Ethan7400
What's New?

The wolf pack journal

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Great week man!

Your journal is full of details, its great!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Wolfy thats damn impressive! Those are great weights and you are going dep on your squat. Bustin ass! Great Day Bro!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Excellent reminder. I'm using a program created by Pavel Tsatsouline (sp). I also use a program I developed over the past 12 years that I used when I was fighting. I call it the core lifts program.

The pavel program is:

do cardio for warm up.
you first lift starts 5 or 10 lbs heavier than your last 3RM
If you can't get it go to your 3RM
each day add five or 10 pounds then on the 9th day ratchet back to 80% of what you lifted on day 8. Now repeat the process for as long as you can keep it up.
In this program you only do deads, squats, and bench and you do them every day.
If you want to add size then after you hit your 3 RM then you go back to 70% and do as many sets of 5 reps as you can with 1 minute rest period.

The core lifts program:

each day represents a lift not a body part.
Monday squats: do several sets of 3RM
once you're done with squats pick 6 or 7 exercises that support squats such as box jumps, leg press, lunges, etc and do 3 sets of 6-8.

Tuesday do the same thing with Bench
Wednesday do the same thing with Deads
Thursday rest

Friday do all three lifts per the pavel routine.

I think I'm stalling mainly because I'm trying to push to fast with weight I've never worked with before. I'll slow down and try to do the program stricter. Should help. Will also need to increase my rest period with some of these weights to maximize strength. Also need to slow my ego down and stop trying to get a PR every time I lift. thus I must strike a balance between hardcore motivation and leaving my ego at the door.

I workout at a gym with a bunch of college football players and sometimes the desire to keep up with people 20 years younger than me with far fewer injuries over-rides my good sense.

I'm still happy with gains I just need to settle down a little.

Wolf

My .02. You are stalling because it looks like you are trying to either match or beat a PR every session. This is the pitfall of all linear progression programs. This is 5x5 with accessory work. You open to trying something different?

T

thewolf

Jul 22, 2014
Pillar,

Whatcha got in mind? I'm always open to feedback and new learning.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Pillar,

Whatcha got in mind? I'm always open to feedback and new learning.

You can customize it any way you would like but it follows a similar template to what you are doing. Would look something like this:

Monday
Squat - 70%
Accessories

Wednesday
Bench - max effort
Light accessories

Friday
Deadlift - 80%
Accessories

Take a look at the prilopen chart to determine your optimal sets and reps and just fill that in according to the days percentages. On max effort days work up to a max effort double or single (I prefer doubles).

Each week you rotate the percentages for the lift between 70 80 and ME.

Accessories are whatever you feel you need. But focus on beating the hell out of the posterior chain.

On a program like this you almost never need a deload. If you feel like you do on the 70% day just drop to 60% and work on speed.

See if you can put together a 3 week wave using that and I will take a look. You will get steady progress and there is no wall to hit because you work optimally not maximally. Mostly sub-PR weights.

You can even swap out your main lifts. Say after 3 weeks of flat bench the wave is done. The next wave instead of bench you can do OHP. Even without benching if you improve your OHP your bench WILL go up.

T

thewolf

Jul 22, 2014
Pillar,

What do you do on Tuesdays and Thursdays?
or can you treat it as a day 1, off day, day 2, off day, day 3 type of rotation?

Darrin

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Pillar,

What do you do on Tuesdays and Thursdays?
or can you treat it as a day 1, off day, day 2, off day, day 3 type of rotation?

Darrin

Sit on my ass and eat poptarts and frozen yogurt. I train 3x per week. My training maxes 550 squat (and I think I am low balling that) 390 bench and 620 deadlift. Training more than three days wouldn't really be a good idea. I wouldn't want to get out of bed ever. You could do an optional 4th day for lightweight bodybuilding stuff but I am not driving 40 min to do some curls and side raises. Because frankly, with my accessory work that I do I get plenty of muscle growth.

Suppose I should give you some example accessory stuff.

For bench days I bench for whatever the program calls for. After that I will do:

Floor press
3 sets x 5 to 7 reps
Barbell rows
3 sets 5 to 7 reps
Hammer strength row machine
4 sets x 10 to 15 reps
Straight arm pushdowns
2 sets of 20 reps
Skull crushers
2 sets 10 to 15 reps
Band pushdowns
2 sets amrap

Move fast thru the accessories. One minute rests. I usually train with just one other guy when not near a meet so we usually just take rest while the other does his set then jump back in.

T

thewolf

Jul 22, 2014
Interesting,

this is very similar training to the system I used when I was fighting (not a very good fighter but was in extremely good shape).

sorry to sound like a total bonehead but what is the prilopen chart?

Darrin

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
You are not a bone head. I didn't know either.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting,

this is very similar training to the system I used when I was fighting (not a very good fighter but was in extremely good shape).

sorry to sound like a total bonehead but what is the prilopen chart?

Darrin

I will make a post here later explaining the chart. But essentially it was created by an old Olympic weightlifting coach from the soviets. Bulgarian I think?

You would use this chart to determine the proper number of sets/reps to perform for optimal stress. Too much stress and you over train and slide backwards. Not enough and you don't progress...

So if you read my log you will see I am peaking for a meet. I am doing retarded reps for the last few weeks. Friday I pulled 455 for 3 sets of 8 at 75% or something. Rather than doing 8 reps I could have done 4 sets of 6 reps. Or 6 sets of 4. So long as I get those 24 reps in at that percentage I receive optimal training stimulus.

For now just google it and you will see it.

T

thewolf

Jul 22, 2014
Prilepin chart

prilepin chart.jpg

I like this quite abit. I would guess Pavel got his information from this.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This is cool!
Thank you for posting Wolfy!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic