whose office is world famous in Boston . I was told that it will be up to each person to determine limits . Years later I tossed the lifting Belt 1995 do heavy deads , bent rows heavy squats now when at age 18 I could not . I went to 11 surgeons best thing I ever did

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I have had a heriated disc many years ago . But reciently I had a case of sciatica that last 8 weeks . The only thing that seemed to work and I'm sure started my recovery, was this exercise .. im sure it helps a lot .

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
I had lower back reconstructed 1995. Get second and third opinion always . I went to orthopedic surgeon whose office is world famous in Boston . I was told that it will be up to each person to determine limits . Years later I tossed the lifting Belt 1995 do heavy deads , bent rows heavy squats now when at age 18 I could not . I went to 11 surgeons best thing I ever did

What did they do with your reconstruction? Fusion? How long was it before you could go back to lifting?

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
UPDATE: I'm approaching 4 months post op. I've been given the official green light to begin weight training again; only light to medium weight for a few months before progressing to heavier. In a way, this is both a blessing and a curse. I'm thrilled to be told I'm healing well and should hit the weights again. On the counter, I'm thoroughly scared to touch one again for fear of re-injury. I don't know how to not perpetuate my own self-sabotaging. Just venting and updating. Thank you all for your kind posts and PMs when I first made this thread.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic