Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

the mental aspect of training heavy

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I just want to preface this by saying....i am in no way a powerlifter or strong man. I gave that upany moons ago. Now with that said, the last 4 weeks i have made an effort to try and train heavier after years of not doing so. I the first week was terrible, everything felt so heavy and slow. Now with the committment 4 weeks in everything feels remarkably better. The body is adjusting to hea ier weight and.....most importantly, the mind has committed to the heavier training. I forgot just how mentally prepared one had to be to train heavier. Hats off to all you guys and gals that do so on a consistant basis. Back to my hiit/ xfit workouts next week.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol I'm pretty sure we are a bit " off " to continue to lift heavy.
I'd have it no other way though.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
By training heavy, I assume u are doing lower reps?

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks Schultz! I'm moving towards heavier also!

I'm really liking it. Its a very different kind of shock. But I'm hungry for it after being repped to death for a year!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's a messed up thing to do. Unrack a heavy back squat. The weight literally sitting on your CNS. The mind starts to freak out like hey man wtf is this... we don't have to do this man just put it down... please don't do this. Then your decent... that's the point you have taken almost total control.

It's remarkable to watch breakdown in technique too. It's that same cns in action. Trying to shift the stress from weaker areas to stronger ones. Passing the stress back and forth between muscle groups in less than the blink of an eye.

I love this shit.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
By training heavy, I assume u are doing lower reps?

Correct. From doubles to 5's is the range. When heavy i prefer doubles and triples. 5's becomes cardio lol

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
It's a messed up thing to do. Unrack a heavy back squat. The weight literally sitting on your CNS. The mind starts to freak out like hey man wtf is this... we don't have to do this man just put it down... please don't do this. Then your decent... that's the point you have taken almost total control.It's remarkable to watch breakdown in technique too. It's that same cns in action. Trying to shift the stress from weaker areas to stronger ones. Passing the stress back and forth between muscle groups in less than the blink of an eye.I love this shit.
lol... I know the feeling...mine is always like... "aahhhh fuk... here we go again... THIS motherfuker thinks he's Hercules or something... OK guys... you know the routine... PUSH!!!!! PUSH!!!!!!! PUSH MOTHERFUKERS!!!!! PUSSSHHHHH!!!!... Good set!...I fuking hate this guy"

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
in reality... the most important part of working out is the mental strength... you have to see it in your head before you can achieve it... mind-muscle connection is very real, I know the first time I hit 405 on bench I focused for 4 days... literally... from friday to Monday... 405 was in my mind... when it was time... Down and up...DONE!......... On the flip side... I have been stressed and unfocused and not be able to hit 275 for 5... and just the week before do 365 for 5... the mind is where it all happens. Remember this, the mind will quit long before the body will.... there's still some gas in the tank... even when you "think" there isnt.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
in reality... the most important part of working out is the mental strength... you have to see it in your head before you can achieve it... mind-muscle connection is very real, I know the first time I hit 405 on bench I focused for 4 days... literally... from friday to Monday... 405 was in my mind... when it was time... Down and up...DONE!......... On the flip side... I have been stressed and unfocused and not be able to hit 275 for 5... and just the week before do 365 for 5... the mind is where it all happens. Remember this, the mind will quit long before the body will.... there's still some gas in the tank... even when you "think" there isnt.
Dead on. Watch me and rotten's posts a month out from competition. We get short tempered, anxious, nervous... because we are running thru the lifts in our heads over and over and over again.

I am a wreck on meet day. Other guys have mastered that mental piece. uphillclimb played competitive sports his whole life. So he is in his element at a meet. He can miss lifts in training and then come competition time just seems to pull it all together and **** shit up. Wish I had that piece mastered. In time I suppose.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Correct. From doubles to 5's is the range. When heavy i prefer doubles and triples. 5's becomes cardio lol
Same here lately. Doubles and triples on squats/DLs, 5 reps top on those movements... before my lower back took a shit again.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The metal focus aspect is very difficult to master like POB stated.

There are things you can do like perform reverse band and chain lifts to help build confidence but in the end it's up to the lifter.

One other thing I'd like to mention is.... just because someone hits a lift for 10, lets say 405 for 10 doesn't mean he/she will make 500. You lift it when you actually lift it. So hit those overload sets, train your CNS to fire off when it's really stressed, and build your confidence.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Dead on. Watch me and rotten's posts a month out from competition. We get short tempered, anxious, nervous... because we are running thru the lifts in our heads over and over and over again.

I am a wreck on meet day. Other guys have mastered that mental piece. @uphillclimb played competitive sports his whole life. So he is in his element at a meet. He can miss lifts in training and then come competition time just seems to pull it all together and **** shit up. Wish I had that piece mastered. In time I suppose.

Nothing else matters for me in those times. Big games, meets, presentations etc is where the A game comes out. Something I've always thrived on.

Thanks for for the shout out, I'll be back on the platform soon enough.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic