pbtom
What's New?

The Right Arm

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
For me, it is my dominant arm, the right one.

4 weeks post bodybuilding competition, I was doing a push workout. I maxed out on db flat bench presses and even my coach said i had good form.
But later that night at home, i had a itch in my bicep/armpit area and i really dug in or something and it hurt really, really bad. Then another day went on and thought maybe i pulled my bicep, but no bruising or lumps in the area. It was really weird and would only act up on certain movements. So i didn't do any bicep/chest movements just in case.
Was able to get into my shoulder doc (he was the one that did my RC repair 3 years ago), and he checked me out and said he thinks it might have been a pulled pec muscle actually. Based upon the movements he had me do in his office. He said my bicep was fine. I asked him, isn't it torn when he did the RC repair, he said yes and that all he did was shave it/clean it up when he was in there. He said he didn't want to snip it.
When i was telling him what i did that day, i told him it was a workout. He asked what was i pushing like 20-25lbs? I told him that day i went up to 45# db. He said i shouldn't go that heavy and take it easy.

So i took about 2 weeks off actually. I did some light push movements this passed Saturday and did not go heavy. Whew. Everything felt fine and warmed up really good before the workout too.

I still don't know what it was, but whatever i took it easy and layed off heavy shit just in case.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . He asked what was i pushing like 20-25lbs? I told him that day i went up to 45# db. He said i shouldn't go that heavy and take it easy . . .

So is that his long term advice, or just intended for now? Could Gung Ho Bova adjust to a more conservative long term training style, or would that be hard to follow?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
So is that his long term advice, or just intended for now? Could Gung Ho Bova adjust to a more conservative long term training style, or would that be hard to follow?

I think that was his short term advice. He thinks i just strained the pec a bit.

Did another push workout last night and felt good. Went up to 35# on flat db, no problem. But then again, it was no problem when i did it before. The issue was that i dug into my muscle with my finger LOL later that evening.
So will take a short term conservative approach to ensure all heals well. Then go gung ho LOL.

Not saying a conservative approach would be hard to follow at all. If conservative long term is what it ends up being so be it. As long as i get to continue to lift, i'll take what i can get LOL. I'm on the backside of my time here on earth, only have one body.

@FlyingDragon , sure i'll send a pec pic. I'll get right on it LOL.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I think that was his short term advice. He thinks i just strained the pec a bit.

Did another push workout last night and felt good. Went up to 35# on flat db, no problem. But then again, it was no problem when i did it before. The issue was that i dug into my muscle with my finger LOL later that evening.
So will take a short term conservative approach to ensure all heals well. Then go gung ho LOL.

Not saying a conservative approach would be hard to follow at all. If conservative long term is what it ends up being so be it. As long as i get to continue to lift, i'll take what i can get LOL. I'm on the backside of my time here on earth, only have one body.

@FlyingDragon , sure i'll send a pec pic. I'll get right on it LOL.

Pretty sure we can both predict what you-know-who will want pics of next.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
You may want to ice the area after your push workouts.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Nothing wrong with going lighter. I'm 50ish, still growing and do absolutely nothing heavy. But, I'm in a spot where I can't do anything heavy and haven't been able to in a few years. I have too many things wrong with me but you wouldn't know it to look at me.

I don't even count most of my shit anymore. I do if I'm doing one side of a body part at a time. I'm pretty much extreme opposite on the weight scale. It's not always a bunch of reps, lots of ways to slow the reps down and concentrate.

I wish you the best in staying healthy but if it continues, lighter weight will not make a difference. You know what it feels like when your muscles are torn down properly. You just get them there with lighter weight. Your body will also thank you as the years pass, lol

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Nothing wrong with going lighter. I'm 50ish, still growing and do absolutely nothing heavy. But, I'm in a spot where I can't do anything heavy and haven't been able to in a few years. I have too many things wrong with me but you wouldn't know it to look at me.

I don't even count most of my shit anymore. I do if I'm doing one side of a body part at a time. I'm pretty much extreme opposite on the weight scale. It's not always a bunch of reps, lots of ways to slow the reps down and concentrate.

I wish you the best in staying healthy but if it continues, lighter weight will not make a difference. You know what it feels like when your muscles are torn down properly. You just get them there with lighter weight. Your body will also thank you as the years pass, lol
And don't forget about the good ole fast/slow twitch fibers. If you've been training heavy forever your fast twitch are prob maxed out. You switch to light weight high reps and boom, new growth occurs in the slow twitch arena.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
And don't forget about the good ole fast/slow twitch fibers. If you've been training heavy forever your fast twitch are prob maxed out. You switch to light weight high reps and boom, new growth occurs in the slow twitch arena.
Ya, heavy's not an option for me anymore. I guess you could say I think one dimensional on it, lol

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Ya, heavy's not an option for me anymore. I guess you could say I think one dimensional on it, lol

Same here. Hardest part was accepting that I could no longer lift heavy and making the necessary training adjustments.
I kept trying to go back to the old way of training and kept getting injured and kept asking myself why. lol

Reactions: HDH
HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Same here. Hardest part was accepting that I could no longer lift heavy and making the necessary training adjustments.
I kept trying to go back to the old way of training and kept getting injured and kept asking myself why. lol
Ya, I actually started with my shoulders then lower back issues. After changing over and seeing the results I ended up switching the whole routine over in a couple years time.

LosaHilly

LosaHilly

Aug 4, 2022
Hi! I didn't know about it, thank you very much for the information :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic