Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

The Program

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
Messed up my shoulder a few years back and finally think it can handle westside training. Have done extensive re/prehab work that have strengthen it only to go back to certain exercises that completely wrecked any progress. Reason I opted not to go under the knife was about a year earlier had surgery on my knee and lack of recovery has led me to give the shoulder every opportunity to heal on its own. Have learned several movements I just can't do anymore, two of them were my strengths shoulder press and pullups.
Embarking on this training going to be constantly evaluating how the shoulder is responding to a few new movement but also the effects speed work.
First time out I didn't work with set numbers but warmed up and just added weight looking for what numbers to use while maintaining form and completing the exercise correctly.

Today DE Bench
Bar x 15 x 2s
95 x 10
95 + bands(85lbs) x 3r
115 + bands x 3 x 8

Incline Press 75-80 degree angle
95 x 7
125 x 7
145 x 7

CGB
155 x 8
175 x 10 too focused on form mess up on reps
195 x 8

BOR's
185 x 10 x 3s

Next session need to increase speed wk add 10lbs.
Incline Press Start @ 125 and work up to 165
CGB go 175,195,205
BOR 195x10r

Couldnt believe the pump off the Speed work. 60 sec rest
Incline press first set messed up and did explosively the other two took a page out of GVT tempo.
CGB GVT tempo 60sec rest
BOR's Same approach.

The only exercise that gave me pause was the Incline press shoulder was a bit strained by this movement. Hope I can keep it may alter the weight/reps here. Think maybe more weight less reps, will keep record and see.

Last edited:
Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
Squat ME
Bar + Bands, All sets 100+lbs band tension
165 x 3
205 x 3
235 x 3
255 x 3
275 x 3

Front Squats agt
155 x 8 x 3

Leg Curls GVT tempo
170 x 10
180 x 10 x 2s

GHR's
12,10 light band, 10 red band. Ironwoody type

Incline Sit-ups
10r x 3s focus was tempo, roughly 1 minute to complete a set.

This week searching for proper weights rather than using the percentages off 1rm next week will use static weight for sets.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Great job. Slow and steady....wait...wtf am I saying? Me telling someone to take it slow and steady. Ok. Carry on. Lol.

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
lmao Finally, that thought entered your head apparently you just wanted to get it the hell out of there. haha

Core is SORE today. Did Kardio Interval Fartlek style, 25 mins. Maj Leg bloat, Pants are stretched.
Looking forward to Benching tomorrow, wrestling about continuing raw or slipping gear on and playing with some more weight. Will stay raw for now but the shirt/weights are calling.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Yeah Hawk you shouldn't even be allowed to say those words in a sentence LOL... Way to go Excessive!!! Keep it up brother!

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
lmao

I think its that Galactic alinement thing. They're saying weird stuff is suppose to happen, I'd say it just did. Good for another few thousand years again. Glad that's over with.

USMCRabi

USMCRabi

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
What did you do to your shoulder that required surgery?

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
First off Thank You for your Service, without that none of us would be spending some of our free time in such pursuits.

In regards to surgery I had that was my knee. Tore the Patallar tendon initially went to the doctor Q & A led him to give me a cortisone shot he didn't think it was torn. Kept squatting heavy till the pain was all the time not just under load. Climbed in the car to go somewhere and it was just pounding. This precipitated me going back to the DR, he gave me a guilt trip ordered the MRI and by now it was Patallar, meniscus, and the micro fibers were a mess. After the surgery before I was up one of the things Dr told my wife was my Patallar tendon was substantially thicker on both sides of the tear.
Gave you this background first for frame of reference to my ability to distinguish normal pain from an injury. Haven't had an mri on my shoulder but I can't throw a ball without messing it up, use to pitch and could bring good heat. No overhead arm movement without the same affect. As stated above Pullups were my strength best was 58 reps @ a bw around 235. Now I can do 20ish at any given time but it will trash my shoulder also sounds horrible.
I still have the power but with pain but it always leads to completely taking away all the progress I've made and leaving the shoulder in a lot of pain.
Labrum tear rear wouldn't surprise me if either most of the ligament is gone now. Its been torn more, several times actually before I learned this wasn't something that was going to heal itself. I actually heard/felt it pop more doing heavy weighted pull ups.
As far as putting my finger on what did it now I would be guessing, what I recall was doing seated DB presses with somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 to 105dbs( not sure which set it happened on) believe it happened when I was kicking them up into pressing position felt a pop.
Sorry for the lengthy reply.
I will say this year having stayed away from most everything that aggravates it I find the shoulder is the strongest its ever been with the least amount of pain.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
lmao Finally, that thought entered your head apparently you just wanted to get it the hell out of there. haha

Core is SORE today. Did Kardio Interval Fartlek style, 25 mins. Maj Leg bloat, Pants are stretched.
Looking forward to Benching tomorrow, wrestling about continuing raw or slipping gear on and playing with some more weight. Will stay raw for now but the shirt/weights are calling.

I think if you want to stay healthy with the shoulder and continue to make gains, gear would prob be the way to go....do a training cycle with gear and then you can always go back to raw. Have fun. The key is training should be enjoyed or you should have fun. I'm not saying it shouldn't kick your ass, but have fun. Enjoy it. So do whatever you enjoy.

USMCRabi

USMCRabi

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
First off Thank You for your Service, without that none of us would be spending some of our free time in such pursuits.

In regards to surgery I had that was my knee. Tore the Patallar tendon initially went to the doctor Q & A led him to give me a cortisone shot he didn't think it was torn. Kept squatting heavy till the pain was all the time not just under load. Climbed in the car to go somewhere and it was just pounding. This precipitated me going back to the DR, he gave me a guilt trip ordered the MRI and by now it was Patallar, meniscus, and the micro fibers were a mess. After the surgery before I was up one of the things Dr told my wife was my Patallar tendon was substantially thicker on both sides of the tear.
Gave you this background first for frame of reference to my ability to distinguish normal pain from an injury. Haven't had an mri on my shoulder but I can't throw a ball without messing it up, use to pitch and could bring good heat. No overhead arm movement without the same affect. As stated above Pullups were my strength best was 58 reps @ a bw around 235. Now I can do 20ish at any given time but it will trash my shoulder also sounds horrible.
I still have the power but with pain but it always leads to completely taking away all the progress I've made and leaving the shoulder in a lot of pain.
Labrum tear rear wouldn't surprise me if either most of the ligament is gone now. Its been torn more, several times actually before I learned this wasn't something that was going to heal itself. I actually heard/felt it pop more doing heavy weighted pull ups.
As far as putting my finger on what did it now I would be guessing, what I recall was doing seated DB presses with somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 to 105dbs( not sure which set it happened on) believe it happened when I was kicking them up into pressing position felt a pop.
Sorry for the lengthy reply.
I will say this year having stayed away from most everything that aggravates it I find the shoulder is the strongest its ever been with the least amount of pain.

Dam, that sucks.. I tore my right labrum about 5 years ago playing baseball. Took 3 surgerys to fix. About a month ago after getting an MRI on the left shoulded do to pain just found out i have a torn labrum in the back of my shoulder witb fluid leaking out causing a cyst. I am trying to hold off on the surgery as long as i can. Dont want to be out the gym 6+ months.. just limited to some movements. Injuries suck..

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
USMCRabi is good dude....

Nice start back, Take it easy and listen to your shoulder and your should be good.

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
Bench ME
Bar x 14
95 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 3
235 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

CG Rev Band Bench 4/0/2/0
265 x 6, 6, 5

DB Flats 4/0/2/0
75's x 8
85's x 8, 8

Push Downs/ Giant set, three different hand positions Near 30 reps.

Glad I chose to start light. No explosiveness off the chest, bar accelerated all the way up once it was off the bottom.
Might need to do some pause work will wait and see if my cns comes back first. Next week will up the percentages about 4%.
Good training session.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic