Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

thinking of trying PL style training... input needed.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Ok, those who know me, know my training has been the likes of BBing type, mucho reps and sets. I have been thinking of trying something different along the lines of PL style, lower reps more weight? My biggest concern is, will I be able to still make gains? I know it won't be max hypertrophy, but whatever. My training days are limited to 3 days a week right now, fri sat sun. Feel free to throw out some programs, ideas or suggestions, thanks.

(I go to a commercial gym, so equipment might be limited for PL stuff. We have 2 squat platforms, 1 squat rack, trap bar, to give u a idea. No bands or chains.)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Friday Pull, Sat Push, Sun Legs

Friday: Deadlift + assisting lifts ie. RDL, good morning, bent over row, pull ups, etc,

Saturday: Bench + assisting ie. push press, strict press, z-press, floor press, cgbp, weighted dips, etc.,

Sunday: Back Squat + assisting ie. front squat, lunge, SLDL, leg curl, etc

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012

Friday: Deadlift + assisting lifts ie. RDL, good morning, bent over row, pull ups, etc,

Saturday: Bench + assisting ie. push press, strict press, z-press, floor press, cgbp, weighted dips, etc.,

BI, what kind of reps/sets are you thinking.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
BI, what kind of reps/sets are you thinking.

I'm a fan of heavy, light, heavy, repeating... I'd also make the 4th week a deload week meaning lighter then the normal light week.

Heavy weeks for the big 3 (deadlift, bench, back squat), I'd make it 6 sets of 3 reps (working sets). Light weeks I'd make it 3 sets of 5+ reps (working sets).

For the assisting lifts, I'd go 5x5 on the big lifts (multi joint compound lifts) and 3x10 on the smaller stuff.

Rest up on the main lifts (3-5min) and for the assisting (1:30-2:30min).

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have a handful of clients that have always been and always will be bodybuilders.

I don't exactly train them for powerlifting but my own philosophy is that if you get stronger first then the size will come.

Take a look at some of the logs. Start with Go Away, Bullmuscle and Halo.

Pay attention especially to Go Away. He shows you what percent of his 1rm he uses for SBD and every accessory rep he does.

After reading that you will clearly see that using a strength program will absolutely make you bigger both short and long term.

I put it like this... who is going to have a thicker back. The guy that pulls 500 to 600 for repetition and whose max steadily climbs or the guy who year after year is pulling 315 for 10.

One guy I am working with now is 260 and about 15% on a bulk right now. He is also 51 and has been training since I was shitting in a diaper. He started with me about 10 weeks ago. Says he has never gotten comments from people like this. He is thicker and more full looking, stayed leaner on this bulk and is vascular even at 15%. Truth be told he still has 4 abs showing I don't think he is 15% but he insists he is lol...

PL DOESN'T MAKE YOU FAT.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I've ran the Cube Method.. Didn't progress like I think I should have been. I have also ran 5/3/1.. I liked 5/3/1 better.

What I have been doing lately is a Mix of 5/3/1 and DC training. Have been making good gains with it.

But as I say that. I am too looking for a new PL program myself.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Ok, those who know me, know my training has been the likes of BBing type, mucho reps and sets. I have been thinking of trying something different along the lines of PL style, lower reps more weight? My biggest concern is, will I be able to still make gains? I know it won't be max hypertrophy, but whatever. My training days are limited to 3 days a week right now, fri sat sun. Feel free to throw out some programs, ideas or suggestions, thanks.

(I go to a commercial gym, so equipment might be limited for PL stuff. We have 2 squat platforms, 1 squat rack, trap bar, to give u a idea. No bands or chains.)

I've ran the Cube Method.. Didn't progress like I think I should have been. I have also ran 5/3/1.. I liked 5/3/1 better.

What I have been doing lately is a Mix of 5/3/1 and DC training. Have been making good gains with it.

But as I say that. I am too looking for a new PL program myself.

Why don't you two try a POB program?

Cost is inexpensive.

I am making the best gains ever on mine. I'm freaking elated!!!

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Why don't you two try a POB program?

Cost is inexpensive.

I am making the best gains ever on mine. I'm freaking elated!!!

I really wish I could.. I can't afford anything extra right now.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I really wish I could.. I can't afford anything extra right now.

If you're making good gains off your own creation why change it? Don't change it if you're still making progress on it.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
If you're making good gains off your own creation why change it? Don't change it if you're still making progress on it.

Oh I know, Not changing.. Just yet.. Just would like something that would focus more on my BIG 3.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oh I know, Not changing.. Just yet.. Just would like something that would focus more on my BIG 3.

What percentage of your training is the main lifts and what percent is assisting lifts? WSBB says it should be 70% assisting and 30% main. Your assisting lifts fix your weaknesses so your main lifts keep going up and up in number.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012

BI, are shoulders incorporated into Saturday pushing session?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic