Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Thought I'd check ya'll out...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A friend told me about this place and said I should check it out so I decided to take him up on it and stop by.

Place is hopping. See some familiar faces and a lot that I don't know.

A lil about me. I'm a strength athlete who developed my own training methodology which seems to be growing in popularity (SST). I was a bber but couldn't stand the politics and bullshit that was involved so I switched a lil over 2 years ago and have never been happier.

I hope I can help but also hope to learn something new everyday.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Welcome to TID, please make yourself at home!!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the welcome guys.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For those who don't know about SST here is what my training methodology is:

SST stands for "Specialized Strength Training". It's a hybrid training method which I devised utilizing principles from Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting, and Strongman. The purpose of this training regimen is to increase speed, strength, coordination, agility, and size.

I train in 8 week cycles (2, 4 week waves) where the 4th & 8th week are a deload week (light week). The deload week essentially gives my CNS a break, allowing me to recover and ready myself for the next 3 wave of work. I train using periodization (percentages) for my major movements like deadlift, squat (front & back olympic style), bench, etc. These major movements are not substituted at any time during the regimen. The percentages I use for my major movements are as follows; Week1 65/75/85%, Week 2 70/80/90%, Week 3 75/85/95%, and Week 4 40/50/60%. The rep scheme I use for my major movements are as follows; Week 1 3 sets of 5, Week 2 3 sets of 3, Week 3 1 set of 5/ 1 set of 3/ 1 set of 1, Week 4 3 sets of 5. The goal is to hit the required reps during each week. On the last set of week 1-3 if I am able to lift more reps on the last set, I do. The main thing though is to make sure I hit the required totals though. One week 4 I only adhere to the rep, set, and percentage scheme laid out because that week is for recovery. I add weight with each new wave. Once I stall 2x I recalculate my true 1RM and then recreate my percentages based on that. I wait till I stall 2x because there can be outside influences as to why you were unable to hit your require numbers that day. Perhaps you didn't sleep enough, get enough food in you that day, or any other of the many reasons.

I utilize linear progression on all assisting movements that focuses on strength, but also builds size. On all assisting movements I use a 7-5-5-3-3 rep/set scheme. On Olympic assisting movements like snatch pulls, clean pulls, etc I use a 5-5-5-5-5 rep/set scheme. The purpose is to keep proper form which helps build proper motor and neural pathways and also keep you from getting injured which easily takes place when form becomes sloppy. The assisting movements are substituted with each new 8 week cycle.

Now, onto how much rest I take in between sets. For my major movements like deadlifts, squats, bench, etc I take 3-5min of rest depending on where I am on the wave. For all assisting movements I only take 1min 30sec rest time. I also train only 4x week, training EOD. This also allows my CNS to stay fresh and not overtrain. So for training days, you could choose Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun or any other combination which fits your schedule. There is also a 3x week training schedule but I’ll talk about that at a later time. It's basically for those who cannot fit 4 days into their busy schedule.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
welcome to the den

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Welcome to TID, BrotherIron and looking forward to seeing more of your training ideas

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic