What's New?

The Jungle

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Great work bro!!!!

thanks bro

Nice benching today! 270 for 7 is a very respectable weight bro.

Only advice I might have is keep a good arch in the back so your weight is carried by your traps up top. Keep the shoulder blades pulled tight and try and line your heels up with your hips and then make like you're trying to drive your heels into the ground. Your whole body should be tight. If I walked by and kicked you there shouldn't be any jiggling around. Also if you widen your grip it will reduce the range of motion for your shoulders and allow for more weight.

If you want more info on this stuff lemme know.

thanks for the advice Pillar. i will try a better arch and the lining up of the heels for better leg drive next week. unfortunately i have to sacrifice larger weight in favor of safety as far as grip is concerned. my shoulders have never loved wide grip benchpress. i think this is a carryover from my brolifting start in the weight room. i used to bench with shoulders flared and a very wide grip(pointing finger just outside the ring).

so now i have adopted a slightly closer grip width. it involves using more triceps because of the longer ROM but my chest developed much faster and i have had less shoulder problems because of it. i was surprised that Wendler actually suggested the grip i use for pretty much the same reasons.

but like i said i will definitely be trying the better arch and paying more attention to that heel/hip alignment.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
5/3/1 Cycle 1
Week 1

Day 4- Squats

Low Bar Squats
w/u- 135x10, 185x8
w/s- 205x5, 235x5(vid), 270x7(PR)(vid)
**** hell yeah!!!! i went in expecting to have to grind 5 out! lol i thought i got 8 until i reviewed the vid. i have probably been able to do 270x7 before but i never have so it IS a PR :D

Hyperextensions- BWx20, BWx15, BWx15, 45x10, BWx16
Walking DB Lunges(weight x2)- 30x15, 30x13, 30x11
Hanging Leg Raises- BWx1
**** lmao i couldn't hold on the the big rubber coated handles on the cable machine(grip is still shot to shit from yesterday!) so leg raises were out. i did some sit-ups after this with feet supported but i lost count around 30 or so. would guess i did around 50-60. Hyperextensions annihilated lower back. the walking lunges were the pride of the assistance exercises tonight though. they were nice controlled and i made a conscious effort to feel the quads doing work. all 3 sets of those are probably PRs as well but not really concerned with numbers on that exercise as long as the progress is on track

The Vid:

video was only 1:30ish after combining and clipping so no cool music tonight :p

Last edited by a moderator:
400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Cycle 1 Week 1 summary

decided i would do a little summary just to keep a running record of what i learned each week from this program.

OH Press= suckage :D

Deadlift= meh not bad for first session of deads in a while.

Benchpress= found the grip i need to use. on POB's advice i am going to try a little more arch to the back and better heel/hip alignment to see if i can get better leg drive a maybe some more reps out of next weeks session

Squat= fixed a bunch of issues i noticed i had and on some advice from deadweight. made sure to break at the hips first every rep and concentrated more on hip drive. form improved, strength was much better as a result(i barely got 3 reps last session with 275) and set a rep PR. all in all a great week for squats lol.

Tire Flips: love them lol. cant wait to hit them up tomorrow with hopefully better form and explosiveness

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
5/3/1 Cycle 1

Week 2- 3x3

Day 1- Press

Press
w/u
45x10
95x8

w/s
125x3
145x3
160x6(vid)

OH Single DB Press
60x10
70x6
70x8(vid)
80x5
60x6 drop set to 40x6

Wide Grip Pull-ups
BWx10
BWx6
BWx6(vid)
BWx4
BWx4

EZ Bar Skullcrushers
65x12
70x10
75x8

EZ Bar Curls
65x10
75x8
65x8
55x10 drop set to 35x12

Lessons Learned
Press went much better than i figured it would. i had to tighten the belt down another "hole" to compensate for 20 lost pounds. not sure why i hadn't done this before now. 160x6 is not a PR but pretty soon i will be getting into rep PR territory if i can get 6+ next week.
DB Press- would like some feedback from you guys if you think i am doing these right as stance and lean go.
Pullups, skulls, and curls went about the way i like them too. although i wouldnt mind adding some more reps to those pullups

Edit: almost forgot the video lol

not sure why the barbell is so uneven in the vid. it didn't feel like it was

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Solid workouts bro. When you say single db press do you mean one arm at a time? Can't see vid on iphone.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Solid workouts bro. When you say single db press do you mean one arm at a time? Can't see vid on iphone.

thanks II, yeah it is one at a time. i found it was the easiest way to do them standing

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
thanks II, yeah it is one at a time. i found it was the easiest way to do them standing

Got to watch the vid on my laptop. Nice job. I'll have to try the one-handers.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Got to watch the vid on my laptop. Nice job. I'll have to try the one-handers.

they cut down rest time a little. plus it plays hell with the obliques and abs trying to keep the heavier ones balanced. more emphasis on the obliques obviously

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
5/3/1 Cycle 1
Week 1

Day 2- Deadlift :D

Deadlift
135x10
225x8
310x3
350x3
395x5
***every set but the last one was double overhand grip. on the last one i needed to use mixed grip for the last 3 reps. i also used a belt for all 3 working sets. mostly to figure out how to deadlift in a belt lol. i will do all my working sets with a belt from now on. felt good and it ave me a VERY CONSTANT reminder not to round low back.

Glute/Ham Raises
BWx6
BWx2

Leg Curls
115x12
115x12
115x12
115x10

Walking DB Lunges
30x12
30x10
30x10

Trap Bar Farmer's Walk
345x40ish yards

Ab Wheel
BWx22

NOTES
Deadlifts went a hell of a lot better than last week. i think i am getting back into the swing of these.
GHRs- first time attempting these with a GHR bench(or whatever it's called). these fucked up the hammies.
Leg Curls- good as always
Lunges- my heart was not into these tonight. pretty much just going through the motions
TBF Walk- i found out my trap bar weighs 75 pounds lol. so what i thought was just 315 ended up being 345. i threw a set in just to see how it felt. i had to walk about 15 yards turn around and walk another 25 yards back. i like these.... i need to find somewhere else to do them but i definitely like them.
Ab wheel- hurt pretty good. also the most reps i have ever done in one set.

sorry no vids today. i accidentally let my phone/MP3/camera die so i didnt even have music today.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
5/3/1 Cycle 1
Week 2

Day 3- Benchpress

Benchpress
135x10
190x3
215x3
245x4(vid)
***need to take a longer rest before that last set. also will try POB's advice and try to widen my grip a little more. the last set i noticed looked a little like a CGBP than a regular benchpress

Incline DB Press
70x10
80x8
80x8
100x1
80x6
60x9

Kroc Rows
100x25
100x23
130x16

NOTES
Benchpress- meh, i noted everything important up there ^^^. i am going to post the vid more so you guys and gals can tell me if you think my leg position/drive looks alright. other than that i am going to widen out the grip next weekto just outside shoulder width.
Incline- these felt just a little like awesomeness :D the 100x1 was not a 1RM attempt or anything i was going to shoot for 5 and realized pressing the first rep that the second or thord would most likely be to complete failure. so i backed off to get better work in with the 80s. for some reason my gym seemed to be missing one of the 90s and one of the 95s.
Kroc Rows- these will be a very permanent exercise in my routine. and most likely they will stay with benchpress day since i dont want to do them before deads. each set left me feeling like i was going to throw up. on the 130x16 i used just about every muscle in the upper body responsible for pulling shit to get the last 4-5 reps. i also did these a little different than last week. i didnt dead the weight until i absolutely HAD to. then i just deaded it long enough to regrip and pull some more.

i didnt edit the video since i also want your guys advice on my whole setup/approach to the bar/bench:

this is last weeks. putting it in this post so i can get an easier comparison on my grip and elbow flare/tuck

looks like last week i DID use a wider grip. i am going BACK to that even though i didnt really mean to stray away from it!!!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nice videos gorilla! checked out your gallery as well. you are so young! dang im an old maid :D

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
lol thanks ATW! if it makes you feel better i wouldnt have guessed you as an 35+!!! you kept saying you were old i figured that must mean 31-32 tops

BTW, since you bring it up and would probably know this info seeing as how your gallery has alot of pics: how do you load so many pics? it seems to only want to let me load those 4.... i guess i could delete them to load more but i think i am just screwing something up with it

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic