Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

the mental aspect of training heavy

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
It's a messed up thing to do. Unrack a heavy back squat. The weight literally sitting on your CNS. The mind starts to freak out like hey man wtf is this... we don't have to do this man just put it down... please don't do this. Then your decent... that's the point you have taken almost total control.

It's remarkable to watch breakdown in technique too. It's that same cns in action. Trying to shift the stress from weaker areas to stronger ones. Passing the stress back and forth between muscle groups in less than the blink of an eye.

I love this shit.
Damn, this says it all. I sometimes wonder if you experience lifters get inured to heavy lifting over time. I'm just two years into lifting heavy, and I still can't believe what I have done or am doing. When I have that barbell on my back, I have to remind myself that its based on past experience, that I can indeed come out of the hole despite the fact that it's really heavy ass weight. Because it doesn't matter if it's 280 or 325+ ... it just feels freakin' heavy to me.
It's like repeatedly dialing up that "fight or flight" survival instinct over and over again.
I am a wreck on meet day. Other guys have mastered that mental piece.
At the local/regional meets, I just rely on the confidence of the weeks of training leading up to the meet. So while people are nervous, I'm usually cracking jokes and trying to boost people's spirits.

But I became a POB-like head case at the Arnold. Being around 3-5 elite-type lifters at my local meets was the norm, and I can handle that with no problem. But at the Arnold, where every single person was not only an elite lifter, but they all looked freakin' strong. My mental game folded like origami. Man, I hope to get a redemption attempt at a national meet like that someday.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Really big weights are an absolute mind game.

I talked to Donnie Thompson about this a few months back. I mentioned that when I first started benching in the 800 range my body took a while to adapt to it after my muscles were physically strong enough to handle the weight.
So, for a while, every set over 800 I'd feel like my forearm bones were flexing and going to break...... Donnie said that he's gotten that too. On his 1300 squat attempt he could feel his femurs flexing. THAT'S a mind game!

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010

I talked to Donnie Thompson about this a few months back. I mentioned that when I first started benching in the 800 range my body took a while to adapt to it after my muscles were physically strong enough to handle the weight.
So, for a while, every set over 800 I'd feel like my forearm bones were flexing and going to break...... Donnie said that he's gotten that too. On his 1300 squat attempt he could feel his femurs flexing. THAT'S a mind game!

wow intense. it already a mind **** to see the bar bend, but have your bones bend and flex under the weight it just unreal..not for me haha.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
wow intense. it already a mind **** to see the bar bend, but have your bones bend and flex under the weight it just unreal..not for me haha.

Me either. Im not where near those numbers so i safe.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A shit bar which is common at all commercial gyms will begin to bend at 405.

I was always a fan of the saying... "If the bar aint bending, you're just pretending."

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Holy crap .... lol

While I sometimes publically lament that I'm not built to lift really heavy weight, if I it meant experiencing anything like your forearms or Donnie's femurs, then I wouldn't even try.

Allrippedup

Allrippedup

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2012
lol... I know the feeling...mine is always like... "aahhhh fuk... here we go again... THIS motherfuker thinks he's Hercules or something... OK guys... you know the routine... PUSH!!!!! PUSH!!!!!!! PUSH MOTHERFUKERS!!!!! PUSSSHHHHH!!!!... Good set!...I fuking hate this guy"
LOL! So true! You only go around this block once pal, so...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Holy crap .... lol

While I sometimes publically lament that I'm not built to lift really heavy weight, if I it meant experiencing anything like your forearms or Donnie's femurs, then I wouldn't even try.

Chris, give Clay enough time and trust and you'll be a terrifying 148-er. Seriously. I think 600 @ 148 is totally possible for you.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Heavy weights are definitely a mind game for me. A year ago I struggled with my first 495 squats, got a bloody nose and one of my eyes was blurry for about an hour afterward. Now, a year later, 495 is light weight for me and 565 (nearly my 1rm) doesn't feel nearly as heavy to me today as 495 did a year ago!

As for hurting joints and bones, they always hurt as I approach my 1rm, but again, the pain is less now than a year or two ago at lighter weights.
PillarofBalance I like your description of UHC competing versus you competing. I was never a sports guy, but I am lucky to get into a zone when training and at competition. Maybe it's because I'm doing this for fun and I don't have a lot at stake -- so if I fail, I fail . . .

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
I have to just get mad at it an have some music blasting especially for squats or bench thinking about holding 550 plus in your hands over your face is a little disconcerting . squats I have to try to make myself forget that many different outcomes are possible during this lift most of them are ****ed. that's why I hope I never have a squat injury I almost think it would be harder to come back mentally

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014

Revisiting this: using heavy weight is so different!!! It's shocking to the body but wow... I'm starting to love it!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic