Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Published on The Strength Agenda, September 13th 2012:
http://www.thestrengthagenda.com/2012/09/13/the-importance-of-omega-3s/

Written by J.Styler

sn-fishoil-470x260.jpg

THE IMPORTANCE OF OMEGA 3

In my experience it seems that as you transition from a beginner into a more seasoned athlete, their awareness of nutrition, supplementation and the needs that should be met, is increased. This is a good thing, as generally speaking experienced weight training athletes will benefit from an inclusion of certain supplements into their diet. This can (and should) be tailored to the individual and their own specific requirements, but I will try to provide you with a reasonably detailed overview of what I feel is the most important one. This first installment will hopefully give you a good understanding of the humble Omega 3.

FISH OIL (OMEGA 3)

I’ve always said that if you are going to spend your money on supplements, then a good, high quality oil should be at the top of your list. They are a good natural choice to treat depression, muscular inflammation or anything specific with regards to the cardiovascular system. With regards on whether to use flax or fish oil, I would be leaning towards fish oil unless you are vegan. Generally women absorb flax oil better than men due to the fact that the body has to convert the oil before it can use it. Most people get enough Omega 6 & 9 through their diet, it’s the Omega 3 that there tends to be more of a requirement for, and the Omega 3 content in the flax oil is a lot lower than what you would get in an Omega 3 supplement sourced from fish.

Most people that use EFAs don’t use them in big enough quantities; 2-3g seems to be the widely accepted dosage. I would say 5g is a good starting point but I wouldn’t be too afraid to go heavy with them, just tailor the dosage to meet your needs & requirements. The only common side effect can be an upset stomach in which case you can just reduce the Omega 3 oils until you start to feel right, much like you would do when you are running big doses of Vitamin C. I would consider a big dosage of Omega 3 to be around the 10-20g mark personally; I know of a top NZ track cycling coach that had his squad on well over 15,000mg Omega 3 a day with good results.

Molecular distillation with fish oil has pros and cons but overall I would argue that it’s not a terribly bad thing with the goal ultimately trying to refine the oil. One of the main advantages is that it helps to remove heavy metals and other potentially dangerous environmental toxins; Mercury is the one we all know about, although there’s many heavy metals that are often naturally present that never really get mentioned. The different components of the oil are able to be split during the distillation process, which allows for greater purity and ultimately will result in better absorption and utilisation by the body.

The negatives would primarily be the cost of the process, and despite more and more brands of fish oil coming onto the market, the cost of the actual refining of the oil is still high. Your cheaper companies that molecularly distill their oils can quite often lose the natural triglyceride form during the process. This is why with Omega 3 you do get what you pay for.

I’m not personally against molecular distillation if it is done to extremely high standards ~ the key points that need to be met and ensured is that a) there is no heat, moisture and high compaction during the distillation process as this can adulterate the biological activity of the nutrients b) avoiding commonly used fillers, binders and synthetic additives such as polyvinylpyrrolidone, crospovidone, rancid oils, yeast, wheat starch (gluten), soy, dairy protein (casein) c) the filters that are used need to be of high standard, and also that in any high concentrate products there needs to be only natural enzymes used (these are used to form triglycerides).

Two examples of what I consider to be both a very high standard of fish oil would be the Solgar ‘Omega-3 700’ and the Nordic Naturals ‘Ultimate Omega'; the Solgar product does not use molecular distillation whereas the Nordic Naturals product does.

Be aware of your diet in combination with running Omega 3′s, as it has been shown in studies that cholesterol-lowering diets can increase the risk of depression. This is due to the decrease in Omega 3 fatty acids that can gradually reduce the DHA levels in the brain (the brain comprises of anywhere up to 60% DHA). DHA is an essential part of the neuronal cell membranes, but if it becomes replaced by Omega 6 fatty acids then the likelihood of depression increases as this can cause changes to the structure of the membranes. You also want to be looking for Omega 3′s that have a good ratio of DHA to EPA. The common ratio tends to be 180/120 but you can get higher than that (usually oils contain higher levels and you do get what you pay for). I have routinely taken up to 18g before on a regular basis and noticed no aches, pains or even DOMS after hard training sessions. **(1) Another bonus is that supplemental EFA’s stimulate muscle protein synthesis in older adults.

It’s advisable to take your Omega 3′s with meals as the food can aid absorption as well as preventing/limiting any reflux, although you can get good quality ‘Reflux Free’ fish oils nowadays. Price is indicative of quality and these are one supplement you do want to be getting as good as you can afford. They are pretty safe overall, just be careful of the interactions they may have with any mood-improving medications you may be taking, as well as blood thinning agents such as Warfarin and aspirin. 3g is a good, sensible starting dose (see below for a more thorough guide to symptomatic dosing).

Other good food sources of healthy fats that may benefit your performance are mixed raw nuts (walnuts, brazil, macadamia are all good), fish, avocado, rice bran oil, almond butter, coconut oil etc. Ideally, you want to be eating a variety of foods that are higher in monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats. MUFAs can be of benefit to insulin levels and blood sugar control and PUFAs (found mostly in plant-based foods and oils) may help decrease the risk of Type II diabetes as well as reducing LDL whilst raising HDL cholesterol. If you are looking to consume Omega 3 through diet alone you need to make sure you are eating raw fish; cooking denatures the Omega 3 as well as reducing the levels of DHA.

OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTATION IN RELATION TO SYMPOMATIC PRESENCE

DOSE:

General health ~ 1,000-2,000mg
Moderate disease/stress ~ 3,000-4,000mg
Mood/behaviour/cognition ~ 5,000mg
Severe disease/stress ~ 6,000mg+
Bipolar disorder ~ 9,600mg (optimal dosage according to studies)

We know from studies that it’s great for improving membrane fluidity, is the brains fat of choice for both function and structure and it holds significant merit for reducing post workout inflammation/DOMS.

References:
** (1) Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Muscle Protein Synthesis: NCT00794079

James Styler, born in the United Kingdom is now a Triathlon/Powerlifting Coach in ChristChurch, New Zealand with over ten years hands-on experience with fitness and health. James has also been a columnist for VO2max magazine for four years writing the “Ask The Trainer’ column as well as having articles published on numerous health, sports performance and science websites such as 1Vigor. James is a 4 x New Zealand Powerlifting Champion with 3 raw records to his name, he finished 15th in the Open Men St James 69km Ultramarathon, has completed 12 marathons and 30+ half marathons. In 2011 he completed the ‘Three Day Endurance Challenge’ where over 72hrs James ran two marathons, cycled 280km and lifted 100,000lbs of weights raising money for Heart Children NZ.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
As soon as I have a little more time I will go into quite a bit of detail explaining the differences between omega 3 and flaxseed oil. Cheers MF.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Q: What's better, flaxseed oil or fish oil?

A: I really feel that Omega 3 is a better choice for a number of reasons ~ it has better utilisation and bioavailability, omega 3 is anti-inflammatory whereas omega 6 is pro-inflammatory (it increases the production of inflammatory chemicals known as eicosanoids) and omega 3 offers a lot more benefits in terms of CV health. Flaxseed oil is actually not that great when you look into it in a little more detail. Omega 3 is usable straightaway and we can all benefit from taking it, flaxeed oil on the other hand has to be converted in the body before we can utilise it:

dossier-mvo5.gif

Reference:

http://www.vettefeiten.nl/en/file-producers-of-margarines-fats-and-oils-information-article-omega3.html

This flowchart goes into a little more detail whilst still remaining easy to follow:

MetabolicChart.gif

Now when you start looking at what happens to flax in the body you'll notice that flaxseed has very poor EPA conversion of around 10% and ZERO conversion to DHA (DHA is an extremely important omega 3 fatty acid with benefits to the eyes, brain, heart and nervous system). Also worth bearing in mind is that most people are significantly deficient in Omega 3's, and the ingestion of Omega 6 further reduces them. Just to make matters even worse, women tend to be more efficient at converting it than men are.

Researchers and scientists
are repeatedly finding that the countries/people with the lowest recorded incidence of cardiovascular disease also have a very high, regular intake of omega 3 fatty acids (and other healthy EFA components such as HUFA's, PUFA's, arachidonic acid etc). The Okinawans and Inuit's for example have been shown to have an average Omega 3 intake of around 17,000mg and their race has virtually NO cholesterol, heart or CV problems. These types of ethicities have zero/very minimal elevations in cardiac inflammatory biomarkers, which was one of the main differences the researchers noticed in their studies.

Q: Do you think there is a significant difference in the Ethyl ester vs the Triglyceride ester?

A: Yes there is a big difference in the absorption and bioavailability of concentrated omega 3 versus omega 3 in the ester form, and this has been scientifically proven:

Triglyceride Form 70% Higher Absorption

Nordic Naturals’ exclusive commitment to fish oil in triglyceride form gains
new scientific backing—science now validates 70% higher absorption of
concentrated fish oil in triglyceride form over ethyl ester form.

Bioavailability of marine n-3 fatty acid formulations

Reprinted from Publication Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, 80, J. Dyerberg, P. Madsen, J.M. Møller, I. Aardestrup, E.B. Schmidt, Bioavailability of marine n-3 fatty acid formulations, 137-141, copyright 2010, with permission from Elsevier.

PDF of the study here:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/images/pdfs/tgstudy.pdf

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Rider, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them MF.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
great info! i just have to ask: what brand of fish oil do u recommend that is both affordable yet, offers the best punch as far as omega 3's are concerned? and since these two groups :

Okinawans and Inuit's for example have been shown to have an average Omega 3 intake of around 17,000mg and their race has virtually NO cholesterol, heart or CV problems

how much would it take in ur research, in order to help lower someones cholesterol?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
great info! i just have to ask: what brand of fish oil do u recommend that is both affordable yet, offers the best punch as far as omega 3's are concerned?
Well here are two good brands, all of the Nordic Naturals range is damn good (and I don't work for them or Solgar btw)! Although these products have obvious distinct differences either of them would be a good choice:

images
solgar-omega-3-700.jpg

Nordic Naturals use molecular distillation whereas Solgar do not. Molecular distillation has its' good and not-so-good points, but on the whole despite that glaring difference they are still two of the highest quality and purest omega 3 oils available right now. Price is indicative of quality in terms of fishoil, so there really isn't a cheap AND high quality one IMHO.

how much would it take in ur research, in order to help lower someones cholesterol?
I would be starting off with 6,000mg/day and then adjusting that accordingly to how the individual responds; ideally I would want to be getting HDL/LDL ratios and total cholesterol checked every six months.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I'm a big fan of fish oil. I use this one http://www.pipingrock.com/sale-items/triple-strength-omega-3-fish-oil-1360-mg-961 - not sure how it is purified though, chose it due to high content and low price point...
Looks okay, not sure about the quality of the oil. 'Purifying' it usually means that at some point it has to become exposed to air, and oxygenation isn't a good thing for oils.

Good strength though, I do like that about it. Do you take it for any particular reason(s)?

Dking13

Dking13

May 30, 2013
I use chia seeds seems to work for me.... 2700mg omega 3 per serving

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic