Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Thoracic outlet syndrome

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
this is the second time I've had a serious problem related to this. The first time it went undiagnosed, and after months of not being able to bench or OHP due to major loss of strength it slowly got better... used massage and chairopactor then and lots of stretching and foam rolling but didn't seem to get better very quickly.

My pcp that had a sports medicine specialty checked me out yesterday... this problem has been back for about a month to 6 weeks now... loss of 80% strength on left side, pain and numbness in my scapula and spine area... regular spinal X-rays were normal, so initial Dx is thoracic outlet syndrome (I am assuming nervous and not vascular.)

Has anyone had this problem before ? Basically my neck muscles got too strong and are impinging a bundle of nerves.
Wonder if TB-500 or something would help speed up recovery? Or hydrolized collagen?

Hoping someone has dealt with this and has some info to share;

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
this is the second time I've had a serious problem related to this. The first time it went undiagnosed, and after months of not being able to bench or OHP due to major loss of strength it slowly got better... used massage and chairopactor then and lots of stretching and foam rolling but didn't seem to get better very quickly.

My pcp that had a sports medicine specialty checked me out yesterday... this problem has been back for about a month to 6 weeks now... loss of 80% strength on left side, pain and numbness in my scapula and spine area... regular spinal X-rays were normal, so initial Dx is thoracic outlet syndrome (I am assuming nervous and not vascular.)

Has anyone had this problem before ? Basically my neck muscles got too strong and are impinging a bundle of nerves.
Wonder if TB-500 or something would help speed up recovery? Or hydrolized collagen?

Hoping someone has dealt with this and has some info to share;

If everything you stated is accurate then there is no chemical to aid in recovery. You have to fix the imbalance with your neck that is squeezing the nerves.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
If everything you stated is accurate then there is no chemical to aid in recovery. You have to fix the imbalance with your neck that is squeezing the nerves.

The one time when muscles getting too strong is a bad thing.. what the hell, man!! Lol

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012

How, what could be done to help?

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Sounds like more of the massage, chiro and stretching that worked before is in order again.

I'm a regular chiro patient myself due to something similar. I was told by MD the options were corticosteroid injections or surgery. But with regular chiro treatments I'm doing great.

I wish I got massages more frequently but I just haven't had (*made) time lately.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011

The one time when muscles getting too strong is a bad thing.. what the hell, man!! Lol
Sounds like more of the massage, chiro and stretching that worked before is in order again.

I'm a regular chiro patient myself due to something similar. I was told by MD the options were corticosteroid injections or surgery. But with regular chiro treatments I'm doing great.

I wish I got massages more frequently but I just haven't had (*made) time lately.

The hardest part of this injury is dealing with the partial paralysis / acute loss of strength in press exercises..I am fine with the discomfort...forget the word they used, but for example a working set on flat bench or incline might be 275x 10 or 315x8 for the past couple years .. and now within a couple weeks span since this has flaired up bad, and I'm literally struggling to bench 135x8... do I even lift, bros?

Lol... I know things have to take their course, with recovery, but the psychological aspect of feeling like years of training and development will be undone. I found a doctor of PT that works in a gym and is also a trainer.. I am going to try and get with her on working out some programming that will allow me to stay active and minimize further imbalance, while staying active in lifting. I may log the injury recovery if time permits.

D

Dirk Diggler

VIP Member
May 22, 2013
Go see a neurologist. I have a sever pinched nerve in my neck C4-7 and T1 are severe and cause me tingling and numbness in my R arm, hand, chest and back. PT and chiro are the first treatment, second will be cortisone injection via MRI and then last, surgery. If I remember correctly, thoracic outlet syndrome is a compressed root nerve outlet, very similar to what's going on in my neck. Go see your PCP and get a referral to a neuro doc.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Spent a lot of time around high level baseball and this can be debilitating. Good luck to you. I hope you figure out a treatment.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic