Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

The Old Mans Training Log

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Taking tonight off, this is my long week, so I work out MT TFS. Chest and back day went good, still just working back into the grove of thing.
Im a little disappointed, I have been eating clean, low carbs, high protien, lots of water, but my weight is still 271 from 274 3 weeks ago. The reason I think this is not much is cause my weight can shift 5 lbs between breakfast and when I go to bed. So its not an improvement.

Im finally going to the Chiro tonight to put my hip plate back, and see if he can help out, some of my sore spots.

Does anyone here use massage, where it looks like they are killing you, does it help. Seriously... ?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Keep in mind that carb consumption has nothing to do with weight loss. Neither does eating clean if such a thing even exists.

Rule 1 on weight loss is simply eating in a deficit. When you and I get to work I will sort all that out for you. From there you just read labels and measure out your portions. Doesn't matter what you eat. Just don't go over your allowance.

As for massage yes it can help. A good deep tissue massage will stimulate blood flow to promote healing and will push cellular debris into the lymphatic system for removal.

However it's a passive recovery tool. Active recovery works much better. Essentially this means using movement to restore the body. Tight hamstrings causing knee or hip pain? Light weight single leg Romanian Deadlift with a kettlebell for a bunch of reps will lengthen them and make the fascia more pliable. Just one example.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I have been trying to stretch out my lower back, butt, hamstrings, IT Bands, hip flexes. They have always been very tight, and get in the way of normal work. I cant sit Indian style, with legs crossed. This is one of the things we need to get sorted out.

Ill PM you tomorrow to see what we can get started.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
So I tried something new for me last night

Dead lifts 5x7 worked up to 285lbs
Bent Barbell Rows 5x5
pull ups 5xfailure
barbel shrugs 5x5

Normal back day looks like this:
Wide pulls ups
T bar rows
narrow pull ups
DB Rows
Seated cable rows
cable pull overs.

Felt good, later in the evening my back felt hot, almost like I had a fever but I did nt. I got done in an hour, and did not have to wait for equipment.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Massage is pretty useful if you can find a reputable sport-minded therapist that's skilled at deep tissue work. I haven't had any for a while now, but when I was competing regularly I'd get one on a monthly basis and it definitely helped.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Chest and tris last night...

pull overs 3x15
dips 3x12
incline bench 4x8
flat bench 4x10
cable flies 3x15
db flies 3x10

Narrow grip bench 4x10
Rope extensions 4x8
kick backs 4x10

Thanks to "shorts" Im not so worried about my eating, just making sure I get enough calories in, so my training goes great,

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Working on my diet some more, I got some help from PoB. We set my calories at 2750 a day, and a break down of macros like this Protein 24%, Fat 83%, Carb 49%. yesterday I went a little over board trying to fit the macros in, but I'm at 2876 calories for the day, 41% carbs, 29% fat, 30% protein. Seems Im close the the goals. Just have a little more tweaking to do, to see if I can get them closer.

PoB has also worked up a program for me to follow for the 15 weeks. Should put us about the begging of December. This will be my first run in with a true power lifting program. Everything else has been bodybuilding, stuff accumulated over the years. I'm actually excited about it. I'm hoping to put on a crap load of size and strength in the next few weeks.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015

Here is just to log current status. I dont know why its sideways but its me at 274lbs. Ill take another on Sepember 18 and October 18. just to see if there is any changes.Mybe in 3 months Ill be close to having abs... lol

Fixed it...

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Wave 1, Week 1, Day 1

Competition Deadlift 15x2 335lbs
Double Pause Bench 5x5 275lbs
Pause Dead to Knee 1x5 275 lbs
Fatigue Drop 10% 4x5 225 lbs

So this was my first shot at the program with POB. Wouldn't you know it I screwed it up... lol I stared my Dead lifts with the bar and 2 45lbs plates and started repping out and adding plates. Well I added to much at a time and at my 7th set, I was at 335lbs. Shit I still have 8 more sets and I was @9 already. So I dropped the weight back down to 275 lbs and finished my reps. This effected both dead to knee and fatigue drop numbers.

Food intake

I'm on 2750 calories, 49% carbs, 33% fat, 24% Protein. I am tracking this with Fitnesspal, so my Actual s were 2657 calories for the day 36% carbs, 36% fat, and 28% protein. I got to get my carbs up some more. I'm so not use to eating carbs lol.

My Thoughts

Ill tell you this much I worked my ass off last night, sweating like a pig, and went home totally wiped out. I have not worked that hard in quiet some time.
I got home to discover a new washer dryer set setting in my driveway. Fuck I forgot all about that. Had some dinner and swapped out the new set for the old set. Made food for today, and hit the sack and passed right out.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can be easy to overshoot. So say 335 is about your working weight. Here is how to warm up

135 x 5, 5, 5 until your joints are warm
185 x 2
225 x 2
265 x 2
305 x 2
335 x 2 x 15

Basically you need to work up performing the number of reps called for in the top sets. In this case doubles.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Ok cool thanks, also how long should I take off between working days. ?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok cool thanks, also how long should I take off between working days. ?

Monday Wednesday Friday is the typical schedule. A day break is usually enough. You will never be 100% on any training day. That's kind of the point. There is always some level of fatigue.

Essentially my job is managing your fatigue.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic